PDA

View Full Version : The Great Tease Thread (glassed door panels)

dbornotdb
05-06-2005, 08:29 PM
I named it that instead of any type of work log since I don't know how often I will update this with pics. I will do my best though.

So the customer sent me a couple packages. Here are the contents of package #1.................

http://home.earthlink.net/~evilempire43/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/goods1.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~evilempire43/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/goods2.jpg

4 RE 8's and 2 sets of Orion P6.2 components. Various wires and tweeter cups and the crossovers. :yumyum:

dbornotdb
05-06-2005, 08:31 PM
And package #2 contained 4 door panels to house said audio.

Here are a shot of the front panels.

http://home.earthlink.net/~evilempire43/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1unpacked.jpg

These are out of a 4 door Blazer.

dbornotdb
05-06-2005, 08:34 PM
So next we start dismantling stuff. Destruction is fun. :up2somet:

http://home.earthlink.net/~evilempire43/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2stripback.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~evilempire43/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/3teardown.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~evilempire43/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/4grillcut.jpg

dbornotdb
05-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Maybe kinda set it up like this?

http://home.earthlink.net/~evilempire43/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/5layout.jpg

dbornotdb
05-06-2005, 08:38 PM
So I made my temp baffle to check out clearance of the door sills.

I think I need to shorten this up by 1/4". Maybe 1/2".

http://home.earthlink.net/~evilempire43/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/6baffle.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~evilempire43/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/7baffle.jpg

amedeuce
05-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Looks good. I'm not sure about a couple things. Im not an expert by any means,
But isn't the re8 a dedicated subwoofer? Will It sound right in a door infinite baffle? Or are you building an enclosure for it.
And two sets of comps? How will that sound? I'm assuming the second set will be in the back doors, but isn't that a little much for rear fill??

InhumanAcura
05-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Looks good. I'm not sure about a couple things. Im not an expert by any means,
But isn't the re8 a dedicated subwoofer? Will It sound right in a door infinite baffle? Or are you building an enclosure for it.
And two sets of comps? How will that sound? I'm assuming the second set will be in the back doors, but isn't that a little much for rear fill??

the customer is always right...meaning, im guessing thats what the guy who's paying him to do it wants...

JoseMCeee
05-06-2005, 09:19 PM
i myself like rear fill but when u got a 8 inch sub and a 6.5 mid bass wit a tweet in the front... thats just dumb

chubby
05-06-2005, 09:29 PM
why not put the tweet up in the sail pod?

also, why dosent the customer do a 3 way setup up front with a 6.5 and 5.25 or 4 and then tweeter, and put the subs elsewhere? or have it set up like you do in the picture, with the tweets setup with a pair of 4" midranges in kicks.

req
05-06-2005, 09:32 PM
substage in front > substage in back

lookin good mr. born

i would like to see mroe :)

amedeuce
05-06-2005, 11:51 PM
the customer is always right...meaning, im guessing thats what the guy who's paying him to do it wants...
The customer isn't always right. Sometimes the customer is uninformed and needs to be educated.

dbornotdb
05-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Chill, chill people. :cool:

I will answer what I can and then explain the entire set-up to you.

The 8's will have their own enclosure. The 6.5's will be infinite baffle. As infinite as doors can get anyways. The tweeters placement is not set in stone. I will play around with that option.

Now here is the break down of his set-up. As best as I can remember. He is a member here and will correct me if I mess it up.

He has 2 - 12" SX subs in a ported box tuned to 32hz running off an Orion 2500 mono amp.
The 8's will also be playing subbass, but only when the 12's are turned off. They will have their own 800.4 Orion amp, I think.
The 6.5 components will also be on an Orion 800.4 and play from 80hz and up or something in that range.

Each door, thats 4 of them, will have a 8, a 6.5 and a tweeter.
I am pretty sure the goal here is to be heard with some clarity.

Did that get all the questions? :crazy:

JoseMCeee
05-07-2005, 02:08 AM
i gess so. So he wants to have 2 setups in one? A flick of a switch and he has 8s playing bass or the sxs hitting? wateva

req
05-07-2005, 02:54 AM
id rather upgrade to a better midbass (elemental designs EU-700?) driver in each door and run everything together with an active crossover and a good EQ. :p:

but thats me.
do you plan on glassing right onto the door? or do you plan on a 'removeable pod' idea?

dbornotdb
05-07-2005, 02:59 AM
do you plan on glassing right onto the door? or do you plan on a 'removeable pod' idea?

Straight to the door. Basically a total redesign.

AzGrower
05-07-2005, 10:28 AM
id rather upgrade to a better midbass (elemental designs EU-700?) driver in each door

Dammn, and this thread didnt even make it to the second page before someone had to mention eD.

Now I will tell you my opinion: The orginal poster took the time to post this thread for us to see some fabrication work done. I dont believe he intended for this thread to become (like most of the other thread in this forum) a bashing of the customer's audio equipment choices, and that how Brand B is way better than Brand A. Let him finish posting pics of the build, and try to keep the comments centered around the FABRICATION, because this is in the fabrication section, correct?

MetalMaxima
05-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Dammn, and this thread didnt even make it to the second page before someone had to mention eD.

Now I will tell you my opinion: The orginal poster took the time to post this thread for us to see some fabrication work done. I dont believe he intended for this thread to become (like most of the other thread in this forum) a bashing of the customer's audio equipment choices, and that how Brand B is way better than Brand A. Let him finish posting pics of the build, and try to keep the comments centered around the FABRICATION, because this is in the fabrication section, correct?

**** great 1st post!!!! :veryhapp:

amedeuce
05-07-2005, 01:29 PM

Were you using your tough internet voice when you typed this??
People are going to have their Entitled opinions especially when someone posts something on a "message forum" That is the idea. You post something to get peoples opinions, good or bad, whether you want it or not, you're gonna get it....Thank you have a nice day see ya later :imdama:

AzGrower
05-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Hmm, didnt realize it was my first post. Been a long time reader, and now I guess first time poster.

I understand that everyone has an opinion, as I stated mine. Its just I have seen far too many times (on this forum and others I visit) that the threads either get "*****d up" or bashed to crap with irrelevant information or nonsense.

I dont see in his OG post where he stated if the equipment the customer chose was a good choice, or to state our opinions on the choice of speakers. So hence we should only try to comment on the fabrication aspect of the build and not focus on suggestions on how Brand X is gonna make the system sound better. Cause frankly, the imaging of the system is whats gonna matter in the end. I have heard many DIY systems which used $25 drivers and $10 tweeters sound better than Brand X, mainly due to the fact that the imaging, fabrication, and placement of the equipment was top priority. Thats what we should be focusing on for this thread. Now if in the "Speaker" section, some newbie asks the "which component set is best?" type of question, then fire away. But it seems that all too many times Brand "e" is always tossed out into the mix when the original post had nothing what so ever to do with it.

Kinda like if someone says, "hey did you catch last night's episode of American Chopper?" Then some knucklehead will write, "yeah but the bike would have been much better if it had Brand "e" components installed in it!"

Okay, I am done.

El Chingon

dbornotdb
05-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Hey it is all cool. I know everyone is not gonna like what I do.

I like the components he has here. I think they will sound good. I have never personally heard eD in action so I don't know what they sound like.
Hell, I have all Pioneer in mine for mids and tweets. :eek:

But like was said, it all depends on the install and the HU. At least thats my opinion.
But that is not why this thread was started. Tell me what you think of the design. I am open to all sorts or critisism. My feelings don't get hurt.
The baffle there will have another 1/2" ring on it so the press in grill will sit flush. Picture that and maybe you will get a better view of it.
Also, the passive crossover will probally be flushed into the panel somewhere.

kmart fan6
05-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Hey where is bradenton? Im looking for somebody to do some work on my 2000 Altima door panels, but everybody around here is idiots. Let me know

dbornotdb
05-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Hey where is bradenton? Im looking for somebody to do some work on my 2000 Altima door panels, but everybody around here is idiots. Let me know

Just south of Tampa. About 45 minutes down I-75 off of I-4.

I know some people in Jax and have done work for people from there.

AzGrower
05-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Tell me what you think of the design. I am open to all sorts or critisism. My feelings don't get hurt.

The design is good so far, but are kick panels not out of the question for the 8" driver? As long as you keep the 8" crossed over above 80hz, you can still have some sort of imaging, (below that point everything becomes non-directional) which may be better in the kick areas. Just a thought. The 8s are gonna be actively crossed via the amp I suppose?

Edit, nevermind, I just re-read the OG post and remembered he wants the 8s to be his daily driver bass, which an still work in the kicks, but crossed over say from 35-80 ish or even 100hz top limit.

dbornotdb
05-07-2005, 03:49 PM
I don't think I would be able to generate the required airspace in the kick panels.

And I don't have his kick panels. See, he lives in New Jersey. He sent me all his stuff and we went over some different designs.

I'm sure he will see this soon and comment.

AzGrower
05-07-2005, 04:03 PM
You could, but you would need to do some major fabrication to his vehicle, and like you said, he is a few states away. Didnt realize that this was a "mail order" build. That makes it difficult. Your design so far looks great. Keep us posted on the new work.

jujumantb
05-07-2005, 04:11 PM
How do you plan on knowing how deep you can make the enclosure for the RE8s without knowing where all the door mechanisms reside?

dbornotdb
05-07-2005, 04:16 PM
How do you plan on knowing how deep you can make the enclosure for the RE8s without knowing where all the door mechanisms reside?

I have a Blazer also. ;)

Mine is only 2 door though. So the back door panels will be tricky. I will work off pics for them.

squeak9798
05-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Stupid question;

How do you know that it's actually going to sound good when you are done? Not talking about simply "clarity", but soundstage, imaging, etc etc. Or was the customer not worried about any of that, and just wanted it to look good?

dbornotdb
05-07-2005, 04:28 PM
It is probally more looks.

But from building my Blazer 2 other previous times, I have a decent idea of where to place the speakers in them. I have done many many s-series trucks.

So in all reality, it is looks top goal, a close second would be clarity and volume. Just my guess though.

TooLowTooGo
05-07-2005, 11:02 PM
ok ok.. havent seen this till now. so let me answer some questions.

well i chose this setup for 2 reasons
1. I will have all RE and Orion Products in my vehicle.
2. this is going to be a show truck. I will be competing with it in SPL comps aswell, i kno mixing sub sizes aint good, 1 reason ima have a switch on the 8's

i trust n e thing DB is going to do with the panels.. if u have ever seen his work then u would know why. who ever hasnt posted post *Subscribed* cause when he is done those panels will be out of this world.

now i heard a coment about ED.. now they are a company just like RE not many people know of them around my area. I chose RE cause they are clean looking, cheap, o yeah n had a group buy...hahahaha
if all does not work out with the RE's i will try other brands, last cause i will go with JL, but since i would like to be a custom truck..i would like to have products nobody hears of.

I read a few coments about the setup being (1)8 (1)6.5 (1)tweeter in each door panel. well i chose this setup cause i think its a clean install. I wont be doing it int he kick panels since this is still my daily driver, plus eventually the doors will prolly be suicided to see them beautiful panels;)

now about the customer being right.. IM ALWAYS RIGHT!!! hahaha

if u have n e other questions, i can try n answer them in the best possible way and asap.

THUNDERBIRD
05-08-2005, 12:06 AM
i think it is gonna be dope

dbornotdb
05-09-2005, 09:08 PM
So today I got to go to Home Depot and get a new router and table. :veryexci:

dbornotdb
05-09-2005, 09:10 PM
Then I set the panels on my doors to check out clearances.

dbornotdb
05-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Here is a shot of the doors closing over the sills. 1/4" clearance.

dbornotdb
05-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Then I looked closer and noticed that when the fabric would be pulled from the door panel to the baffle, it would taper down more and not clear. And then the resined fabric would also be about a 1/4" thick, so on to plan #2.

The red line I added represents the path the fabric would follow. So it would hit. :furious:

dbornotdb
05-09-2005, 09:20 PM
So plan #2 is to have the 6.5 sit over and stagger out over the 8. When I get them on the door tomorrow, it will be more clear.

But this is me making the new rings with my new router. :rolleyes:

Insomniac119
05-10-2005, 12:12 AM
how about this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/Insomniac119/door.bmp

A=tweeter
B=midrange
C=subwoofer
D=the crossover or something behind plexi

It might be more than you want to do, but just charge him extra ;).

dbornotdb
05-10-2005, 12:29 AM
how about this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/Insomniac119/door.bmp

A=tweeter
B=midrange
C=subwoofer
D=the crossover or something behind plexi

It might be more than you want to do, but just charge him extra ;).

The problem with that would be the mounting depth of the 8.
If I have the 8 in the lower corner, I have alot of room.
I kicked an idea around today similar to yours. Since I am still just mocking it up and testing out ideas, anything is liable for change.

Bluntman420
05-10-2005, 12:45 AM
nice work....want to do mine?...seriously...want to?...pm me if you want to do another set...thanks.

dbornotdb
05-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Couple quick shots of the rear doors mocked up.

dbornotdb
05-10-2005, 11:36 PM
And another.

Bigrick31
05-10-2005, 11:42 PM
looking good db. cant wate to have you do my doors. oh and on a side not that steering wheel should be to you by the end of the week.

xchaosx
05-12-2005, 08:42 AM
nice that should look great when done BTW what do you want for the tv's in the steering wheel 2000 s10

dbornotdb
05-16-2005, 05:47 PM
nice that should look great when done BTW what do you want for the tv's in the steering wheel 2000 s10

nice work....want to do mine?...seriously...want to?...pm me if you want to do another set...thanks.

I had PMed both of you. Have not gotten one back. :rolleyes:

dbornotdb
05-16-2005, 05:49 PM
So in the previous pics, you saw I was gonna have clearance problems with the door closed. So I redesigned them.
Have a look.

http://home.earthlink.net/~evilempire43/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/frontstretched.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~evilempire43/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/frontstretchedsingle.jpg

dbornotdb
05-16-2005, 05:52 PM
I also redid the rear panels. Decided to go with just a 6.5 in the rear panel. The 8 will go somewhere yet to be determined.

I also have the rear panels covered and ready for resin, but I had to clean up fast and dip out. Pics tomorrow. :naughty:

TooLowTooGo
05-16-2005, 08:15 PM
yeah ****in 4 door blazers rear doors wont fit the **** ****in 8's :(

Damaso87
05-16-2005, 10:44 PM
**** fleece you got there.

TPABlazer
05-17-2005, 03:39 PM
Interested to see how these come out.. going to do my blazer doors next week I think...

req
05-17-2005, 04:03 PM
i wish i could do this to my doors, but i dont feel comfertable doing it the same way again (im redoing mine)

it came out looking great, but i would have to cut out a large portion of the door frame, and i dont wanna do that - espically since a few of the mounts are there.

good thing i had a spare :)

are you worried at all that the resin wont stick to the ABS?

TPABlazer
05-17-2005, 04:12 PM
are you worried at all that the resin wont stick to the ABS?

I was curious about the fleece sticking to the panel too, especially during the glassing.

I am gonna butcher mine up.. I have a tweeter hole already cut in it..so why not eh?

dbornotdb
05-17-2005, 06:53 PM
Not shown are holes around the edges for the resin to get ahold of. I can get a pic of that if you would like to see my technique. :p:

dbornotdb
05-17-2005, 06:56 PM
**** fleece you got there.

It is actually a lycra/polyester blend.
Other wise called bathing suit material in the fabric shop. Got it off the clearance shelf.
This particular pattern is about an 1/8" thick and very stretchy.
I also got a nice smily face print that isn't as thick and it stretches twice as much. Use that for kicks and consoles.

dbornotdb
05-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Now back to progress. Or is it a lack of it?

At least i got something done.

Ran out of resin. Thought I had 2 gallons. I was wrong.

But here is what 1 gallon will cover good and thick.

http://home.earthlink.net/~evilempire43/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/alldrying.jpg

dbornotdb
05-17-2005, 07:01 PM
The front doors drying.

http://home.earthlink.net/~evilempire43/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/frontdrying.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~evilempire43/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1frontdrying.jpg

dbornotdb
05-17-2005, 07:03 PM
And the redesigned rear doors.

No longer housing an 8. Just a 6.5 component set.

http://home.earthlink.net/~evilempire43/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/reardrying.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~evilempire43/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1reardrying.jpg

dbornotdb
05-17-2005, 07:05 PM
That is all till i go get some more resin. Since I have other stuff to do, it may be a couple days. I don't know.

And to those who are gonna mention something about the missing pics on page 1, I deleted them off my host to conserve room since I changed the layout. Pardon my dust. :cool:

chubby
05-17-2005, 07:08 PM
sweeeeeeeeeet
fleece