PDA

View Full Version : Alpine users... read this please...

Slaugh
05-01-2005, 09:36 PM
hey guys im new here, i live in Brazil, so i hope you comprehend my lack of english skills and i hope you will be able to help me out with a few questions i have about this brand...

well to start off i got a great admiration for Alpine (i love the way it sounds so much i got a Alpine CDA-9815hu, a MRV-F407 and a MRV-1000 amp), but i can't disguise my indignity with the brand when it comes to a couple of things...

-The buttons - to start this well let me tell where i show most of my indignity with the brand... is anyone else finding Alpine buttons WAY too softly and wiggly and that they dont feel "right" to the touch? it feels very cheap to me and i have to press some buttons on certain spots so that it really works... expecially the ones on the top left of the faceplate (Source/Band/<< and >>), if i press these on the center of it they kinda "sink" down the faceplate so i have to press on the upper corner or lower corner so they feel tight enought for me to press em conviently...

oh come on.. for a very very good brand like this, it is unconcievable to have such bad buttons that wobbles all around as you press them and they feel like they're going to break sometimes.. is anyone experiencing this too??? i sent my alpine to the dealership and they said they would fix it and they actually did but even after that they still feel like crap... they gave me another alpine faceplates and i was shocked to testify that the other faceplates had even worse buttons than mine... in my entire life, ive never tried any product with such bad buttons like my alpine... to make this even worse when i press the upper or the lower buttons the faceplate seems to sink too like it's loose (thou the faceplate fixes tight to the back panel, it's the panel that doesnt seem to hold the pressure well as i press the buttons and so i see my faceplate moving back when i press the buttons :( )

and to complete the total ****, i also have a problem with volume knob when i sometimes crank up or down the volume knob it tends to go otherwise...

-The Swing-Face - i think a video can explain better than my words on this one..

http://s95328126.onlinehome.us/uploader/uploads/sas.mpg (right click+save as)

you can see clearly how the faceplate sinks down and up as i press the buttons .. it was a lot worse before i sent to the dealership.. this although it doesnt irritate me as much as the buttons do, it's still pretty ****** and it ***** for such an expensive head unit, dont you think? does it happen to you too?

may i ask you why the hell does it have to happen on a great product like this? i mean we pay the price for it and we deserve better... even my mom's crappy *** Sony xpload head unit have much much MUCH better buttons than my alpine...

im hoping you guys tell me the problem is with my head-unit (i bought it used, who knows if it has been abused a little), so i maybe i could try and replace my head unit for a brand new one heh...

enjoying this thread if like to ask about some functinons i found on my Alpine that arent written on the manual by holding Power/Source and quickly pressing another button of the head unit it displays messages and makes alterations on the head unit settings, what are they and what do they do exactly????

PS: oh.... and for those curious about the video - yes, i'm using it indoors heh... i still dont have my own car and my mom doesnt want it on her car :( but im making great use of it indoors heh

PS2: oh and sorry for the long thread hehe

SKyleS
05-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Wow, im using the new netscape and it gave me this message and did not load the page because of this message:

Click the image:
http://img124.echo.cx/img124/7599/untitled8gv.th.gif (http://img124.echo.cx/my.php?image=untitled8gv.gif)

Odd how I got that message.... =P

Slaugh
05-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Wow, im using the new netscape and it gave me this message and did not load the page because of this message:

Click the image:
http://img124.echo.cx/img124/7599/untitled8gv.th.gif (http://img124.echo.cx/my.php?image=untitled8gv.gif)

Odd how I got that message.... =P
ROFL

well, i dont know about that dude... but i swear there are no virus on it heh...

but only for your safety, i have uploaded it somewhere else... ;)

http://x200.putfile.com/videos/12020014041.mpg

loserpunk
05-01-2005, 10:00 PM
i can understand the buttons issue, whereas it's not as big of a deal for me, maybe your's are worse from the previous user? anyways, i'm w/ james on this one, i'm not a fan of the layout of alpines, i don't like the eq/xover of the lower models, and i don't like how they're set up on the higher models, maybe it's b/c i used to pioneer, but i took the time w/ a manual to try and figure out a 9835 a couple months ago and spent an hour or so and didn't really accomplish much other than the ability to change the buttons colors....................

so yea, great brand overall, and i guess this is just nitpicking

loserpunk
05-01-2005, 10:11 PM
The crossovers on the lower lines (i.e. CDA-7893) are retarded ... 80, 120, and 160 Hz are your choices and it's only -12 dB/octave ... This might be fine for speakers, but for subs it's just stupid ...

My GF's amp, unfortunately, does not have a built-in crossover and I don't think it sounds great when, even though the LPF is set to 80 Hz, you can still hear ****ing voices in the sub (significantly more feint, but you can still hear them if you turn the speakers off) ... A move to a -18 dB/octave crossover or some lower crossover points would be GREATLY appreciated on the LPF section ...

The EQ is horrendous ... Only two controls (Bass + Treble) :sick: ... The Bass control is alright, but the choices for the Treble center frequency just **** (10, 12.5, 15, 17.5 kHz) ...

took the words right out of my mouth :)

Slaugh
05-02-2005, 10:02 AM
hmm no one has this button problem???

Hades2004
05-02-2005, 10:55 AM
I never had an issue with the buttons on my Alpine headunit. Even when I was picking one out at the store, I was playing around with them and even the buttons on those headunit's weren't like how yours are.

req
05-02-2005, 11:22 AM
only t hing that bothers me on the 9827 i got, is the lack of explination on the crossover part, with a lack of crossover points. at first - i had no idea what this actually even did - it was kinda ambigious. didnt really explain it in the manual (specially for newbs).

i like the time to be displayed no matter what, and i cant do that if i want the song\artist to be scrolled. quite annoying.

i dont like where the 'bass\treble' button is located. its quite small and in a weird spot for being the EQ button.

pisses me off that the remote does NOT have that bass\treble button.

i would also like to see headunits come with a din on the back for the RCA jacks. i dont like plugging the RCA's right into the unit, as it makes it another inch or two deeper. i like to have a little plug like the wiring harness that comes off with the sets of RCAs like (dare i say it?) the rockford fosgate RFX series of headunits (my last hu was a RFX9300) and i liked that unit alot - beside the fact that it didnt effing work.

it had a seperate LCD for the time, and it was backlit with red (id like options, thatd be nice) and it had all the major controlls (bass\treble\fader ect) on the main pushbutton.

a few issues... but nothing major. all the buttons seem firm and in place to me.

PowerdByGuiness
05-02-2005, 02:39 PM
im fine with the touch feeling of my buttons but the placement and size jsut ****.

theyre tiny and hard to reach when youre on a bumpy freeway or offroad

loserpunk
05-02-2005, 08:03 PM
some newer pioneers have the wiring harness for the rca's like you described req, my 860 has it, heck the harness can be unplugged from the unit if need be, that's nice when you're swapping h/u's w/ the same connections and don't want to re hook up 3 pairs of rca's

Ape
05-02-2005, 10:07 PM
on a side note, your english is probably better than 80% of the people here ;)

req
05-03-2005, 12:21 AM
| \^/ |\_\_ p\^/|\| _/(o)(o), 4/>3 !!!

4/=73|2 1 /=|_|</< _/00 1|\| _/00|2 4|\||_|5!!!oneoneone~!!

Ape
05-03-2005, 12:27 AM
omg u R ghey!11 LOL1!

Echo42987
05-03-2005, 12:33 AM
I think your worried to much about the small things...If I was alpine I wouldn't care about the buttons as much as the performance. And how it wiggles, it's not going anywhere and will be just fine.

It's a good thread none the less I just think your bugging yourself over nothing.

noob with an RS
05-03-2005, 07:05 AM
my DETACH button is like that. i have to press it at a certain angle for it to be stiff and in line with the button or something like that to detach it self. kinda a pester but i love my alpine 7995 other than the fact it skips on cheap CD-Rs.

Slaugh
05-03-2005, 09:58 AM
I think your worried to much about the small things...If I was alpine I wouldn't care about the buttons as much as the performance. And how it wiggles, it's not going anywhere and will be just fine.

It's a good thread none the less I just think your bugging yourself over nothing.
hehe it's amazing what this thread turned into 1337 h4x0r speaking and **** heh :p

but dude you have no idea how the buttons bother me... it's very depressing to know that ive paid all this much on a car stereo (and i love this head unit, i dont wanna have any other by any other brand) and the buttons feel like cheap plastic :crap: