PDA

View Full Version : Sub underneath plexiglass

gr3nade
05-03-2005, 10:51 PM
I am fiberglassing a center console and I want to have a single 10 in a sealed box under a plexiglass window. The question is, is how would I go about having the area between the sub and window set up? If it is sealed off, that wouldn't seem right. But if it's open on one end, wouldn't that make it a kind of bandpass box?
Here's some pics of what I'm talking about:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/gr3nade/console1.gif

Thanks for any help

Decipha
05-03-2005, 10:53 PM
if its a sealed box your going to have to have the side open that makes it a 4th order bandpass, if you seal the top your not going to hear much from the sub

gr3nade
05-03-2005, 10:56 PM
How much will that change the sound? The box will be probably about 1 ft^3 and the opening would be around 4 x 12 inches by about 48 long. is there any other way to set it up with a window without messing with the sound?

bcarpenterfhl
05-03-2005, 10:59 PM
use a the plexi as a baffle (front piece of the enclosure), and mount the sub onto the plexi.

gr3nade
05-03-2005, 11:02 PM
The point of the plexiglass is to protect the sub cause it's gonna be in the console, I don't really want it out in the open to get messed up.

hoss
05-03-2005, 11:08 PM
then invert it...

the first drawing is a dual acoustic suspension bandpass... two sealed boxes, you will get VERY VERY little output, if any... the second as was told to you already is 4th order BP. tuning that correctly will be quite difficult...

bcarpenterfhl
05-03-2005, 11:13 PM
yea invert the sub, or what i think would look coolest is poiniting the sub towards the floor, and putting plexi on top of the box so you see inside the box. you could paint the inside of the box and throw some LEDs in or something.

gr3nade
05-03-2005, 11:22 PM
hmmm... Yeah, I like the idea of the sub pointing towards the floor w/ the plexi top. Now I just need to decide which sub to go with. What subs would be good for a smaller sealed box? I have a XXX ported in my daily driver now, but when I put that in a sealed box, I was not too stoked with the output. Any suggestions?

Thanks again

bcarpenterfhl
05-03-2005, 11:35 PM
JL 12W6v2 sounds amazing in a sealed box.