PDA

View Full Version : DIY active setup

eric77
04-25-2005, 11:07 PM
I am thinking about getting a 4ch amp a set of mids and tweets and then running everything active. I'll probably get a next 4ch amp that 80rmsx 4 and then a pair of eD eu650 mids, which are supposedly identical to the hd mids which are known beast :) , and possibly this lgm tweeter http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=4621582.15092&pid=635 or a cdt tw24 tweeter for 70 shipped The lgm tweeter is supposed to be very similar to one used by jl and diamond on the original hex's that were made in germany, although Im leaning towards the cdt. Total cost comes out to under 300 for everything.

I dont have an external eq and my pioneer h/u only has a very basic one. I am plannign on trying to set it up w/o an external eq but if worse comes to worse I will get one. Any recommendations for one around $100?

Also, I am considering running 2 seperate amps rather than a single 4 ch. i would run a NEXT q.12 (2x60w @4 ohm) to the tweets and then a NEXT VRz 2.400 (160wx2@4ohms) to the mids. Its only $50 more than it would be to run a 4 ch, so I may do it. Do you think it will be worthwhile?

How do you guys think everything would sound? Would everything work fine? Let me know of any recommendations you may have. Thanks.

freshbondoscent
04-25-2005, 11:29 PM
http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=EQL
its a little higher than 100 but its pretty solid
i see you got at least a little info about those amps.

eric77
04-26-2005, 01:07 AM
what do u guys think of these for hp'in the mids http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=266-272 ?

Raven
04-26-2005, 01:19 AM
Harrison Labs = good stuff. Good, expensive stuff.

freshbondoscent
04-26-2005, 03:47 AM
work solid only thing is adjustability is an issue without haveing a bunch of sets of those otherwise good stuff

squeak9798
04-26-2005, 11:05 AM
and possibly this lgm tweeter http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=4621582.15092&pid=635

That's LPG, not LGM ;) But, regardless, I've heard some great things about them.

I dont have an external eq and my pioneer h/u only has a very basic one. I am plannign on trying to set it up w/o an external eq but if worse comes to worse I will get one. Any recommendations for one around $100?

You mean active crossover?

The Coustic XM6 is a good choice....if you look on ebay for thestereodirect, sometimes they have them for $85. Very solid and good quality unit for the price. Sounddomain has them also for a pretty reasonable price IIRC.

About the Fmods...as aka audiolife said, the only problem with those is adjustability. It'd be much better to use an active xover with bandpass controls to really dial in the xover frequencies you need...since you won't really know for sure till everything is installed and running together.

eric77
04-26-2005, 09:41 PM
You mean active crossover?

The Coustic XM6 is a good choice....if you look on ebay for thestereodirect, sometimes they have them for $85. Very solid and good quality unit for the price. Sounddomain has them also for a pretty reasonable price IIRC.

About the Fmods...as aka audiolife said, the only problem with those is adjustability. It'd be much better to use an active xover with bandpass controls to really dial in the xover frequencies you need...since you won't really know for sure till everything is installed and running together.

No, I meant eq. I was unsure of how well I'd be able to tune it w/o an eq, but I think I'll be alright. Worse comes to worse, I'll call up my godfather in Italy and ask for an eclipse 8454 as a belated b day present :) The amps I'm getting are supposed to have pretty good crossovers and the only one I'm worried about is my hp for the mids.

I was messing with my head unit today and I realized that I didnt wire my sub amp into the sub out rca on the h/u. I also noticed I had an hp on the h/u
but it would eliminate EVERYTHING below whatever I set it at. If I were to wire the sub off the sub out then would the HP not affect the sub? If not, could I just
use this as my HP rather than one of those FMODs? BTW, heres my cd player http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4039_34631_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_Prod uctDetailComponent

heres what I have planned at the moment
cdt tw24 tweets
eD eu650 mids
NEXT vr 2.400 for mids
NEXT vr 2.200 for tweets
fmod to hp the mids @ 70hz
What do you guys think? It comes out to just under 300 for both amps, mids tweets and the fmod

eric77
04-27-2005, 12:37 AM
I just learned that I can hp my mids off of my h/u so I will be doing that rather than using an fmod. This is cheaper and IMO should be a better solution as it will allow for more flexibility. I will run one rca from the sub out to the nine1 and one rca to the next 2.400 from the h/u. then, since my h/u only has 2 rca outs I will daisy chain a shorter rca to the second next amp. This sound good?

As for amps I am going to be getting a NEXT vr 2.200 and a NEXT vr 2.400. These amps are handmade in Italy in the audison factory and are supposed to be great. I will be using the crossovers they have for now, until I can upgrade my h/u to something along the lines of an eclipse 8454 or 8053. The vr 2.400 will power the eu650 mids at 160wx2 and the vr 2.200 will power the tw-24 tweets at up to 90wx2 rms, although they will obviously get nowhere near this.
heres a pic of a vr 4ch though it looks just like the 2 ch's.
http://img252.echo.cx/img252/3152/vrz4400b29lv.jpg

I guess thats all the ideas I have for now. What do you think? any coments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kali77
04-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Very nice looking amp :yumyum: . Do you have a link to more info on them? If they are hand made in the Audison factory I am sure they are very nice, and exspensive. Thanks.

squeak9798
04-27-2005, 12:14 PM
I just learned that I can hp my mids off of my h/u so I will be doing that rather than using an fmod. This is cheaper and IMO should be a better solution as it will allow for more flexibility. I will run one rca from the sub out to the nine1 and one rca to the next 2.400 from the h/u. then, since my h/u only has 2 rca outs I will daisy chain a shorter rca to the second next amp. This sound good?

As for amps I am going to be getting a NEXT vr 2.200 and a NEXT vr 2.400. These amps are handmade in Italy in the audison factory and are supposed to be great. I will be using the crossovers they have for now, until I can upgrade my h/u to something along the lines of an eclipse 8454 or 8053. The vr 2.400 will power the eu650 mids at 160wx2 and the vr 2.200 will power the tw-24 tweets at up to 90wx2 rms, although they will obviously get nowhere near this.
heres a pic of a vr 4ch though it looks just like the 2 ch's.

I guess thats all the ideas I have for now. What do you think? any coments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

As long as you are able to properly bandpass the mids and highpass the tweets, you should be good.

squeak9798
04-27-2005, 04:45 PM
BTW, how much do those Next amps cost??

audiolife
04-27-2005, 05:17 PM
i would get 1 set of f mods and an eqx lol kill 2 birds with 1 stone. man you sure got them amps fast. have you opened her up?

eric77
04-27-2005, 08:37 PM
i would get 1 set of f mods and an eqx lol kill 2 birds with 1 stone. man you sure got them amps fast. have you opened her up?
i didnt get the amps yet. I just sent the money and hopefully he'll ship them tomorrow.

eric77
04-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Amps shipped out today. :woot:
I just ordered the eD eu 650 mids through eD. $136 shipped for the pair :woot:

I was going to buy them off my friend used for $130, but eD's price was just too good.

Im waiting on a reply from djdilliodon to order the tweets and I am waiting on a reply from johnecon to order all my wiring.

Warren G
04-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Nice looking amps, how much did they cost ya?

eric77
04-28-2005, 08:13 PM
Nice looking amps, how much did they cost ya?
$136 shipped for the pair :woot

eric77
04-28-2005, 09:56 PM
just ordered the tweets :woot:
all thats left now is the wiring.

THUNDERBIRD
04-28-2005, 10:16 PM
now all u have to do is wait for the ups man to come. i love that day

squeak9798
04-29-2005, 12:03 AM
$136 shipped for the pair :woot

:wow:

Where?

eric77
05-01-2005, 12:00 AM
:wow:

Where?
edit: Email maxima1@ ameritech.net
tell him eric sent you

eric77
05-01-2005, 12:00 AM
I just bought a coustic xm6 crossover! This is turning out to be a chit load of stuff. I've got eD mids, cdt tweets, next amps, a coustic xm6, 1/0 wiring, and all those other wiring goodies on their way.

:woot:

adam71
05-01-2005, 10:41 AM
So are you installing this from scratch?? I mean there has been no other aftermarket install in this car before this one you're about to do??

eric77
05-01-2005, 12:22 PM
So are you installing this from scratch?? I mean there has been no other aftermarket install in this car before this one you're about to do??
nope

Why do you ask? Am I in for a fun install ;)

adam71
05-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Well of course you are. Putting an aftermarket system in a car that has never seen one are the funnest of them all. Its more work since you have to make a virgin power run to the trunk and drill a hole in the firewall but hell thats half the fun. Hardest part is finding good speaker placement without driving yourself nuts. Hope you have all the right tools you need. Do yourself a favor, keep everything as organized as possible. I learned that lesson the hard way 15 yrs ago when I misplaced a bunch of screws and brackets. Have fun you lucky bastid. :cool: :D :)

eric77
05-02-2005, 12:32 AM
Well of course you are. Putting an aftermarket system in a car that has never seen one are the funnest of them all. Its more work since you have to make a virgin power run to the trunk and drill a hole in the firewall but hell thats half the fun. Hardest part is finding good speaker placement without driving yourself nuts. Hope you have all the right tools you need. Do yourself a favor, keep everything as organized as possible. I learned that lesson the hard way 15 yrs ago when I misplaced a bunch of screws and brackets. Have fun you lucky bastid. :cool: :D :)
I've actualy got a 4 awg power wire already run but with the addition of 2 amps i decided to step up to 1 ott. Now I have to rerun my power wire, install a distro block, make two runs of speaker wire to each side, find placement for tweeters, figure out how to install them, deaden the doors, make mdf rings, ground both the new amps, upgrade my battery, do the big 3, run new rca's to the coustic, run rcas from the coustic to the amps, and figure out where the hell to cross everything over. Should be a blast :D