PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade...

skierxx5556
05-05-2005, 02:14 PM
so i am looking to upgrade the stereo in my 2003 Nissan Maxima. i have been looking at a few different brands of speakers but need opinions on what i should go with here. MB-Quart is one of the brands that i am looking at i have had experience with these speakers before and they were amazing but im not sure if i want to spend the money on them. i have also been looking at Rainbow speakers and until about a few days ago had never heard of them, but from what i have seen on their website they look pretty legit but i really know nothing about these speakers or car audio in general so any help here is really appreciated...

sirloin
05-05-2005, 02:18 PM
doode ive been in this forum for almost two days..and the only post reply that i have gotten is from my myself...kinda sad huh? well so far from what i have read...DLS, focals, rainbows, CDT are the good brands..i think im leaving a couple out..but those are the ones most refered..i suggest just reading around you'll learn alot. but trust me you'll be hard pressed to get an answer to such a vague question

negativezeroz
05-05-2005, 07:13 PM
JBL (if you can get the GTi) or Infinity (if you can get the Perfect 5.1/6.1)

all their lines are good :imo:

rideac1
05-06-2005, 04:57 PM
MB Quarts are great! The reference components sound incredible and can handle some nice power. onlinecarstereo.com has a good price on speakers, a little more than ebay, but has a warranty.

Trancer
05-06-2005, 06:41 PM
I hated the Infinity Perfects. Infinity's middle line; the Kappa series is better.

3.5Max6spd
05-06-2005, 07:15 PM
so i am looking to upgrade the stereo in my 2003 Nissan Maxima. i have been looking at a few different brands of speakers but need opinions on what i should go with here. MB-Quart is one of the brands that i am looking at i have had experience with these speakers before and they were amazing but im not sure if i want to spend the money on them. i have also been looking at Rainbow speakers and until about a few days ago had never heard of them, but from what i have seen on their website they look pretty legit but i really know nothing about these speakers or car audio in general so any help here is really appreciated...

What's your budget?

What type of music do you listen to?

Do you like sharp highs or smooth highs?

What power do you plan on running to these components?

Do you have an amplifier?

Are you limited to only using factory locations?

Are you using the stock or aftermarket HU?

Will you be running a powered subwoofer?

I can tell you from experience that our factory tweeter locations are not very friendly to the use of most Aluminum/metallic tweeters- reflections are insane off the glass and an EQ nightmare IMO.

skierxx5556
05-07-2005, 01:13 PM
What's your budget?

What type of music do you listen to?

Do you like sharp highs or smooth highs?

What power do you plan on running to these components?

Do you have an amplifier?

Are you limited to only using factory locations?

Are you using the stock or aftermarket HU?

Will you be running a powered subwoofer?

I can tell you from experience that our factory tweeter locations are not very friendly to the use of most Aluminum/metallic tweeters- reflections are insane off the glass and an EQ nightmare IMO.

my budget is probably about 2 to 3 g's for both front and rear speakers and an amp i have an alpine cda9815 hu. i listen to alot of different types of music from punk to techno. no im not necessarily limited to the factory location but i dont want to hack up my car either. i plan on getting a sub in the future but not at the moment...

Kali77
05-07-2005, 01:19 PM
my budget is probably about 2 to 3 g's for both front and rear speakers and an amp i have an alpine cda9815 hu. i listen to alot of different types of music from punk to techno. no im not necessarily limited to the factory location but i dont want to hack up my car either. i plan on getting a sub in the future but not at the moment...

With that kind of money you can get an entire system. For your vehicle I would suggest no rearfill. Just put that money towards a really nice set of comps and a nice amp. That will leave you money for install etc..

Kali

Kali77
05-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Also for comps I would suggest some Dynaudio comps, boston z6's, or some nice rainbows. Ran off a Zapco or Arc amp.

Kali

skierxx5556
05-07-2005, 01:30 PM
With that kind of money you can get an entire system. For your vehicle I would suggest no rearfill. Just put that money towards a really nice set of comps and a nice amp. That will leave you money for install etc..

Kali

why would i not want to get rear speakers? wont my factory speakers distort when i crank it i dont want any distortion!!!

Kali77
05-07-2005, 01:34 PM
why would i not want to get rear speakers? wont my factory speakers distort when i crank it i dont want any distortion!!!

You will take out the rear stock speakers. With a good set of Components up front you will not need rearfill. Rearfill can cause cancellation issues and make it quite difficult to get the right imaging up front. Do a search on here and you should be able to get more info than you need to answer most of your questions ;)

Kali

skierxx5556
05-09-2005, 11:41 PM
alright so i did a little reasearch on rear fill and i still dont believe that you can just run the front speakers with out somthing in the back... to that sounds like it would sound like garbage especially in a sedan i could see if i had a little coupe but not my car what do you guys think?

Decipha
05-09-2005, 11:55 PM
i like rear fill since i have alot of passengers and i want them to enjoy the music too but some people on here don't recommend it but i just so happen to like my rear speakers and so do my passengers

cdj
05-09-2005, 11:56 PM
People have strong opinions about rear-fill, but it really comes down to what you like not what they think. You simply attentuate (play at lower volume) the rear-fills so they don't compete with your front speakers, just "fill-in".

I find it interesting that Kali77 is advising so strongly against rear-fill when in his sig he plans on using Aura speakers as rear-fill in his upcoming install.

Trancer
05-10-2005, 12:13 AM
I personaly think rear fill is fine, but should attenuated properly so the front passengers only hear the fronts and the rear passengers hear both, mainly the rear because come on, what are the rear passengers going to hear? Probably only bass in the trunk right behind them.

Exaran
05-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Its not that great for back seat passengers, but after you get used to it, just running fronts rules. The clarity is soo much better.

You do actually still feel enveloped in the sound too... some of it will reflect off the roof and rear glass and give you that surrounded feel

I actually like it best with my sub, my rears seemed to fight with the subs, and would make the bass a lot crappier all around. I can crank the sub sooo much higher with no rear fill, and it stays purer the whole time

Trancer
05-10-2005, 12:43 AM
Thats why I run my 120hz+ on my rears. No need for that much midbass on my rears when the subwoofer pressure is going to be pushing the rear speaker cones up and down.

skierxx5556
05-10-2005, 01:03 AM
I personaly think rear fill is fine, but should attenuated properly so the front passengers only hear the fronts and the rear passengers hear both, mainly the rear because come on, what are the rear passengers going to hear? Probably only bass in the trunk right behind them.

well im not going to be running a sub at least not right away i cant really afford one so do you think i should get some rear speakers to make up for that or just wait and save for a sub and do both front a sub at the same time?

stangme01
05-10-2005, 02:10 AM
I heard the bose system in a 2005 Maxima the other day sounded pretty **** good for stock.

skierxx5556
05-10-2005, 02:16 AM
I heard the bose system in a 2005 Maxima the other day sounded pretty **** good for stock.

i dont have the bose or a 2005 and mine doesnt sound that great...

95RAM
05-10-2005, 02:47 AM
You have 3000 dollars to spend but cannot afford a sub. Isnt that contradicting yourself

stangme01
05-10-2005, 03:00 AM
I personally prefer rear fill. Especially in a sedan, i have a 2002 altima which is almost exactly the same interior size as yours. I tried only fronts but its just too much cabin to fill for just fronts.

What i do is run EXACTLY the same speakers i run up front in the back too, that way rear fill doesn't mess with my SQ. Also i power my fronts with about 3-4 times the power as the rear.
If you have time alignment rears aren't so bad. They sure help you get loud though and help relieve some stress off the fronts.

skierxx5556
05-10-2005, 03:10 AM
You have 3000 dollars to spend but cannot afford a sub. Isnt that contradicting yourself

well the speakers that i am looking at are about 1000 a pair plus the cost of an amp puts me in about the 3000 dollar range so i guess that i cant afford a sub... i do have other things that i want to do to my car... im not the kind of person that likes SPL im much more interested in SQ.

stangme01
05-10-2005, 03:17 AM
well the speakers that i am looking at are about 1000 a pair plus the cost of an amp puts me in about the 3000 dollar range so i guess that i cant afford a sub... i do have other things that i want to do to my car... im not the kind of person that likes SPL im much more interested in SQ.

Dude what? You are going to waste $2000 on an amp for your components? oooooooookay :wow:

skierxx5556
05-10-2005, 03:27 AM
Dude what? You are going to waste $2000 on an amp for your components? oooooooookay :wow:

how do you figure that the amp is going to cost 2g's when i said that the speakers are about 1000 a pair which equals 2000 plus the cost of an amp which im guessing is going to be roughly 1000 now that puts me at about 3000 i mean correct me if im wrong... if you guys know where i can find a better deal then by all means tell me...

stangme01
05-10-2005, 03:40 AM
how do you figure that the amp is going to cost 2g's when i said that the speakers are about 1000 a pair which equals 2000 plus the cost of an amp which im guessing is going to be roughly 1000 now that puts me at about 3000 i mean correct me if im wrong... if you guys know where i can find a better deal then by all means tell me...

For one why are you buying 2 pairs of $1000 speakers when you cannot even afford a sub.

YOu can also spend all the money you like on equipment but install is more important when it comes to SQ.

Look at my sig, that whole system costs $3G and it sounds incredible. That includes TONS of deadening, tons of soundproofing and panel treatment, open cell foams, custom speaker installs and everything.

skierxx5556
05-10-2005, 04:03 AM
a few posts above this you told me that i should get the same speakers for the rear which i where i got the 2g's for speakers... the 3g's included install... but the point of this thread was not to argue with you about how much i plan on spending on my stereo but to find out more info on a brand of speakers that i have never heard before and so far no one has really been very helpful with finding information...

stangme01
05-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Well because it really doesn't make sense to buy $1000 sets of speakers and a $1000 amp if you are not totally loaded. Buy 2 pairs of $500 speakers like the new 2005 Boston Pros or something. Then buy 2 $500 amps, buy a $500 sub/subs, and a $500 head unit and you have a whole system.

skierxx5556
05-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Well because it really doesn't make sense to buy $1000 sets of speakers and a $1000 amp if you are not totally loaded. Buy 2 pairs of $500 speakers like the new 2005 Boston Pros or something. Then buy 2 $500 amps, buy a $500 sub/subs, and a $500 head unit and you have a whole system.

alright heres the system that i am looking at and you can give me your opinion on it... i already have an alpine cda-9815 im looking at the Rainbow Profi Vanadium line 2 way components for the front and rear powered by a arc amp (not to sure on the which amp yet b/c im still doing research on this whole system) and for a sub eventually im going to get a JL 10w6v2 most likely powered by a JL amp... now you tell me what you think about this set up...

stangme01
05-10-2005, 12:39 PM
vanadiums are great speakers, have you looked at the DLS Iridium 6.2 sets yet? Those are supposed to be awesome. Personally i like the new bostom pros (not the old bright sounding ones made pre 2005) better than anything i've heard from Rainbow (never heard the platinums or reference). Sub sounds good though.

skierxx5556
05-10-2005, 12:48 PM
i am def going to look into the Bostons and the DLS... i have never heard of any of these brands (except Boston)... is there anyway that i can look up a dealer of Rainbow or DLS in my area i really want to hear what these sound like before i drop this kind of money on them... most of the places that i have gone to and asked about these brands have no clue what i am talking about so...

stangme01
05-10-2005, 06:32 PM
DLS is not nearly as common in shops as Boston, Yeah both DLS and Boston have websites so and should have dealer locators.

edit:

http://searcht.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=Boston+acoustics&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D2 e3987736e649161%26clickedItemRank%3D1%26userQuery% 3DBoston%2Bacoustics%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A% 252F%252Fwww.bostonacoustics.com%252F%26invocation Type%3D-%26fromPage%3DnsBrowserRoll%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bostonacoustics.com%2F

http://www.dls-america.com/Dealers.htm

wow
05-10-2005, 09:22 PM
regarding to rear fill or not to rear fill the best thing you can do is just read everything written in these forums then find an audiophile who knows what hes doing and is running only front speakers and sit and listen to his system-----then you need to tell him you need to borrow his car for a week or two and just drive and listen.. drive fast drive slow drive while smokin crack whatever you normally do when driving do it and listen. then tell him your gonna alter his finely tuned $10,000.00 system slightly and throw some 6 X 9s in the stock back location and do the driving and listening all over again. if he hasnt beat your azz by now you should have a pretty good idea whether you want rear fill or not. personally i had a freind set up my car with what he considered to be of almost optimum sq audio in my situation (meaning my car and finances --drug habit etc). in conclusion and i tried to tell myself i was now an audiophile and that listening to only front speakers is what all us true audiophiles do-------when i got real ---to me it ****** as compared to when i threw my 6 x 9s back in and cranked it up and realized ---im no audiophile --im a 42 year old guy playin the hell out some trickdaddy thinkin im cool and in my lil car audio worrld ---i think its cool and thats all that matters. yeah my freind came back at me with all the hypothesis and algorithms or whatever the hell he said ---attenuation --cancellation---whatever---all i know is dammit when i crank dat new fat joe joint i have a smile on my face and **** cancellation--go ahead and cancellate i dont care. with the amount of money your spending you should no doubt have a great system. just figure out what you want out your system --read as much as you can---preferrably listen to other systems then go for it and hope its what you like. chances are it wont be and youll spend another 2 - 3 grand trying to get what you want. but hey thats the joy of car audio its what us guys do---we spend insane amounts of money changing systems that most people thought were the bomb--but thats life. gurls buy fifty pair of red shoes and will almost die telling you the importance of having all 50 and that life isnt worth living without them---just like we tell them -honey i wont be happy unless i get this eclipse amp and straighten out my system as they go in the closet and pull out 8 other amps and we have a valid reason for every one of them being wack and **** she trippin. but my main moral ----yeah i guess i coulda just said this in sentence two and been done with it but oh well----dont let anyone tell you what you think sounds good. oh they will try but in the end its your cash and its your happiness. id rather have my **** sound good to me and have my buddies all hate it then have my buddies tellin everyone my system is bomb and i think it sounds like garth brooks (pick a song any song they all **** to me) (thats right for all you mentally challenged that was a country music diss). well have fun and i know ive been of no help whatsoever and i apologize for that ---why dont you give me the 2 -3 grand and ill upgrade my chit and you can listen to it when i drive by your house with the windows down. take care and good luck

the_noob
05-10-2005, 09:26 PM
regarding to rear fill or not to rear fill the best thing you can do is just read everything written in these forums then find an audiophile who knows what hes doing and is running only front speakers and sit and listen to his system-----then you need to tell him you need to borrow his car for a week or two and just drive and listen.. drive fast drive slow drive while smokin crack whatever you normally do when driving do it and listen. then tell him your gonna alter his finely tuned $10,000.00 system slightly and throw some 6 X 9s in the stock back location and do the driving and listening all over again. if he hasnt beat your azz by now you should have a pretty good idea whether you want rear fill or not. personally i had a freind set up my car with what he considered to be of almost optimum sq audio in my situation (meaning my car and finances --drug habit etc). in conclusion and i tried to tell myself i was now an audiophile and that listening to only front speakers is what all us true audiophiles do-------when i got real ---to me it ****** as compared to when i threw my 6 x 9s back in and cranked it up and realized ---im no audiophile --im a 42 year old guy playin the hell out some trickdaddy thinkin im cool and in my lil car audio worrld ---i think its cool and thats all that matters. yeah my freind came back at me with all the hypothesis and algorithms or whatever the hell he said ---attenuation --cancellation---whatever---all i know is dammit when i crank dat new fat joe joint i have a smile on my face and **** cancellation--go ahead and cancellate i dont care. with the amount of money your spending you should no doubt have a great system. just figure out what you want out your system --read as much as you can---preferrably listen to other systems then go for it and hope its what you like. chances are it wont be and youll spend another 2 - 3 grand trying to get what you want. but hey thats the joy of car audio its what us guys do---we spend insane amounts of money changing systems that most people thought were the bomb--but thats life. gurls buy fifty pair of red shoes and will almost die telling you the importance of having all 50 and that life isnt worth living without them---just like we tell them -honey i wont be happy unless i get this eclipse amp and straighten out my system as they go in the closet and pull out 8 other amps and we have a valid reason for every one of them being wack and **** she trippin. but my main moral ----yeah i guess i coulda just said this in sentence two and been done with it but oh well----dont let anyone tell you what you think sounds good. oh they will try but in the end its your cash and its your happiness. id rather have my **** sound good to me and have my buddies all hate it then have my buddies tellin everyone my system is bomb and i think it sounds like garth brooks (pick a song any song they all **** to me) (thats right for all you mentally challenged that was a country music diss). well have fun and i know ive been of no help whatsoever and i apologize for that ---why dont you give me the 2 -3 grand and ill upgrade my chit and you can listen to it when i drive by your house with the windows down. take care and good luck

Don't do drugs, people.

wow
05-10-2005, 10:06 PM
amen noob--say no to drugs.

stangme01
05-10-2005, 11:54 PM
"Don't do drugs"
-eminem

:iagree:

Trancer
05-11-2005, 12:28 AM
Wow, I have been complemplating on reading that mess, but finally I did and it was

Interesting.

iLL-Faded
05-11-2005, 12:40 AM
2 Rockford Fosgate T1462C (4"x6" 2-way Speakers) = $55
Power Handling (RMS) - 40 watts

Power Handling (Peak) - 80 watts

Frequency Response - 80-22k hz

pics coming soon

2 Rockford Fosgate T152C (5-1/4" 2-way Speakers) = $65
Power Handling (RMS) - 60 watts

Power Handling (Peak) - 120 watts

Frequency Response - 70-22k hz

stangme01
05-11-2005, 02:13 AM
2 Rockford Fosgate T1462C (4"x6" 2-way Speakers) = $55
Power Handling (RMS) - 40 watts

Power Handling (Peak) - 80 watts

Frequency Response - 80-22k hz

pics coming soon

2 Rockford Fosgate T152C (5-1/4" 2-way Speakers) = $65
Power Handling (RMS) - 60 watts

Power Handling (Peak) - 120 watts

Frequency Response - 70-22k hz

Wrong thread maybe? :crazy:

squeak9798
05-11-2005, 02:20 AM
"Don't do drugs"
-eminem

:iagree:

For the first time in possibly months, I am going to have to agree with you here :veryhapp: :D That was one big clusterfuck

skierxx5556
05-11-2005, 05:34 PM
anyone know any Rainbow dealers in the New England area? i really want to see how these speakers sound!!

joeboxer5876
05-11-2005, 06:06 PM
i used to do drugs and i kind of liked it. then i bought my first subs... vega heds. i liked them for about a month or two and then i realized they ******. so i had to buy a new amp and subs and eventually i didnt have any more money for drugs. i still dont like my system so i am saving every last dime so i can get a better one.

well the point of this is, unless your loaded, it is hard to do drugs and spend a fortune on a system. i dont hate people who do drugs, i hate when people waste money on drugs instead of there system.