PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Premier P770 or P8 - Please help a noob

bivsubscribe
05-03-2005, 03:29 AM
Here's my situation:

I have around $350 or so to spend on a quality HU. My goal is just really clear, awesome sounding music. I'm mostly into rock/progressive with my Outkast ATLiens album thrown in every once in a while. I'm NOT looking to have the loudest/biggest bumping system on the block --- just one that sounds GREAT (deep/rich/full sound).

My thought is this:
- I can avoid buying an amp if I have quality speakers and a high quality HU that can push enough RMS to the speakers. That said, I'm not opposed to adding an amp later (or now if it's absolutely necessary).

I purchased these speakers for my Nissan Frontier truck:
Front: Infinity Kappa 50.5CS (5.25") component
Rear: Infinity Kappa 42.5i (4") 2way

I'm now trying to figure out which HU to get:

I know a guy at a local shop here in LA and he's offered to hook me up with the Premier P8 for $320. I like the looks and have read several very positive reviews. Though, I am a bit weary about the giant knob in the middle and its ability to effectively navigate everything.

I also like the looks of the P770. I realize it's a step down, but it plays AAC (the format of several of my digital files). It also has more "regular buttons" including the radio presets, which seem easier to work with.

I looked at all of the '05 Alpines and have concluded that I don't like them as much. That said, what do I know -- if they are head and shoulders better sound than maybe I should reconsider.

My questions are:
- Is there a significant difference in sound quality between the P770 and P8?
- How much manual "tweaking" will be necessary to get really great sound with these decks?
- Am I crazy to think I don't need an amp? Is the 27 or 22 RMS from the HU enough to power my Kappa speakers?
- Should I just find a way to get the P860 (or the Pioneer 8600)? It gets great reviews here, but is it really necessary for my needs?

What's the best value for a guy like me?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

BOOKER
05-03-2005, 09:32 AM
You got two really good choices there, I'll choose the 770 the other one is a 'lil too flashy for me, but I've heard both and they sound great. I don't seem to find any significant sound difference as you said, they are about the same, with different displays. ;)

I think I'll be getting the 770 in the next month or two. :yumyum:

I will recommend to add an amplifier since you got some real nice comps and coaxials, an external amp will make them shine since kappas like power, and they won't be drown by the sound of the subwoofer/s which I know you'll be adding in the near future. :up2somet:

:thumbsup:

andy1234
05-03-2005, 10:01 AM
premeir 860 fits your bill 350 shipped off ikesounds.com

Alpine2005
05-03-2005, 05:23 PM
i have installed both the p770mp and the p80mp. both decks have great sound.

i don't really like the p770mp because it doesn't have any cool 3D graphics. the p80mp has better looking ones and you can also download or make your own. i also don't like the detachable, fold-down face. every time i tryed to take it off, i almost droped it.

you don't realy need to "tweak" that mush. you only need to adjust the 3 band eq and the bass and treble to get really great sound.

the p860mp doesn't sound that great. i have it. i had to tweak around with it for about 45mins to make it sound ok.

i would get the p8mp and a amp with 55rms x 4@4ohms.

bivsubscribe
05-04-2005, 03:33 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the response.

I've gone to a local store on back-to-back nights and played with both the p770 and p8 (actually, I played with the pioneer versions, not the premiers, but same difference). I don't know if it's the motorized flip down or the just the overall unit's design, but the p8 just "feels" like a better quality HU. It also seemed to have a fuller sound, but my little science experiment could have easily been tainted (though I tried to set them both to the exact same settings).

I do wish the p8 could play AAC files -- I don't understand why Pioneer integrated the technology into only the 770. That makes no sense. I'm also concerned that quickly changing between radio presets will be a bit tougher on the single knob p8. I actually like the preset buttons along the bottom. That said, if the p8 does in fact sound better, it's the choice for me.

One question: if I do get an amp, would I be able to just "turn off" the internal amp? I know you can do it with the high end alpine units (9851, 53, etc).

adam71
05-04-2005, 04:44 AM
Nope, for some reason Pioneer has yet to incorporate that feature in their decks. I know Clarion does it.

B@SSAN8OR
05-04-2005, 06:31 PM
i have the p80 deck and i love it. it was weird getting used to the big knob but i have no problems now. really easy to use, and editing the sound is really easy.

my EQ is low -6 mid +1 high +3
then i changed the curve of the eg so that on the low it is at 160hz and set to 2 narrow. mid is set to 500 hz and at 2 wide. then high is set to 8khz and set to 2 high.

then my sub out is set to 80hz lpf and about +2. my hpf is set to 125hz.

dont ever use loudnes or the EQ-EX.

the 770 or whatever for the regualr pioneer models has ai think a 2.2 volt preout were as the 80 has a 4 volt. which you can totally hear the differnece.

one thing i really like about the 770 is that it has a voltage display on it. so i think that is really cool.

but other wise the 80 with have better looking screen and it is motorized and it has some better features.

def go with the premier models though. with most of the premeir models they dont have that problem with the rca outputs were they go bad.

Moe Lester
05-04-2005, 06:37 PM
the 770 has 4v preouts, front, rear, and sub.

I just got mine and so far, I like it quite a bit :) I was able to pick it up for $199 brand new at a local shop.

Since youve got components, I would definately go with an amplifier.

Alpine2005
05-04-2005, 07:19 PM
I do wish the p8 could play AAC files -- I don't understand why Pioneer integrated the technology into only the 770. That makes no sense.

The pioneer premeir p8mp came out last year. but this year they receviered the pioneer p80mp. so the reason is they're last years technology.

I'm also concerned that quickly changing between radio presets will be a bit tougher on the single knob p8. I actually like the preset buttons along the bottom.

You can preset the stations with the remote control and change the presets stations. it's a 10 buttom remote control. you can preset 18 stations for FM and 6 for AM

if I do get an amp, would I be able to just "turn off" the internal amp? I know you can do it with the high end alpine units (9851, 53, etc).

no, you won't be able to just "turn off" the internal amp. i would just add a pair or 2 of low wattage tweeters or speakers.

geezy21unc
07-02-2005, 01:45 PM
dude this headunit is sick i have some tweetes hooked up to it , and man heads turn all the time cuz i have it EQ'd down to a science. its all about EQ'ing , sensitivity on speakers and brand equipement , and install. the P80mp is SICK. personally i think it blows alot of aloine out the H20. not all tho, alpine has my props.

IRACEMYCOPCAR
07-02-2005, 04:38 PM
well i have installed 860's,p8's and 770's.

i dont like the 860's because i see a lot come back with problems(noise,face stuck)

p8 is ok but to me the big knob in the middle is ugly (looks like a bmw i-drive reject), its also a carryover from '04 as stated above.

the 770 seems to be a good unit for the money, however it hasnt been out long so i dont know how well they hold up yet, and yes the built in voltage gauge is AWESOME this feature should have been in head units years ago. i also like the fact its sirius AND xm compatible.

BTW: i work at a premier authorized dealer and they have the same RCA problems as non premier decks. i cant tell you how many 860's ive replaced/sent back to pioneer.

If you are looking for good sound get rid of the infinitys and get some good components on a clean amp.

HeatSeeker
07-03-2005, 10:45 AM
So, can the voltage guage tell when the preouts are clipping?

IRACEMYCOPCAR
07-03-2005, 11:15 AM
no but it will tell you the car voltage so if you are running subs you can make sure it doesnt drop too low and burn up your amp(s)

HeatSeeker
07-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Ohh ok for some reson I thought you meant the preout voltage. My bad.

zachzchw
07-03-2005, 12:38 PM
def go with the premier models though. with most of the premeir models they dont have that problem with the rca outputs were they go bad.

What? Most of the trouble with the preouts comes from the Premier models....

ruckus
07-03-2005, 01:09 PM
I went with the P770MP instead of the P80 just because the P80 looked like *** to me. I like my P770MP no complaints but yeah like said above no flashy screensavers or anything. but definelty a solid unit.

ruckus
07-03-2005, 01:12 PM
the 770 or whatever for the regualr pioneer models has ai think a 2.2 volt preout were as the 80 has a 4 volt. which you can totally hear the differnece.

one thing i really like about the 770 is that it has a voltage display on it. so i think that is really cool.

wrong 4v out on the 770 thats why I bought it cause Im running all comps

where the **** is the voltage display? I havent seen it yet on mine.