PDA

View Full Version : Sony xlpod hu

Alpine2005
05-02-2005, 06:17 PM
my friend is thinking of geting a Sony CDX-M7815X hu for his car. he likes the design and blue lighting.

he was also thinking of geting a pioneer deh-p860mp because it almost has the same design as the sony. but he doesn't want to copy me.

does the sony deck sound pretty good?

Echo42987
05-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Uh comparing to the Pioneer...don't let him stitch out just because you'll have the same thing. That Pioneer is a lot better and has more features.

bonesninja
05-02-2005, 06:20 PM
they are ok--i wouldn't buy one for my car but all in all they're ok for beginner set-ups

BOOKER
05-02-2005, 06:58 PM
I'll choose the Pioneer, but Sony's are good too besides what everybody in here says that they are crap and all.

BTW what's wrong with your friend :slap: he is not copying anything unless he just wanna be different.

:thumbsup:

SSS 18734
05-02-2005, 07:00 PM
your friend should be slapped for even thinking about the Sony against the Pioneer :)

Alpine2005
05-02-2005, 09:37 PM
my bro has a older model sony xlpod and it doesn't sound that bad.

what if my friend replaces all speakers and gets same good as ones. would this improve the SQ if he gets the sony?

97montez34
05-02-2005, 11:48 PM
i had the sony cdx-m630 for over 2 years... they only complaint i had about it was it skipped alot over bumps... other then that i loved it until it was stolen. great first HU, but i like my alpine alot better

SSS 18734
05-02-2005, 11:58 PM
my bro has a older model sony xlpod and it doesn't sound that bad.

what if my friend replaces all speakers and gets same good as ones. would this improve the SQ if he gets the sony?

yeah, but I would still go with the Pioneer 100% hands down. If he doesnt want to copy you, let him look into Alpine's head units. I wouldn't skimp on the Head Unit, its one of the most important parts of a system.

JimJ
05-03-2005, 12:11 AM
My roommate has an Xplod...I'm not impressed.

SKyleS
05-03-2005, 01:01 AM
My friend has an explod syste, all I have to say is "LOL" about his system. Best part is, he thinks his is good, and he thinks he cold "own" me in a DB drag. (He hasn't heard my system yet).

fatryan
05-03-2005, 01:07 AM
sony ***** in every aspect of car audio

BOOKER
05-03-2005, 10:44 AM
sony ***** in every aspect of car audio

:slap: Sony is not that bad.

SKyleS
05-03-2005, 10:55 AM
:slap: Sony is not that bad.

No Sony is that bad... they should stick to TV's. :p:

seth350
05-03-2005, 01:08 PM
I own a Sony CDX-7705X h/u and I have had no problems what so ever with it. Sound quality is great and lots of nice features.

zane
05-03-2005, 01:17 PM
No Sony is that bad... they should stick to TV's. :p:

No, Sony Head Units are completely awesome.

I've got 3 Sony HU's , all functioning flawlessly since day 1. The newest is nearly 3 years old (CDX-M630), the next just slightly older (C-90), and the oldest still running strong after 8 years. (EXCD-21).

Never had any issues with about the 40 or so Sony HU's I've installed over the past few years either. Everyone is still happy with their Sony's as well.

It's ok though. The bandwagon blindly dismisses Sony as junk simply because of one reported bad experience from a person who likely has as much knowledge in car audio as this board does in Nuclear Fusion as a whole.

Whats worse, is that the same story gets repeated over and over by those who have little to no direct experience over an extended amount of time with Sony Head Units.

req
05-03-2005, 01:24 PM
my friend had a sony headunit in his mitsu eclipse. it looked like garbage. then the faceplate broke. and it skipped like hell all the time.

sorry zane, from personal expierence, i hate sony car audio. (he used to drive me to work and we worked together for a year or so) so its not like i saw it once eaither.

i hated that thing. it also made these gay beeps when he pressed a button. :rolleyes:

Slody4Futbol
05-03-2005, 01:34 PM
you can turn the gay beeps off... there's 2 things i dont' like about the sony head units... one is the beeps... which you can turn off... and the way the volume works... if you own one u know what i'm talking about when you turn it down or up real quickly... but as far as features... i'd go with anything above a 7710 or higher... 7 band eq... 4 volt front, rear & sub preouts... aux-input ... xm ready.. sub control... high pass and low pass filters... full motion display... mp3...

SKyleS
05-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Did I say the HU's anywhere? Did I specify? No. Sonys amps, more the speakers. and the subs are some of the worst out there IMO... I'm not saying this because of a "bandwagon" im saying this because thier subs and speakers are super craptacular.

Echo42987
05-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Yeah Sony's don't **** at all...I had the CDX-M800 model when I first stepped into car audio. I loved the blueness of it all and how it folded down. But that was to only impress the people who nothing about car audio. They had great SQ and I enjoyed it much more. But I would say let him get the Pioneer or if ya want to do wonders try and get your hand on a Alpine CDA-9835

fatryan
05-03-2005, 06:20 PM
No, Sony Head Units are completely awesome.

I've got 3 Sony HU's , all functioning flawlessly since day 1. The newest is nearly 3 years old (CDX-M630), the next just slightly older (C-90), and the oldest still running strong after 8 years. (EXCD-21).

Never had any issues with about the 40 or so Sony HU's I've installed over the past few years either. Everyone is still happy with their Sony's as well.

It's ok though. The bandwagon blindly dismisses Sony as junk simply because of one reported bad experience from a person who likely has as much knowledge in car audio as this board does in Nuclear Fusion as a whole.

Whats worse, is that the same story gets repeated over and over by those who have little to no direct experience over an extended amount of time with Sony Head Units.
no, sony really is junk. theyre not reliable, have horrible options, and sound like crap.

zane
05-03-2005, 07:36 PM
no, sony really is junk. theyre not reliable, have horrible options, and sound like crap.

Lemming.

Prove it.

zane
05-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Did I say the HU's anywhere? Did I specify? No. Sonys amps, more the speakers. and the subs are some of the worst out there IMO... I'm not saying this because of a "bandwagon" im saying this because thier subs and speakers are super craptacular.

You are the one who generalized. Now you wine about being called on it?

:rolleyes:

fatryan
05-03-2005, 08:38 PM
Lemming.

Prove it.
well ive proved it to myself. the only way for you to believe it is to see for yourself. ive had experience with sony HUs, subs, amps, and speakers. and i can say they ALL **** bad. have you even used sony car audio products before? do you even know what sounds good, what features are good, etc? cause i do, and sony is grade a BS.

zane
05-03-2005, 09:15 PM
well ive proved it to myself. the only way for you to believe it is to see for yourself.

I have. Thus my previous statements should you care to read.

ive had experience with sony HUs, subs, amps, and speakers. and i can say they ALL **** bad.

Funny. You've had bad luck with their entire line? Sounds more like user error.

In EVERY manufacturer's product line, be it JL Audio or Pyle, there are good and bad products. Seldom ever is the entire line ultimately bad.

I've used Sony for the past 10 years in my own cars, and in customer cars. Never had any issues with my Sony Installations.

have you even used sony car audio products before?
do you even know what sounds good, what features are good, etc? cause i do, and sony is grade a BS.

It would pay to read the previous posts in this thread before you reply.

But hey, why not.

I'll bite.

Since you know; What "sounds" good? What "features" are good?

ss3079
05-03-2005, 09:19 PM
My M670 is still running strong ... it's a few years old now (3-4 years IIRC). No problems with it ... it skipped a few times when it was new, and oddly enough, doesn't at all now. I'd like to add that the unit isn't exactly ideally mounted and has put up with its fair share of abuse. I still haven't figured out how to completely use my 9813 - a couple buttons still remain untouched (even after the couple years I've had it).

They're not all junk ... you just have to pick and choose wisely.

kenstewart
05-03-2005, 09:24 PM
I have the CDX-F7715X and it sounds awesome. Plus it has all the features and more mentioned in previous posts. And yes, I compared it with several Alpine, Pioneer, and Kenwoods.

ChevCamaroRs89
05-03-2005, 09:30 PM
The only sony that appeals to me as far as decks are concerned is the CDX C-90. That's the only sony deck I would probably ever own, but because it's an old school, unamped, high end sq unit I wouldn't have much use for it. Any other sony gets a thumbs down from me. There is better for the same price. Def. take the Pioneer unit over the Sony.

fatryan
05-03-2005, 09:33 PM
I have. Thus my previous statements should you care to read.

Funny. You've had bad luck with their entire line? Sounds more like user error.

In EVERY manufacturer's product line, be it JL Audio or Pyle, there are good and bad products. Seldom ever is the entire line ultimately bad.

I've used Sony for the past 10 years in my own cars, and in customer cars. Never had any issues with my Sony Installations.

It would pay to read the previous posts in this thread before you reply.

But hey, why not.

I'll bite.

Since you know; What "sounds" good? What "features" are good?
sorry i didnt take the time to read everything you wrote. it was just a question, not an attack. And no, obviously i havent used their entire line. But ive used enough to know they ****. Its not user error. every company has its bad products. but when the bad overwhelms the good, then you steer clear. what features are good? well, SQ for 1. and sony sure lacks in that department. ive heard quite a few sony subs, and have yet to hear one that actually sounds ok. HUs, well a good EQ for example. sony's eqs are by far the noobiest ive ever seen. ever sony deck ive seen or used has broken within a year or 2. and as mentioned above, they skip pretty easily. amps, oh *****, dont get me started. they cant put out their RMS in ANY sony amp ive ever used. yes, ive used them and tested them. ive only used them cause i was out an amp a couple times. and id rather get a pioneer or pyle (of ****) amp than a sony. it seems as if you really havent had as much experience as you say. or you just dont know what your talkin about. dont assume the "bandwagon" is always wrong. usually, in instances such as this where the majority is on the bandwagon, they will be right.

negativezeroz
05-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Yeah Sony's don't **** at all...I had the CDX-M800 model when I first stepped into car audio. I loved the blueness of it all and how it folded down. But that was to only impress the people who nothing about car audio. They had great SQ and I enjoyed it much more. But I would say let him get the Pioneer or if ya want to do wonders try and get your hand on a Alpine CDA-9835

wow...just wow...

Pioneer hands down

Pioneer > Sony

ss3079
05-03-2005, 09:34 PM
it seems as if you really havent had as much experience as you say. or you just dont know what your talkin about.

You really have no clue who he is, do you ?

:crap:

fatryan
05-03-2005, 09:37 PM
You really have no clue who he is, do you ?

:crap:no, nor do i care. i am not here to fight. i merely put in imput from my experiences. and unless im just the unluckiest mofo out there when it comes to sony, then the bandwagon must speak the truth

netherland24
05-03-2005, 09:51 PM
well on my opinon, sony isnt that bad all around, BIG improvements with in the last 4 years and all, the amps now are good the older ones **** except for sony ES, the HU are nice the UPmodels are really good. the Subs are alright nottin to compare too really just an affordable sub for people who just want some bass. thats my 2cents.

sticks435
05-04-2005, 12:28 AM
Well I kinda stated this in another thread, but since this deals with the HU i'm looking at, i'll throw it out there. If i could get the F7815x for around $160 or a alpine/pioneer for retail, which would you guys choose?

fatryan
05-04-2005, 12:38 AM
alpine or pioneer

Slody4Futbol
05-04-2005, 02:19 AM
depends on the alpine or pioneer... i myself would rather have a higher end alpine than most pioneer units... and the higher end sony units are nice too

ntense702
05-04-2005, 02:28 AM
Xplod makes decent decks but just can't be compared to Pioneer

Slody4Futbol
05-04-2005, 02:32 AM
... sure they can.... don't you just love pioneers weak preouts? weak ground trace anyone? ever hear of people having "engine noise" when they have amps added 2 their system? most have pioneers with a bad preout...

SKyleS
05-04-2005, 02:32 AM
Top of the line Alpine is in a whole different Universe than top of the line Xplod. Let's put it that way...

sticks435
05-04-2005, 08:28 AM
Well the new Alpines aren't really anything to write home about, except for the 9855, and I can't afford that. So either find a 9833, get a weak 9853 or Pioneer 8600 or pay ~$160 and get a MF7815x.

TheHammer
05-04-2005, 10:31 PM
I think that some folks here are judging the Sony HU in question by looking at other, previous Sony HUs.
I myself if asked just a few months ago would have said "There is no way I'll be buying a Sony HU anytime soon."
Yet It looks like I just did (http://forum.soundillusions.net/showthread.php?t=49564)

Check out the specs and take a listen.
I have yet to install mine, I just picked it up today.

The Hammer

kenstewart
05-04-2005, 10:58 PM
Excellent choice Hammer. I've had the same HU for about a month now and absolutely love it.

sticks435
05-04-2005, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of that one, but with the discount i'm getting, I'll prob get the m7815x or the m8815x. I've read with the m8815x it's almost easier and faster to use the remote to control most everything instead of slipping the screen a bunch, since the inside screen is so tiny. I've got a couple weeks to hit the stores and think it over, as my buddy can't help me install it till then.

kenstewart
05-05-2005, 12:35 AM
Yeah, I was thinking of that one, but with the discount i'm getting, I'll prob get the m7815x or the m8815x. I've read with the m8815x it's almost easier and faster to use the remote to control most everything instead of slipping the screen a bunch, since the inside screen is so tiny. I've got a couple weeks to hit the stores and think it over, as my buddy can't help me install it till then.

I rarely touch the unit itself, use the remote 99% of the time as well.

TheHammer
05-05-2005, 10:52 AM
I probably would have gone for the CDX-M8815X but the silver control side just didn't do it for me. Maybe using the remote would make it more appealing.
Also the face on the CDX-M8815X is not removable like the CDX-F7715X is.
There is enough temptation already in my work van.

The Hammer

squeak9798
05-05-2005, 11:38 AM
don't you just love pioneers weak preouts?

Weak compared to what? They do rated voltage, unlike some other brands **cough** Alpine **cough**

weak ground trace anyone?

In all my years, I've never had that problem with them ;)

ever hear of people having "engine noise" when they have amps added 2 their system?

Never had engine whine with them either.....

Zane (and some others) are correct, Sony's entire lineup is not crap. However, to cite the C-90 as your "proof" isn't really fair ;) It isn't exactly indicative of the type of products Sony has produced in recent years.

But I haven't touched the new lineup.....so I have no comment on those.......

3.5Max6spd
05-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Top of the line Alpine is in a whole different Universe than top of the line Xplod. Let's put it that way...

I'll put this deck against any Alpine you'd like to compare it to in substance and out of the box SQ, not bells and whistles.....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nN4W7BBINYI/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&id=detailed_info&i=158F7715X

zane
05-05-2005, 02:47 PM
sorry i didnt take the time to read everything you wrote. it was just a question, not an attack. And no, obviously i havent used their entire line. But ive used enough to know they ****. Its not user error. every company has its bad products. but when the bad overwhelms the good, then you steer clear.

That's just it, you are making rash conclusions likeley based upon a limited use of the Sony Line.

Granted, I have not used EVERY product in the Sony line, however, I have installed and personally used darn near 90% of it over the last 10 years.

In that time, not even a single issue with any Sony Product. Kind of odd considering your view of the bad overwhelming the good and denying any user error. It's one of the two, and I'll wager on the latter being correct in your case, even if you do not wish to admit it.

You have a better chance of a Saleen S7 showing up in your driveway than you do in purchasing 2 products of the same branding that are both "lemons."

Re-read part of my first post to this topic:

Kinda throws your reliability statement out the window.

http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/shop/uploads/cdx_m630_product_image.jpg

Sony's latest technology in the Xplod line is more reminiscent of the older Mobile ES Line. They have greatly improved their designs, expanded their features, and certainly improved their appearance quite a bit.

My own CDX-M630 is a perfect example of this.

http://i16.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/00/88/01_1_b.JPG

The C-90, is obviously a slightly unfair comparison as squeak9798 pointed out. That unit was beyond it's time when released, and really still is today. It has been regarded as one of the best units available for an aftermarket Head Unit for some time. To say that this unit "*****" pretty much defines whoever says it, as a complete idiot.

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/da/20/507241-elec_lg.jpg

The EXCD-21 - here's the real bread and butter. This unit was originally released in late 1996 (IIRC) as an entry level/beginner Head Unit. Bare Bones Functions. I've had mine installed in one form or another for the past 8 years. How many entry level units do you know of that still function perfectly that are of this age?

That really throws your "reliability" statement out all together.

I have no idea where you get the idea that Sony's skip a lot. I live in a town with roads that are not exactly smooth, and have never had a Sony Skip. May be I just install the darn things correctly? Think about that one......

what features are good? well, SQ for 1. and sony sure lacks in that department. ive heard quite a few sony subs, and have yet to hear one that actually sounds ok. HUs, well a good EQ for example. sony's eqs are by far the noobiest ive ever seen. ever sony deck ive seen or used has broken within a year or 2. and as mentioned above, they skip pretty easily. amps, oh *****, dont get me started. they cant put out their RMS in ANY sony amp ive ever used. yes, ive used them and tested them. ive only used them cause i was out an amp a couple times. and id rather get a pioneer or pyle (of ****) amp than a sony.

By that logic, do you expect to just drop in a new component and magically achive sonic SQ splendor just like that?

SQ is subjective and can be controlled in any environment with a little time and effort put into it.

Sony offers a 7 band EQ with user definable programming, a Dynamic Soundstage Organizer, and independant fade/balance; Bass/Mid/High controls and Loudness options, standard on most units produced today. By no means are you going to come close to a flatline on an RTA with this, but you'd have to be completely ignorant to not be able to achieve respectable SQ with these options.

As mentioned before, I've yet to have any of my Sony's Skip in the time I've used them, and they certainly have lasted longer than 2 years.

I'll agree with you on the amplifier issue. Like many manufacturer's, Sony likes to exaggerate their actual output a bit. Not nearly as drastic as Legacy rating an amp for 2000 watts and producing about 125w x 2, but you get the idea.

I've yet to have any reliability issues otherwise with them however.

it seems as if you really havent had as much experience as you say. or you just dont know what your talkin about.

Assumption is the mother of all f*ck up's. You want to go this route....

Try me.

dont assume the "bandwagon" is always wrong. usually, in instances such as this where the majority is on the bandwagon, they will be right.

Don't board the bandwagon so easily. Find out for yourself.

It's funny how often the bandwagon is merely full of hot air rather than first hand knowledge.

fatryan
05-05-2005, 05:49 PM
If you read my posts, I said this is my opinion on my experiences. You can go on with your life assuming Sony is the be-all-end-all of car audio or whatever, but i choose not to. i havent used any of sonys recent products, but from what i have used, i will not buy sony again. and just because you had some decks that lasted a bit, doesnt mean that the whole sony line will. i havnt heard of someones sony deck ever lasting that long. maybe your just lucky...correct installs? i hardly think that is relavant. i can install basically anything, and i dont f*ck up my installs. so it is by no means user error on my part. i am done arguing this with you because neither of us are gonna prove eachother right. i still think sony is junk, and always will unless there is some miracle. and you can worship sony all you like.

TheHammer
05-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Don't get me wrong, generally I think since Xplod came out Sony has been awful junk. I do hope that they are getting better. It's not like that huge electronics giant is incapable of producing great equipment. Cheap gaudy decks I have seen in the past several years have turned me off of Sony as a brand for Head Units. I'm hoping I'm not going to be disapointed with my most recent purchase, I bought it with an open mind and for the looks and the specs. I hope it'll live up to them and more.

Only time will tell and it's only going in my work van anyhow.
(Along with a Nakamichi PA2004 amp and a single 10" Cadence Beast sub [1 cube down firing sealed] and a set of Aura MR6.2s or the Image Dynamics Chameleon CSX5s or maybe even my old Quarts.

The Hammer

acousticguitar
05-05-2005, 10:38 PM
ive heard the new sony stuff. not bad compared to jensen... but didnt hold a candle to panasonic for clarity or alpine for fullness. its not BAD, just not great either.

kenstewart
05-05-2005, 10:46 PM
I'll put this deck against any Alpine you'd like to compare it to in substance and out of the box SQ, not bells and whistles.....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nN4W7BBINYI/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&id=detailed_info&i=158F7715X

Nice to see more people touting this HU. I own it and think it sounds awesome plus it looks great. Yes I did compare it with the other brands (Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.).

sticks435
05-05-2005, 11:02 PM
acousticguitar: Which HU(s) did you hear?

r0ck
10-25-2006, 01:23 PM
I bought a Sony CDX-GT30W a month ago. I bought it before I got into the whole car audio scene and I've read a lot of negative things about sony, but my hu is working great so far. It gets pretty loud - loud enough to shake my rear view mirror at volume 20 (volume goes up to 35)

RedlineAccord
11-08-2006, 11:54 AM
The first Sony headunit I ever bought was screwed up out of the box, and it was brand new. Had to get that replaced... and that one was also messed up. I'll check on which model I have now, but I guess its alright. It looks good and has a few nice features. It's been about 2 years now, and the volume knob sometimes gets "stuck" (it turns, but the volume doesnt respond). I won't buy Sony again.

neonrt
11-13-2006, 10:03 PM
I have had many sony hu's, all performed great. their low end is like other low end stuff. thier high end is like other high end stuff. their amps i would stay away from. they like to XPLODE, lol. their speakers, eh, ok. sq is def better with other closely priced brands. subwoofers, they are alright. i had a 10" explode sub, and it lasted for years of abuse.(i was 18), and i sold it working fine. but to make my point sony hu's are good equiptment.