PDA

View Full Version : custom floor standing speaker-phl

HERETIC
04-26-2005, 02:41 PM
yep im knew to home audio, i've been talking to allen at focal about some custom dyi speakers for the past couple of weeks. this is what we came up with.... phl 18" midwoofer,phl 6.5 midbass driver, and focal tweet . this will be in a ported box with a sealed seperate chamber for the mids and tweets. any body have any experience with phl and focal for home audio? alan at focal is gonna build some custom crossovers for my set up. i listen to heavy metal-never thought of using 18" woofers for the type of music i listen to. oh i plan on using adcom re amps and amplifiers. thie speaker i plan on building is 94 db

JimJ
04-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Focal makes nice drivers...I'm not a huge fan of a 3way setup, but it sounds like this guy knows what he's doing.

thie speaker i plan on building is 94 db

What kind of enclosure are you using? If you're looking to get 94dB/W out out of a massive and complex 3way setup, you're going to need some very efficient cabinets.

PV Audio
04-26-2005, 07:12 PM
i forsee front loaded folded horn in your future

JimJ
04-26-2005, 07:14 PM
That's about the only way to do it with inefficient drivers...

I designed a 94dB/W speaker in a bass reflex cabinet, but the drivers themselves were very efficient to begin with.

If you're using an 18", why not go open baffle?

PV Audio
04-26-2005, 07:52 PM
That's about the only way to do it with inefficient drivers...

I designed a 94dB/W speaker in a bass reflex cabinet, but the drivers themselves were very efficient to begin with.

If you're using an 18", why not go open baffle?
that would make sense, but it sounds like he wants a d'appolito style

PV Audio
04-26-2005, 07:53 PM
http://www.zalytron.com/AxonArray.htm > 18" open baffle :D

HERETIC
04-27-2005, 04:10 AM
im totally new at this home audio stuff- i spent about $750.00 on some decent polk floor stands and wasn't to impressed with metal music. the speakers sounded great in a 5.1 set up and easy listening music and sounded o.k not great for heavy metal. i called parts express(very unhelpful !!!) zalytron, focal,and madisound to try to find out what is a good system for metal- allen at focal was very helpful. he recommended the phl midbass drivers,focal tweet and 18" phl woofer- madisound recommended audox 6.5 midrange,fostex tw100 horn,and a 12" woofer(cant rember the brand,catalog in car).

im looking to build a speaker that will get loud with little to none ditortion-and perfect for metal. im so cluseless when it comes to port size,box,design,and tweets for home audio-
\
i sure would like to know more about this stuff

HERETIC
04-27-2005, 04:13 AM
ahh crap forgot to post the pics on the polk- so not satisfied for mrtal/////

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=3&speaker=349

JimJ
04-27-2005, 04:28 AM
but it sounds like he wants a d'appolito style

= MTM (mid-tweet-mid), "2.5" way using identical midbass/midwoofers and a single tweeter. Not quite what he had in mind :)

Did Madisound recommend any enclosures? They generally have an excellent selection of manufacturer and project enclosures to try, I know I've seen 3-way designs on there before. That's where I got my info to start my own project.

HERETIC
04-27-2005, 04:34 PM
= MTM (mid-tweet-mid), "2.5" way using identical midbass/midwoofers and a single tweeter. Not quite what he had in mind :)

Did Madisound recommend any enclosures? They generally have an excellent selection of manufacturer and project enclosures to try, I know I've seen 3-way designs on there before. That's where I got my info to start my own project.

madisound didnt recommend an enclosure,those guys i think frown against loud speakers. they were wineing about sound quality and hearing loss, when i asked them about building a floor standing 3-way speaker. to me building a speaker with dual 6.5 mid woofers and tweet paired up a seperate subwoofer isnt too appealing. i want that old school 3-way look. to build a box for that system allen at focal designed would be crazy as hell- the box is goona be 10 cubic ft just for the 18"s!!!!! mr.frost do you have any experiance or knowledge of phl?

http://www.phlaudio.com/datasheets/17_pdf/1330_1290.pdf

http://www.phlaudio.com/datasheets/46_pdf/7030.pdf

JimJ
04-27-2005, 04:53 PM
when i asked them about building a floor standing 3-way speaker.

That surprises me, considering they have things like this: http://madisound.com/pdf/Kits/eton8.2kit.pdf on their site.

No, I don't have any specific experience with PHL drivers...

HERETIC
04-27-2005, 05:26 PM
if you built a system for metal only what would you build?

JimJ
04-27-2005, 05:34 PM
I'd build something that had a very strong midbass response...

Beat_Dominator
04-27-2005, 05:36 PM
I'd build something that had a very strong midbass response...

Yeah and smaller Sub, like dual 8's for that extra kick :p:

JimJ
04-27-2005, 05:43 PM
That's enclosure dependent.

Beat_Dominator
04-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Well yeah, that's kind of implied.

HERETIC
04-27-2005, 05:51 PM
strong midbass huh? well those phl's are for studio monitors and lod pa systems. they used phl's in the olympics pa systems and ditched jbl. so from what i listed y'all dont think this system will have some strong midbass?

PV Audio
04-27-2005, 06:40 PM
pro sound equipment is generally bass and highs oriented. i'd PERSONALLY do a line array of 6.5" drivers (5) and 2 1" tweets at the top.....maybe throw in a 12" sub in the side of each tower, or just use a 15" standalone. doesn't get much better than that :D

HERETIC
04-27-2005, 07:26 PM
I Just Want To Rule For Metal-need The Best Set-up

Echo42987
04-27-2005, 07:31 PM
I'm a little late stepping into this...But my father just Bought a whole Polk system and it is simply amazing! The best system I have ever heard period...and I've herad tons. They make amazing speakers.

Towers-LSi15
Center-LSiC
Rears-FXi5
Sub-Martin Logan Grotto

The most amazing Sound Quality system I have ever heard in my life. Simply amazing...All Powered by the Denon 3805

HERETIC
04-27-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm a little late stepping into this...But my father just Bought a whole Polk system and it is simply amazing! The best system I have ever heard period...and I've herad tons. They make amazing speakers.

Towers-LSi15
Center-LSiC
Rears-FXi5
Sub-Martin Logan Grotto

The most amazing Sound Quality system I have ever heard in my life. Simply amazing...All Powered by the Denon 3805

sounds great for movies- i got some very good polks but they dont sound very good for heavy metal and they need alot of power-they are rated at 88db

PV Audio
04-28-2005, 12:41 AM
i smell a diy with some decieving woofers.....................or just some dayton reference series 7", davis electronics 16gkl, OR if u can afford it hehe the davis 20tk8 ( i have yet to hear a speaker that sounds better than this driver (dappolito style, 2 woofers, morel tweeters)) or another speaker that is comparable to the dayton reference, but has better bass response is the hi vi f6 6" midbass. i've had experience, not extensively (except for dayton reference and the 16gkls), with all of these and if u want a serious system, any of them will do u good. throw 3 avalanche 18"ers in a coffin with 1000 on each, and you will have an unbeatable system (lol just use one for regular music).