PDA

View Full Version : Is it too much to ask for? (ipod related)

THX
05-03-2005, 08:19 PM
I'm sick of dealing with CD's, burning CD-R's, and scratches. I picked up the alpine adapter for the ipod but:

1) the ipod is most likely spitting out an analog signal that is DAC'ed within the ipod (bleh!)

2) Even if the ipod output a digital stream, Alpine uses a 1-bit DAC

3) interface is slow and clunky

Why can't Eclipse make an all-digital adapter? :(

One thing I can say about Alpine's setup is that CDs seem like ancient technology now. Anyone else annoyed at all the lack of quality choices out there? Maybe the tech is just too new.

Slaugh
05-03-2005, 08:21 PM
your question is why can't Ecliipse make an ipod adapter?

i dont know how one here could answer this to you....

btw, are you enjoying your acquisition?

THX
05-03-2005, 08:27 PM
To be honest I love the concept. It's great how I can select random from a collection of thousands of songs and get "surprised" by a song I like that I normally wouldn't hear. If I'm not in the mood for it I just hit next for another random song.

Sad thing is ALL I listen to is my ipod now and I ask myself what was the purpose of building up my car system with nice components if the DAC is in a tiny *** ipod that's meant for headphones? hehe you can imagine my frustration...

johnecon2001
05-03-2005, 09:55 PM
There have been rumors that Eclipse is working on an interface for the iPod. No word yet if this is true and if it will be compatible with all of there decks or just the new ones.

Slaugh
05-03-2005, 10:03 PM
hmm i dont know what would be 40gigs against 4.7gigs, but if you dont really need all this much of mp3s you could buy a DVD head unit that reads MP3s...

i dont know thats just a thought... at least you will keep the original audio quality of the head unit.... too bad you would still be swapping discs all the time...

kenstewart
05-03-2005, 10:26 PM
LOL :laugh: Love your sig Slaugh.

Joe Sixpack
05-04-2005, 06:22 AM
Integrated adapters (like the one from Alpine) are based on technology that originally was designed for CD changers. Needless to say, the CD changer interface isn't up to the task. It was never meant to handle thousands of songs and artists.

The first manufacturer to realize that CD changers are ancient history, and that a new interface is needed to fully take advantage of portable hard drive players like the iPod, will make vast amounts of money.

The Alpine solution would have been perfect, if they had ditched the CD changer interface and implemented a new, better suited interface. 255 songs / disc is enough for a CD changer, but for 20GB of music? Come on! Same goes for the search scroll speed, it needs to be faster to cope with the severely increased amount of artists, songs etc. found on hard drive players. A digital-to-digital transfer of the songs to the HU is essential.

Slaugh
05-04-2005, 08:46 AM
basicly what you sayign is that if i have more than 255 songs on my Ipod then Alpine won't recognize them???

if so, what's the point on doing that then?

Joe Sixpack
05-05-2005, 06:48 AM
AFAIK it will recognize them, but you if you search for songs in a playlist or by artist, it will only show the first 255 entries. I guess this isn't a problem for some, but with the huge storage space available it is quite possible to reach the limit...

3.5Max6spd
05-05-2005, 08:38 AM
Eclipse has always been slow with delivering certain things.... (mp3/SAT radio for example)
These are not things that go hand in hand with superior SQ performance, so I take its not a priority. But with the demand is there and the popularity of the Ipod is insane- I'm sure a plug and play has to be in the works. In the meantime perhaps the AUX/digital inputs in some of their models can be used.

TrlcKed_OuT
05-05-2005, 09:36 AM
why not try a hu with those sds card readers in them....i have one and they work wonders!!! can get a 1/2 gig card and ur set for weeks...if u can honestly listen to more than that in a couple days nothing will satisfy you...

bean
05-05-2005, 09:56 AM
I understand your concern of the DAC's, but you're talking about compressed audio anyway. Made for head phones or a line output ,you're not getting the greatest SQ anyway. IMO

THX
05-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the reponses all. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one who's desperate for a nice solution. ;)

I understand your concern of the DAC's, but you're talking about compressed audio anyway. Made for head phones or a line output ,you're not getting the greatest SQ anyway. IMO
I know what you're saying but I encode my favorite artists @ 320kbps aac and there's even a setting for Apple lossless which I contemplated using. Fact of the matter is I did blind tests between WAV vs 320kbps AAC (both formats on the ipod) and couldn't hear the difference. Maybe I could if it was a quality DAC.

cappy72
05-05-2005, 06:24 PM
hmmm... I am reading this now and I am a little confused as to what is going on...

I have been thinking about getting an IPOD and putting all of my CD's into it... using the alpine ipod adapter wire like you are talking about...

so what seems to be the problem with the setup???

g30ffr3y
05-05-2005, 07:10 PM
has anyone used the pioneer ipod adapter... is it better than the alpine?

i resist buying it considering the alpine version = teh suxor!

THX
05-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Pioneer's is actually worse. Head on over to ipodlounge.com for user reviews

navinadv
12-09-2005, 04:00 AM
I got my whole CD collection on my ipod. The alpine's interface is kinda slow but with some tweaking one can make it work.

I use a 9833 with a ipod 60GB (54.6 GB of MP3 - ABR about 220-240k).

Since I like to listen to entire albums the music is organised /Artist/Album/Song.mp3

To make search faster I listen the Artists into 26 "playlists" A-Z. so instead of spinning the ipod throught 255+ artsit one has 26 lists of about 8-15 artists each. the rest (Album/song) is easy.

Choose A for Aerosmith, B for Beatles....Z for Zappa. then scroll only in the A's till you find Aerosmith.

Blazin Civic
12-15-2005, 02:11 AM
No one mentionec clarion? The new high end VRX has the BEST ipod intergration into a car period. I have it in my car and it is just amazing. Like having a large ipod at your finger tips. Only problem I have with it is that if you don't have an album title on the ID3 tag it wont display the song.

Ayrton
12-15-2005, 02:43 AM
I passed on the slow, cumbersome KCA and went with the Alpine MP3 changer. Not a perfect solution, but better than the KCA.

danteBirosel
12-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Eclipse do have an ipod adapter for the aftermarket HU of an Eclipse. I just picked up the latest car audio and electronics magazine and there was an ad for an ipod2cargen2 adapter. It was only for alpine, sony, pioneer, etc.. but now there is one for eclipse compatible.

Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PXDP-iPod2Car-iPod-Car-Adapter-for-Eclipse-Head-Unit_W0QQitemZ5840454887QQcategoryZ58350QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

danteBirosel
12-15-2005, 11:01 AM
also, here:

http://peripheralelectronics.com/ for more information

danteBirosel
12-15-2005, 11:04 AM
what do u guys tihnk about it? because after christmas i really plan on buying myself an ipod. and would love this add-on for my eclipse headunit.