PDA

View Full Version : help difference between Eclipse 8455 & Alpine 9855

roderick.ray
04-26-2005, 02:21 PM
I looked them up but I don't understand which one will sound better or is worth the money, both of them are around $500 so I was just wondering which one is a better buy. I need help bad. I'm deployed right now and I told my mom to take my car and get one of them and I just want to be able to tell her exactly which one before the first

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/641629 my site with my car

This is the Eclipse 8455 stuff

CD, CD-R/RW, WMA and MP3
compatibility
Circle Surround II (pro mode off)
E-iSERV connectivity
Area Shot (basic map, arrow and text)
GPS unit-ready
Motion Picture
Advanced 2-mode Sound Control DSP:
Parametric EQ
10 band (pro mode on)
7 band (pro mode off)
Multi-Harmonizer
Time Alignment
Crossover
Listening Position Selector
Source Volume Control
Memory Stick-ready for
recording/playback (ATRAC3)
All digital circuitry with advanced 24-bit D/A converter
High 8V preamp output with low 55 impedance
HD Radio-ready
SIRIUS Satellite Radio-ready
FM/AM tuner
MOSFET power amplification
8-step full dot VF display
5-pattern illumination
MS or CD ESN security
Digital input
3 prs. pre outputs
Aux input
Remote control

this is the Alpine 9855 stuff

• 50W MAX x 4 High Power Amplifier
• 3 PreOuts (4V)
• SwingFace GlideTouch Mechanism
• SAT Radio Ready
• Ready for iPodฎ
• Bass Engine Pro™
- 6-Channel Digital Time Correction
- 6-Position HP/LP Digital Crossover
-Subwoofer Level Control
-Subwoofer Phase Selector
-Bass Focus
• 5-Band Digital Parametric Equalizer
• 3- Way or 2-Way Digital Channel Crossover
• Media Xpander™
• CD-R/RW Playback
• MP3/WMA Decoder/Playback
• MP3 Text Information Display
• QuickSearch Function (MP3 Files)
• CD Text, CD Text Display, CD Text Scroll
• CD Shuttle Control Function
• Versatile-Link™ Ready
• MaxTune SQ Tuner
• Regulated 1-Bit DAC
• Wireless Remote Control Included
• OEM Steering Remote Ready
• Detachable Trim Plate
• Anti-Theft Detachable Front Panel

3.5Max6spd
04-26-2005, 04:27 PM
The Eclipse is loaded with the stuff you wanna pay $500 for. It has no competition in its price IMO

T3mpest
04-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Thye are lying on the preout voltage though is only 2v. Someone tested it on ECA.

imready77
04-27-2005, 09:11 PM
how much is the cd8455

limitkid7
04-27-2005, 10:40 PM
peep new caraudio mag. info on top of the line decks are in there

roderick.ray
04-28-2005, 01:08 AM
thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate it. I guess I'll get the Eclipse one. I'm not sure which one you all were saying was lying about the output. Is it the Eclipse or the Alpine that's 2v, and I can't just go to the store and get the magazine so if you don't mind tell me what it says basiclly about those two. I appreciate all the help

limitkid7
04-28-2005, 01:17 AM
imo i wouldn't waste my time nor money getting the alpine 9855, i heard teh scroll technology is a waste of time. you MIGHT want to overlook the eclipse too .

you may want to consider alpine 9835 or even the 9815 and if you really want to save money get the 9815 as all of the performance (specs) technology is the same on teh alpine decks, which is kind of sad. you're getting the 2005 model wow, YET what can it do for my speakers that the last 3 years models can't? UMM nothin

3.5Max6spd
04-28-2005, 08:14 AM
Thye are lying on the preout voltage though is only 2v. Someone tested it on ECA.

dude you are full of shyt....that was NOT a test...no o-scope with 0db sinewave used-thats how you test preouts....not what a level match by ear with a POS audiocontrol light tells you :laugh:

limitkid7
04-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Rolmao, Someone Just Got Snapped On Hahaaaaaaaaaaaa

BodegaBay
04-29-2005, 04:16 AM
I tested both last night in my vehicle. I am in the midst of writing a long review but just am too tired tonight to complete it. Perhaps this weekend I can complete it.

Bottom line: The extra $150 for the Eclipse 8455 vs. the Alpine 9855 is well deserved and more. Yes, the BioLite display on the Alpine is awe inspiring but the Eclipse was a very clear winner in the SQ Dept. Fantastic stereo separation and exceptional integration with bass. Highs were clear without any clipping on the Eclipse 8455. The Alpine, on the other hand, exhibited harshness with the high frequencies often breaking/clipping as volume increased. Bass was less defined on the Alpine as well with very weak on the RCA output. GlideTouch, while nice to see something different, is a novelty at best. I came to abhore it in the hour I used it; it absolutely have no place on the road. I predict Alpine will return to hard buttons within next or two model years. I bought the Eclipse at the Good Guys and Alpine at Crutchfield. Both stores have 30 day return policies and tommorrow I am sending back the Alpine. I was hoping the Alpine would return to their old days of building exceptional deck units but unless you buy into a F1, that is no longer the reality. The only true affordable high end SQ decks are Clarion (DRZ), Pioneer (Premier), and Eclipse (8xxx). And Eclipse just raised the bar by packing MP3, Satellite, GPS and highly flexible (finally!) audio settings -- all useful features to the already excellent SQ.

In case anyone wanted proof that I indeed tested both units...

http://home.nvbell.net/pchone/8455_1.jpg

http://home.nvbell.net/pchone/8455_2.jpg

http://home.nvbell.net/pchone/9355.jpg

Bavarian3
04-29-2005, 04:56 AM
the new eclipses look like poops :(

roderick.ray
04-29-2005, 05:06 AM
thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it

limitkid7
04-29-2005, 07:29 AM
THANKS AS WELL....

don't forget to put this in the product review section.

3.5Max6spd
04-29-2005, 08:20 AM
Nice!!! Bodegabay....nothing like an a/b comparison

I've had decent time with the 9855 as I've installed a few but not in my own car with my speakers. Waiting for your full review- congrats and good luck

audiofx81
05-30-2005, 03:22 AM
i need to try out the eclipse, i dunno what i was thinking but i had purchased the cda-9855 after being a long time eclipse onyl (for hu's) person. I just didnt like the looks on the new units ut SQ ofcourse is most important, once i get my full setup done ill see how it sounds and pay close attention to the highs, worst case ill sell the 9855 and grab the eclipse.

silverdj
05-30-2005, 03:46 PM
I did like my alpine 9853 to the P.O.S. decided one day to not work. Now I have to listen to the same **** cd until next week or later before Ultimate can get another one. I hate those dumbf#^&s.

pjm2211
03-07-2006, 02:50 PM
I was at the stereo shop for hours messing with the 9855 and 8455 side by side. ended up with the 8455. the glide touch p*ssed me off after about 5 minutes or less.:furious:

spudracer326
03-07-2006, 02:57 PM
wow this thread was only 8 months old....

JLCivic
03-07-2006, 04:59 PM
imo i wouldn't waste my time nor money getting the alpine 9855, i heard teh scroll technology is a waste of time. you MIGHT want to overlook the eclipse too .

you may want to consider alpine 9835 or even the 9815 and if you really want to save money get the 9815 as all of the performance (specs) technology is the same on teh alpine decks, which is kind of sad. you're getting the 2005 model wow, YET what can it do for my speakers that the last 3 years models can't? UMM nothin

The 9815 and 9835 don't really have the same performance. The 9815 was released during the "gutless alpine pre out" phase they went through for at least 2 years. The 9835 from reports I have read on the forums, has stronger pre outs than the 9815(regardless of what the rating is).

Now as to the question at hand, I would take the Eclipse over alpine....just think Eclipse makes a better sounding deck to my ears. The only thing ANYBODY can do is try to check out both and see what they think.