PDA

View Full Version : midbass options/low pass filters?

VifferMike
04-28-2005, 09:32 PM
New to the forum here, with a couple of questions about midbass drivers:

Background: I'm about to install two 6.5-inch midbass drivers (brand and model TBD) in a bulkhead behind the seats of a two-seat car. Directional drivers (i.e., tweeters) don't work well in this location because they're muffled by the seats, and I've got Infinity Kappa components in the doors and on the dash now. I don't want two pair of tweeters screwing up the soundstage in a tiny car.

My questions:
1) Do I need to install some sort of in-line low-pass filter for the midbass drivers, which will run on the rear-speaker outputs of my stereo? They're generally rated at 35 to 55 Hz-3,000 kHz, but I'm not sure those limits are built into the speakers themselves.
2) I have about 3.5 inches of mounting depth to work with. Can anyone recommend a midbass driver for this application? Price is not an object, but I'd like to keep the price below $100 for a pair.
3) Are universal adapter rings for factory mounting locations available for certain brands? I really don't want to drill, but I will if I have to ...

Many thanks!

Mike
Dallas, Texas

squeak9798
04-29-2005, 12:36 PM
New to the forum here, with a couple of questions about midbass drivers:

Background: I'm about to install two 6.5-inch midbass drivers (brand and model TBD) in a bulkhead behind the seats of a two-seat car. Directional drivers (i.e., tweeters) don't work well in this location because they're muffled by the seats, and I've got Infinity Kappa components in the doors and on the dash now. I don't want two pair of tweeters screwing up the soundstage in a tiny car.

What's the purpose of putting mids behind you? What are you trying to accomplish?

1) Do I need to install some sort of in-line low-pass filter for the midbass drivers, which will run on the rear-speaker outputs of my stereo? They're generally rated at 35 to 55 Hz-3,000 kHz, but I'm not sure those limits are built into the speakers themselves.

Yes, you will need to find a way to bandpass the mids (highpass and lowpass).

2) I have about 3.5 inches of mounting depth to work with. Can anyone recommend a midbass driver for this application? Price is not an object, but I'd like to keep the price below $100 for a pair.

Again, what are you trying to accomplish here? What is the main purpose behind putting mids back there? What frequency range do you want to run them, and how are you powering them (HU's amp or external amp?)??

3) Are universal adapter rings for factory mounting locations available for certain brands? I really don't want to drill, but I will if I have to ...

I honestly can't think of anywhere off hand that sells adaptor rings.

VifferMike
04-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Squeak,
I'm going with frequency-limited drivers in this location that primarily emit non-directional sound, because anything directional becomes muffled because of the seats. The seat backs typically sit about 2 inches from the front of the factory grilles, which effectively chokes off any high-mid and tweeter dispersion and screws up the soundstage.
I plan on running the speakers from the HU (Premier DEH-P860MP rated at 50W x 4, which is plenty for this small of a car); I don't need tons of power; I'm not a sub-bass freak (I didn't choose Infinity Kappas for their bass response, LOL), though I know that bass needs more power to be clean. I want to run midbass drivers in this factory location to slightly bolster the low and low-mid end throughout the car, with a minimum of modifications. I'll likely run a low-pass filter at 1 kHz or so; that's generally where strict source-specific directionality starts on the audible frequency band. I won't run a high-pass filter; no need to if I want the drivers to run from their bottom end to 1kHz.

I've narrowed down my choices to the Pyle PLM65, the Goldwood GW-S650/4, and the Pioneer C16EU20-52D.

Berry47
04-29-2005, 03:40 PM
Have you looked at any dayton stuff on partsexpress.com

I have the reference series and they are midbass monsters. They lack a litlle form 1.5k-3k so I put my old speakers back up front and moved hem to the back to feed the rear passengers.

They are a 7" driver but I would recommend the following....

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-308

Different series but still a good woofer.

If your looking for bass (like a sub) check this out...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-832

tangband makes some good drivers.

The daytons are around the same price as the ones your looking at and the tb's might be a good alternative.

VifferMike
04-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Berry47,
Yep, I looked at both the Dayton and the Tang Band. Both are just barely too deep to mount in the factory location; the Dayton's 3 1/2 inches (might juuust fit, but with three sub-3-inch-deep alternatives, I'll take a chance on them), and the TB is 3 7/8 inches. I could use a 1" spacer adaptor, but I want to retain the factory speaker covers for theft-deterrence reasons.
Also, with the Tang Band, I'm worried that there isn't enough volume in the bulkhead for a subwoofer to operate efficiently. It's very thin and very narrow. I ruled out subwoofers in favor of midbass woofers for that specific reason.
Now I've just got to find an in-line low-pass crossover/filter rated between 400 Hz and 1 kHz (6 or 12dB slope will do). No major speaker parts/car stereo retailer seems to sell them.

Berry47
04-29-2005, 11:32 PM
thats going to be hard to find... have you considered diy

imready77
05-02-2005, 11:36 AM
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11902 maybe these will work.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=12138 these too.