PDA

View Full Version : Really "SSssssssy" tweeters

Exaran
05-08-2005, 01:05 AM
I have a problem with my tweeters making an ultra harsh noise on "S" sounds in vocals and with some cymbal hits. I believe its called being symbiolent or something like that thats spelled correctly :p:

I'm running some peerless softdome tweets http://www.speakercity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SC&Product_Code=811434&Category_Code=P1Neo and my stock mids in a 2002 Neon. The tweets are mounted in the stock dash locations, and the tweets and mids are on 2nd order home-made passive crossovers at ~2500hz

Any ideas on how I might solve this? Could it be poor construction in my crossovers, or a bad x-over point? I hear that the orientation of your inductance coils can make a difference (the field from one coil can affect the other), but i dont know how..... or do these tweets just ****?

Thanks for the help :)

Beat_Dominator
05-08-2005, 01:08 AM
I have that same problem. It's made worse by the fact that drawn out "S" sounds are like a pet peeve for me.

The best solution I have found was to tweak my eq settings around the 16khz point. I'm interested if someone has some ideas I haven't tried :p:

Exaran
05-08-2005, 01:15 AM
SIBILANCE PWNZ J00 !!!
LOL, yes, yes it does! :p:

thanks for the spelling clarification :)

kuijo
05-08-2005, 01:15 AM
I have the same problem, but i have coaxils

PeaveyBassist
05-08-2005, 01:45 AM
My dad had an '01 neon. I know that the stock tweets are way sibilant. Maybe its more of a tweet location/aiming thing?

Will

Exaran
05-08-2005, 01:51 AM
My dad had an '01 neon. I know that the stock tweets are way sibilant. Maybe its more of a tweet location/aiming thing?

Will

Mine were the same stock... I was hoping these aftermarket ones would help, but they actually made it worse :uhoh: trying the stock tweets at the kicks helped a little, but not enough to totally solve the problem I think... I havent tried the peerless's down there yet.

PeaveyBassist
05-08-2005, 01:53 AM
Try moving them down into the kicks and making them more off axis. That should help a little. Either that or see if you can turn down 8kHz or 10kHz on an EQ in the HU or something. 8kHz - 10kHz is where sibilance comes from :)

Will

cobra133
05-08-2005, 03:03 AM
you could try using a silk tweeter

squeak9798
05-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Try different aiming them more off axis and/or EQ tweaking as mentioned.