PDA

View Full Version : So I got the infinity's but there distorting?

skadude016
05-01-2005, 09:30 AM
I installed 2 pairs of infinity 652.5i 's into my jeep. The Rms on these things are 75 watts, Now when I turn it up 7/8th's of the loudest volume they sound like there distorting, and they dont sound that great at all. Now right now I'm using a BPV 655 Blaupunkt that puts out 26 watts RMS/55 watts max x 4 channels. So why am I getting a distorted sound?

adam71
05-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Is this a deck you're powering them with??

XtrmAudioCncpts
05-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Is this a deck you're powering them with??

yeah its the deck hes powering it with.

First off most speaker distort when you almost put full volume to them. make sure all your connections on your speakers are good(nothing is hooked up backwards or no connection has fallen off)

How does it sound at lower volume levels?

Trancer
05-01-2005, 11:03 AM
The reason why its distorting is because you are running them off of the Headunit

skadude016
05-01-2005, 01:38 PM
ya my connections are all good and the quality at low levels is great! I dont wanna hook up a amp up to it. Is there anyway I can play my music loud and not get distortion?

andy1234
05-01-2005, 01:48 PM
in my moms dakota if i play with the equilizer and turn the bass down to almost half i can usualy get it up to max volume and having no distorstion on it with the music i listen to, but if idf listen to rap i dont think i coould. its a stock infinity system

skadude016
05-01-2005, 02:30 PM
so i should get an equilizer?

95RAM
05-01-2005, 02:36 PM
buy an amp you cheap person.
get a profile if you dont want to spend too much money
hu's arent even good at playing regular speakers

kuijo
05-01-2005, 02:39 PM
See if u can turn the bass down on your headunit.

skadude016
05-01-2005, 02:40 PM
I would buy an amp but i only have one set of preamp outs on my HU. so what do i do?

95RAM
05-01-2005, 02:51 PM
do you already have an amp?
IF not then just hook up the amp normal.
If you do most amps have outputs on them so you can hook it up like so

skadude016
05-01-2005, 02:54 PM
I have an amp but its powering my woofers. Is there any way to get better sounding sound without getting an amp?

knight2006
05-01-2005, 03:01 PM
wat headunit, wat amp, and wat woofers u got? maybe that could help us?

skadude016
05-01-2005, 03:52 PM
HU. already said what it was in the beginning. woofers are 2 12 inch Dragster entry level
amp is Dragster DB210

FOSGATE JOE
05-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Yes you can but a amp to that deck??On my amps i have high inputs on the amp which i can take my h.u wires and run them to the amp .

Berry47
05-01-2005, 09:45 PM
The reason why you're getting distortion is because you're overdriving the head unit's internal amplifier to try to get more power (volume) out of your speakers ...

The simple answer is:

You need an amplifier capable of more clean output to achieve the volume you desire ...

Couldn't have said it any better......

Trancer
05-02-2005, 12:12 AM
But, I thought I said that in the beginning... LOL

skadude016
05-02-2005, 10:14 AM
ok but I dont wanna use an Amp! is there anyother way to get clearer sound?

2wheeler
05-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Does your HU have a crossover? If so, use the crossover to block the lows from your speakers. Or use bass blockers. The idea is to stop your speakers from trying to make bass, thats what your sub is for. Or just get an amp.

UndercoverPunk
05-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Maybe if I say it really big....

No! Get an AMP!

cobra133
05-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Dude, just buy and amp and all these problems will go away! I have a 50x4 rms amp i'll sell you for 75 shipped. PM/email/aim me if you are interested.

MadAudio
05-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by skadude016
yes there is simply turn your radio down and you will get clearer sound or buy a amp(best option) and really enjoy those speakers .
since your radio only has one rca out and you are using it for a sub make sure the amp has high level inputs that way you can just run the speaker wires from radio to amp instead of rca . you could also just get a high level to rca converter .

Hundreth
05-02-2005, 04:35 PM
um, if you have one pair of preouts, and you have an external amp, just use the line outs on the external amp... if you don't have an external amp, then just connect it normally...

2wheeler
05-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Newb here, so I could be totally off, but cant you get more volume at higher freqs by using the available HU power only for the higher freqs? If the HU amp has been running full range, couldnt the system be louder by taking all bass duties from the HU and letting the sub do that work? Would bass blockers do this? Say 100 hz and up for the HU, below that to the sub. Just an idea, I could be wrong.

lotas
05-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Newb here, so I could be totally off, but cant you get more volume at higher freqs by using the available HU power only for the higher freqs? If the HU amp has been running full range, couldnt the system be louder by taking all bass duties from the HU and letting the sub do that work? Would bass blockers do this? Say 100 hz and up for the HU, below that to the sub. Just an idea, I could be wrong.
thats why people are telling him to use the crossover, because his speaker may not be crossed over so its playing all frequencies and its not meant to play anything under, say 80hz.

I would crossover the highs at 100hz and the sub at 80hz, then let the crossover rolloff grab the middle frequencies in there.

Like many people have stated, you dont just turn up the volume all the way and expect it to not be distorted. Your HU is putting out 18-25watts to each speaker, you are pushing it by turning it up all the way, you are feeding your speaker 25watts of unclean, distorted power. you need a more powerful amplifier to drive your speakers, one that will put out clean power of say 50watts, not clipping your HU for 25 watts.

You are also hurting your speakers. So if you need to go louder, you are gonna have to shell out some $ and time!

squeak9798
05-02-2005, 06:58 PM

Two different reasons for distortion;

What people here are saying is that the amp itself is disorting because it is being pushed past it's limits. No way to change that.

Adding a crossover and such will reduce the distortion caused by the speaker by not allowing it to play frequencies it has a hard time reproducing....but that won't change the fact that the amp itself will distort when driven to a certain level.

adam71
05-02-2005, 08:14 PM

Ok man, is there a reason why you don't want to put an amp on these speakers?? Can't afford it right now?? Don't have the room??

You're not going to find a magical solution to this problem. These guys have explained to you that there is no other way and they're right there is NO other way to get a louder and cleaner output from your speakers.

One thing to check though. Is the amp that you're powering your subs with TRI-MODE capable.??? If it is you can run your fronts and your subs off the same 2 channel amp. If it is a mono amp then it won't work. But if its a 2 channel its possible.

Just a thought.

-Adam :D

skadude016
05-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Ya its a 2 channel but i dont know how to figure out if its TRI - MODE capable

adam71
05-02-2005, 10:56 PM
I would never use Tri-mode, personally ...

Basically, you wire one speaker to each channel on the amp and then bridge the subwoofer(s) ... However, you need to wire an inline low-pass filter on the subwoofer(s) to prevent the sub(s) from playing high frequencies or the sub(s) will sound like **** ...

Exactly, neither would I. The obvious choice is a second amp. But in this case it may be the only way if he doesn't want to buy a second amp.

adam71
05-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Ya its a 2 channel but i dont know how to figure out if its TRI - MODE capable

Read your owner's manual under "wiring" or however your manual states it.

Berry47
05-02-2005, 11:47 PM
This thread is annoying...

Trancer
05-03-2005, 12:12 AM
:word:

adam71
05-03-2005, 12:16 AM
This thread is annoying...

Yeah well, the Sooners **** !!

j/k :laugh: :laugh:

jacko
05-03-2005, 11:45 AM
agree with berry.

Berry47
05-03-2005, 01:17 PM
There is no point of trying to convince someone that has already made thier mind up.....

hiloracerboy84
05-05-2005, 06:44 PM
i say get rid of those speakers and buy some cheap ones! ive used kappas before and they NEED an external amp to push em nicely. u have two choices:
1. use the H/U and get crappy sound at crappy volumes
or
2. get another amp and be blown away by the infinity's ability to produce bright as crap hurt your ears highs IF and WHEN u get that good, clean power

even a small amp like 35x4 will do. it may seem like "only 10 watts more than my H/U" but its good, clean, dedicated power and WILL make the biggest difference in the world

OR, you could just get some crappy pioneer or sony speakers that'll be more suited to using ur H/U power....

..kinda weird tho since the sensitivity on infinitys are really high