PDA

View Full Version : How does this frontstage sound?

impalafan95
05-01-2005, 11:06 PM
I've got 2 Treo CSX 18's, so I need a very loud frontstage. This is what I was thinking of doing, tell me what you think of it and anything you would change please.

Eclipse cd8454
ID cd1 mini horns
ID IDQ 8" midbass
some real nice midrange 6.5's
a 6channel amp of the right wattage

I was thinking running active crossover through the deck, I've read these eclipses have real good crossovers for a deck, you all think that would be a good setup? Should I buy an external active crossover instead? What about external EQ's, will the deck be sufficient, or should I get something better?

Thanks, Evan

myvanpounds
05-01-2005, 11:28 PM
the right crossover point will either make or break that setup, I'd go for the flexability of active

impalafan95
05-01-2005, 11:38 PM
the right crossover point will either make or break that setup, I'd go for the flexability of active
I'm running active regardless, i'm just not sure if I'll be fine going through the deck or if I should get an external active xover.

johnecon2001
05-01-2005, 11:42 PM
That deck'll do the job just fine.

impalafan95
05-02-2005, 12:24 AM
Ok, I'm definately getting the eclipse deck, and IDQ8's, but I may go a different direction on horns. I am thinking about doing cd-2 horns instead of the cd1 minis, the cd-2s play lower, so I wouldn't need midranges, and thus wouldn't need to build kick panels. If I just had the IDQ8's and cd2's, I would only need a 4ch amp instead of 6 right? Which do you all think would sound better, the idq8s with cd2 horns, or idq8s, cd-1 mini horns, and real nice midrange 6.5's?

Thanks, Evan

audiolife
05-02-2005, 12:29 AM
wouldnt need midranges anyway

impalafan95
05-02-2005, 12:39 AM
wouldnt need midranges anyway
I've been being told the IDQ8's can't play high enough to get to the minis, but that the cd-2s can get low enough... Anyways, you seem to know the most about horns on here, so how much better is the cd-2 over cd-1 minis. Is the sound quality better, or is it just better range? Do you think if I got the cd-2s I would need an external xover? What about equalizers? If so, could you tell me some good ones that aren't too much?

Thanks, Evan

audiolife
05-02-2005, 12:56 AM
I've been being told the IDQ8's can't play high enough to get to the minis, but that the cd-2s can get low enough... Anyways, you seem to know the most about horns on here, so how much better is the cd-2 over cd-1 minis. Is the sound quality better, or is it just better range? Do you think if I got the cd-2s I would need an external xover? What about equalizers? If so, could you tell me some good ones that aren't too much?

Thanks, Evan
the older idq can and did go over 1k cleanly as 1 k was where my cd-3s kicked in. if you where smart i would run an idq 6 or cx6 and do them propperly youll be fine ...some will say different but i know of cars where 4" was the biggest driver up front and still sounded like they had more midbass than alot of cars with 6.5's and 8's. set up means alot more than 8 speakers in a car. id rather do it right with 6 than to even mess with 8 lol. sure it looks impressive but i dunno the car i liked with horns that had a boat load of other speakers in it was also filled with pioneer odr and he could adjust about everything digitally. if your processing is no going to be extensive i really dont see why you would want a complex set up. i rule i always went by is KISS- keep it simple stupid. ill get into aurgements of processors too but its really irrelivant as with any processing you can get noise! lol

squeak9798
05-02-2005, 11:55 AM
ill get into aurgements of processors too but its really irrelivant as with any processing you can get noise! lol

Heh....I didn't have alt whine till I took my active xover out of the signal chain :crap: LOL....stupid grounds......God I hope I don't have to reground my HU :censored:

Anyways; I threw an Eclipse 8053 in my car yesterday....and so far I'm much happier with it over having the external xover. Little bit better control/options, and it's nice having the control at your fingertips (atleast, I prefer it over having them in the trunk). So, you should be pretty happy running an 8454 with this setup :thumbupw:

squeak9798
05-02-2005, 11:59 AM

Thanks, Evan

CD2's can play lower than CD1's and, from what I'm told, have smoother/better midrange. You won't need an external xover as long as you get an Eclipse that has 3-way active xover built in. Also, the Eclipse has a 10 band parametric (5 bands on the mids, 5 bands on the highs)....which may or may not be enough for you. EQ'ing with horns isn't optional, it's pretty much mandatory. It just depends on whether or not 5 bands will be enough or not.