PDA

View Full Version : Amount needed? fiberglassing

ruckus
05-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Ok i see alot of tutorials on fiberlglassing but i havent seen anything on the amount of stuff needed. How much resin, fleece, fiberglass, etc. is needed for a typical trunk speaker box. I know no one can give exacts but 1 gallon of resign 5 gallons 10 gallons? I wouldnt want to overkill the amount purchased for a 1 time project for a small trunk box for 2 12" subs.

Acidburn
05-06-2005, 09:34 PM
less than a gallon

ruckus
05-06-2005, 09:39 PM
really? Cool I thought it would take more. wish me luck on my first fiber attempt :crazy:

lotas
05-06-2005, 09:41 PM
yeah you will probably use about 3/4 of a gallon, but I would get a gallon just to be safe, i believe each pack of mat is 9sq ft (?) , you will probably want 3-6 packs, depending on how many layers you plan on using. I guess I should just say 3 or more. I never find the 1tube of hardener that comes iwth the resin to be enough, so you might want 2tubes per gallon.

Maybe 1-1.5sq yd of fleece? I used 1sq yd of polyester for my 1 12" but its pretty big, about 36" wide. Anyways, theres a large chance that after this fiberglassing experience you will come to love it and will probably be using your left over supplies for something else

BY THE WAY: All that info is from my experience with Home Depot. If you are getting stuff from a Marina or another source with a different brand, it might vary.

ruckus
05-06-2005, 10:28 PM
yeah i was thinking of buy a roll of fiberglass and maybe selling off the excess. You think i should go with fiberglass mat or cloth?

bcarpenterfhl
05-06-2005, 10:30 PM
mat is much stronger, but cloth is much more easier to work with. i'd use cloth and just do some extra layers. if all goes well, you should have minimal bondo/sanding work.

ruckus
05-07-2005, 10:42 AM
thanks for all theinput guys I appreciate it.