PDA

View Full Version : New box for 2x 10'' RE SE

seth350
05-08-2005, 02:09 PM
First let me give you some info. Im trying to be the loudest single cab truck in my town without cutting. My truck is a 92' Silverado single cab with 50sqft of Fatmat in it. So please keep this in mind when answering my questions.

My box now is 2.5 cuft and tuned at 41hz. Its a standard wedge box with the port on the passenger side facing the side panel.

The box dimensions are 55'' long, 3" deep at the top, 9'' deep at the bottom, and 17'' tall. The port is 3''x8'' and is 11'' long. It also has a brace inside the box.

Now for my new box Im going to have to make it bigger naturally and while Im at it make it as good as possible. Meaning every little thing that I can do to help out on making it louder will be done.

First of all let me ask this, the RE SEs require 6'' of depth. My box now has exactly that. So of course I must make room for the subs. I moved my seat up to see how much leway I have and when I did I had about 2" between the back of my seat and sub. And I think I could come up a little more. I also measured and I could bring the top out 6'' and if I did it would give me 7.5'' of mounting depth. But I think my subs would be right against the back of my seat and my subs now are kinda that way. So, for all of you install experts....
Whats the max I can bring the top depth out and still keep my leg room and achieve enough depth for the SEs? Do I really need alot of space between the magnet and the wood or do I just need enough so it doesnt touch?

Next question...
As I said I want to be the loudest single cab truck in my town. To be loud you gotta have a good box. So, what all can I do while building my box to make it louder? What changes can I make with the port? What about bracing? Tuning? Other ideas?
Also, a problem I had with my current box is the screws would get loose and start vibrating and make the wood sqeak and crap. Would predrilling the holes correct this? And does predrilling make the box stronger?

Perhaps my biggest problem...
I cannot cut wood worth a ****. I had a friend do my box and he cut everything perfect. I used a table saw with a guide and a hand held saw. What I do is I try to compensate for the thickness of the blade and I always end up off or it wont be straight. Any tips for cutting MDF? Ive made 3 boxes so far and all came out pretty decent. Cept my cuts ******. Just please someone guide me in the right direction on this one. It takes me FOREVER to build a box b/c I mess the cuts up. Plus I would like to start building boxes as a little money maker. Plus I love doing it and why not get paid for doing something you love? :)

But I know its a long post but I just want to be put in the right direction and need a little help in the process.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate all who help :)
-Seth

seth350
05-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Oh and here is what my current box looks like so you have some more to go by.

the_noob
05-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Do you have room to invert the subs to where they stick out between the seats? It could save you some space and you wouldn't have to worry so much about mounting depth.

seth350
05-08-2005, 06:05 PM
I have a bench seat so sadly I cant. I wish I could tho, that would be sweet :)

AzGrower
05-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Why havent you asked this question over at FSC yet?

seth350
05-09-2005, 12:31 AM
Ok I will then :)