PDA

View Full Version : RE XXX or Koda 6s

impalafan95
04-24-2005, 11:25 PM
Hi, I just bought 2 18" Treo CSX, which are going to be extremely loud. I am going to be running 2 sets of components to try to keep up with the subs. My question is what will get louder the XXX midbass or Koda 6s? I assume the XXX will get louder, but by how much because I can buy a new pair of the kodas for 125 and its local, and get another pair later. Is the XXX worth the extra money. Also how loud will the RE RE comps get?

Thanks, Evan

squeak9798
04-25-2005, 12:42 AM
XXX mids have atleast twice the displacement (so, in theory, they have the ability to be atleast 3db louder), and from the reviews I've read their midrange tonality/accuracy is pretty killer.

I honestly would go with the XXX mids. You're going to need every last ounce of midbass/midrange output you can get to match up with a pair of 18's. It also would be wise to go with horns if possible....tweeters are going to have a hard time matching dual 18's in output aswell.

phluser
04-25-2005, 12:51 AM
XXX mids have atleast twice the displacement (so, in theory, they have the ability to be atleast 3db louder), and from the reviews I've read their midrange tonality/accuracy is pretty killer.

I honestly would go with the XXX mids. You're going to need every last ounce of midbass/midrange output you can get to match up with a pair of 18's. It also would be wise to go with horns if possible....tweeters are going to have a hard time matching dual 18's in output aswell.

which do you think would rule more dual xxx 6.5's and horns or idq8's and horns- you chose

squeak9798
04-25-2005, 12:54 AM
which do you think would rule more dual xxx 6.5's and horns or idq8's and horns- you chose

Depends :p: For simplicity, the horns and 8's would be best. But, if done right, IMHO dual XXX's would walk all over the IDQ8's in output and clean midrange. However, doing dual mids is pretty tricky to get right, and if done wrong the 8's would kill them...........

vosschs
04-25-2005, 12:54 AM
lol

phluser
04-25-2005, 12:56 AM
lol

you must have alot of time on your hands!!!!! i was trying to be funny with that pyramid amp-

freshbondoscent
04-25-2005, 01:19 AM
for simplicity though the idq8 is alot more forgiving than the xxx as far as installation. doesnt the xxx need specific sized enclosures?

squeak9798
04-25-2005, 10:40 AM
for simplicity though the idq8 is alot more forgiving than the xxx as far as installation. doesnt the xxx need specific sized enclosures?

No....RE tweaked them a bit for better IB performance. But, the IDQ8's will still be more forgiving of the install........dual mids can be hard to get right.

HERETIC
04-25-2005, 02:41 PM
koda extremis

impalafan95
04-25-2005, 04:32 PM
I am interested in the IDQ 8's, but will they keep up with the 2 18s? I am considering a pair of 8s and horns instead of 2 pair of XXX mids and 2 sets of tweeters. Would that work good? I may only go with 1 18, becasue a friend of mine keeps trying to talk me into selling him the other 18, but I'm still probably doing both.

HERETIC
04-25-2005, 04:34 PM
idq8's- good choice

impalafan95
04-25-2005, 05:27 PM
idq8's- good choice
Do you know anywhere I can find them, because I can find them anywhere... I don't guess Image dynamics still makes them.

HERETIC
04-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Do you know anywhere I can find them, because I can find them anywhere... I don't guess Image dynamics still makes them.

image dynamics is gonna intoduce a new line soon(june-september) if you cant wait you can go to ebay. i see them on there some times

squeak9798
04-25-2005, 05:32 PM
IDQ8's are no longer in production. You have to find them used somewhere. And I wouldn't be too optimistic about any "new" releases from ID. They are VERY slow at releasing new products. I mean VERY, VERY slow.

There are no Koda Extremis...they are simply the Extremis 6.8 ;)

Like I said....if DONE RIGHT, the dual XXX mids definitely have the potential to be awesome and pretty much slaughter the IDQ8's. However, if done wrong....well, a set of about anything would walk all over them. Just depends on how confident you are in your skills. Koda 8's would likely work well also, and have much more displacement than the IDQ8's. Not sure about SQ differences though.

And yes, horns are a MUCH better idea than dual tweeters ;)

HeatSeeker
06-28-2005, 02:41 AM
IDQ8's are no longer in production. You have to find them used somewhere. And I wouldn't be too optimistic about any "new" releases from ID. They are VERY slow at releasing new products. I mean VERY, VERY slow.

There are no Koda Extremis...they are simply the Extremis 6.8 ;)

Like I said....if DONE RIGHT, the dual XXX mids definitely have the potential to be awesome and pretty much slaughter the IDQ8's. However, if done wrong....well, a set of about anything would walk all over them. Just depends on how confident you are in your skills. Koda 8's would likely work well also, and have much more displacement than the IDQ8's. Not sure about SQ differences though.

And yes, horns are a MUCH better idea than dual tweeters ;)

So what kind of things do you need to keep in mind when setting up dual mids? just wondering since I'm considering going dual XXX's in each door...

EDIT: oops, sorry didn't realize this thread was 2 months old ;[