PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglassing a door panel speaker pod...need some help!

loudfivepoint0
05-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Alright let me start off by saying this is my first time glassing anything. I have read lots of tutorials so I think i'm pretty well prepared. I am planning on cutting out some 1/4 paneling (yes like you put on walls) and using that as my base. I'll cut that to a shape and then use 1/2 particle board (because I have it lying around) to make the "mdf" rings. Then I'll test fit and aim the speakers and hot glue the ring in place.

I was wondering if any common materials other than fleece can be used to get the basic shape, and I also was wondering if the area under the fiberglass had to be filled in? I am thinking about making the 6.5" speakers that will be in the pods, sealed......is that a good idea? They are only my midbasses, I have tweets too. Will that improve the sounds overall?

What could I do to mount the fiberglassed pods to the door panels? Would contact cement work well? I am a newb at this and I know alot of these questions can probably be answered by searching, but I have looked through ALOT of threads and haven't found these answers yet...Please help me out!!

Insomniac119
05-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Placing the tweets higher up (like in the sails or the A piller) will give you better imaging and sound quality, but if they're too far away from the midbass you could get small gap between the time the tweets reach your ears the the midbass reached your ears. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but you might want to consider it. It's suggested that they not be a foot away from each other.

To mount the pod to your door panel, you'll have to drills holes and bolt them together. This is the best and most secure way that I know of.

chubby
05-08-2005, 02:50 AM
ditto on the pod mounting, im doing the same project more or less. i think i will sand down the area on the door, and screw the pods into the door. my pods are IB btw

AzGrower
05-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Check out this post, it was like 4 thread down on the list. Next time try and :search:
before posting a question, it saves server space.

http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97907