PDA

View Full Version : can i make a box out of fiberglass?

noob with an RS
05-09-2005, 05:10 AM
would it be possible to make a subwoofer enclosure out of fiberglass? like an airtight sealed box basically? several layers of course. how many layers would be needed in order for it to not flex?

cheeseburger35
05-09-2005, 05:11 AM
where have you been?? http://www.caraudio.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=25 i used 7 layers on my last project and it was solid..

req
05-09-2005, 09:54 AM
would it be possible to make a subwoofer enclosure out of fiberglass? like an airtight sealed box basically? several layers of course. how many layers would be needed in order for it to not flex?

would it be possible for you to use your brain and click the SEARCH button on that black bar about 3~4 inches away from my post on your screen?

fiberglass has been used in car audio for YEARS dude. :uhoh:

GCAdidas13
05-09-2005, 10:34 AM
lol noob with an RS is just that - a noob.

dude fiberglassing is easy. it just takes

time
money
patience
a little effort
ability to NOT mess things up
willingness to possibly ruin fabrics of your car if not done properly

UndercoverPunk
05-09-2005, 10:48 AM
good luck, if you can't figure out fiberglass with the search, you probably shouldn't try ;)

ruckus
05-09-2005, 11:11 AM
search? its a friggin sticky on the top of the forum. I think this is a <>< thread.

Anyways to make something out of this thread, Req you ever try flexi speaker carpet instead of fleece as a first layer? I seen that in one tutorial and was thinking of doing it as it seemed it would make a thick layer for stability.

req
05-09-2005, 11:50 AM
search? its a friggin sticky on the top of the forum. I think this is a <>< thread.

Anyways to make something out of this thread, Req you ever try flexi speaker carpet instead of fleece as a first layer? I seen that in one tutorial and was thinking of doing it as it seemed it would make a thick layer for stability.

ive thought about it - but its not as strong as fleece because its like a billion cajillion times thinner than fleece. its good for detail work, but fleece ***** up an assload of resin and is good for a nice thick-*** base layer.

ruckus
05-09-2005, 04:22 PM
where do you get your fleece from? Im gonna be doing my first trunk box probably this upcoming weekend. Since im recarpating my trunk now is the time to do it.

xchaosx
05-10-2005, 06:56 AM
any fabric shop will have it i like to use 80% cotton 20% polyester it takes the resin better

req
05-10-2005, 09:06 AM
the fabric store across the street has tons of it.

usually like 50" wide by $X per yard (usually between $5 and $10 per yard)