PDA

View Full Version : Specific Trunk Fiberglass Idea *pic

GCAdidas13
05-07-2005, 12:42 PM
How does one create a build-in on the trunk, where one builds every side of the trunk up with fiberglass, and creates a top piece out of MDF that encompasses the whole trunk?

what i mean, is that I want to glass in a bowl shape, all the way to the edges of my trunk and about a foot upwards, then put a large piece of MDF on top.

http://img20.echo.cx/img20/2493/untitled2hk.jpg

This is a view horizontally from the back of the trunk.
Basically the top of the red is a large piece of MDF, and the bottom rounded pieces of red is the bottom of the fiberglass box. The green is the opening of the trunk, and the dashed lines show the bottom of the trunk.

Anyways - the main question, is how do you attach the baffle onto the fiberglass once you have fiberglassed the bottom of the trunk? Keep in mind that this is a build-in, and you won't be able to remove the fiberglass mold to attach the mdf baffle.

This is for two 15"avalanches.

THX

ngsm13
05-07-2005, 01:40 PM
MS paint > joo...big time

But yeah, lots of jig-sawing...little glass possibly...LOTS o' silicone...MAKE IT HAPPEN ;)

NG

GCAdidas13
05-07-2005, 01:42 PM
i'm no REQ!

um i mean,

if you make a medium sized bowl of fiberglass... and want to adhere the mdf baffle TO that bowl of fiberglass.. how do you do that exactly

WheresTheButta
05-07-2005, 01:48 PM
what do you drive?
my mustang has the same miserable shaped trunk opening...
that's why I'm gonna glass too.

dbornotdb
05-07-2005, 01:52 PM
After you have your "bowl" made, I would see about setting the MDF onto the sides of it with silicone to seal it and then fiberglass it on there. Like add fiberglass to the edge to make the 2 peices one.

Sure the fiberglass would seal it up, but the silicone would help position the MDF there. So doing this, you wouldn't need to fiberglass side up. Just fiberglass the floor. Then add the MDF top.

pearldrummer
05-07-2005, 01:58 PM
im not the greatest with fiberglass, but i would make the bowl and then cut out the top peice of mdf. then made sure the mdf is braced because im sure those subs are heavy and then i would strech fleece from the edge of the bowl to the mdf.

GCAdidas13
05-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Well that's the thing... when I attach the MDF to the fiberglass, I do not want to fiberglass on the outside of the box, because then i have to sand fiberglass inside of my car and that would not be fun at all. it would be easy to do but the aftereffects would be astonishingly sucky.

what if i have holes cut out for the subs beforehand, then reach through the holes and put three or so layers of fiberglass in the seam?

maybe this isn't so easy

dbornotdb
05-07-2005, 02:40 PM
No no no......I don't see where you would have to do any fiberglassing on the outside of it.

1)----Lay your fiberglass down and thick to make your floor "bowl".

2)----Cut some MDF sides and lay them on the edges of the fiberglassed floor and fiberglass them to the floor on the insides. I would double up the sides so they are 1.5". (see attached pic)

3)----Add internal bracing so the baffle doesn't vibrate.

4)----Cut the top piece and secure down. Add subs and enjoy.

AzGrower
05-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Check out Tim Baillie's site for some nice build pics of trunks. Maybe you can find what you are looking for there:
http://www.hzemall.com/our_gallery/hzemall_gallery.htm
http://www.hzemall.com/our_gallery/installs/mustang/trunk.htm

THUNDERBIRD
05-07-2005, 11:18 PM
No no no......I don't see where you would have to do any fiberglassing on the outside of it.

1)----Lay your fiberglass down and thick to make your floor "bowl".

2)----Cut some MDF sides and lay them on the edges of the fiberglassed floor and fiberglass them to the floor on the insides. I would double up the sides so they are 1.5". (see attached pic)

3)----Add internal bracing so the baffle doesn't vibrate.

4)----Cut the top piece and secure down. Add subs and enjoy.

sounds good to me