PDA

View Full Version : Ditching Focals

SirSyko
04-21-2005, 03:46 PM
I currnetly have the Focal Access 165A in my front doors and I want something else. They sound OK but I really crave for something more. They do not get loud enough for me especially in the midbass department, Im afraid to blow the woofers. Also, Lately I have really been paying attention to their sound and they seem to miss a lot of detail. I have some pretty nice old computer speakers set up in my room and when ever I listen to my music there I hear sounds that I never noticed in my focals.

I am really looking into the Diamond S600 (HEX). But I have read their midbass lacks and I dont know if my amp will be enough for them.

I also looked at the RE RE comps but dont know if it will be much of a difference and if they will get loud enough for me.

Looked into XXX comps but probably too spendy (300 is my limit) and wont fit in my next camaro.

I listen to only rock so either metal or silk tweeters would be fine. I dont know what else to look at, it all seems too expensive. Ive listened to all of the alpines and some of the JLs and didnt like them. I pretty much heard all of the store brands(kicker, MTX, etc..) and didnt like those either.

Please point me in the right direction for something under 300. I want to be able to hear the bass guitar.

limitkid7
04-21-2005, 04:33 PM
what's that pg rated @ 4ohms? and is this the amp you'll use to power the front components?

smallchou
04-21-2005, 04:42 PM
i have the diamond audios that you're talking about, silk tweeter versions. i mostly got them because of the shallow depth in the woofers (not a lot to work with on my car) and i had heard good things about them.

i'm powering them with about 150W to each side and it sounds pretty nice, though i don't know how it is with less power. you're right, the mids can be lacking at times. maybe the shallowness is a factor (?). i really like the tweeters though. don't really feel like i miss much detail in the highs or mids, but then again how would i know if i'm missing it :) ? in general i like them, but don't LOVE them.

many people seem to hate their sound much more than i do.

my $.02 is that you can probably find better for the same price.

SirSyko
04-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Yes I will be using the tantrum amp. Its rated at 70 watts per channel at 4 ohms.

So then what can I get that is nice than the Hexs for 300?

Expy2000
04-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Well move up the lines in the Focal series..

Maybe 165 V2's or possible a set of DLS UR5 or UR6.. tho those are cutting it close..

:)

SirSyko
04-21-2005, 05:07 PM
DLS UR6 and UR6S are the ones I would be looking at. But what are the prices and where to get them?

Johnny Drama
04-21-2005, 05:10 PM
I was going to suggest the CDT HD-62 set, but I dont think that you would be happy with 70 watts on them. If you had more power say, 150-200 per side I'd go for the HD's. Djdilliodon sells them for around your price range.

SirSyko
04-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Hmm. You know what, Id rather be able to turn them up all the way and not ruin them. Because obviously my focals cant handle 70 watts. Also Im not keeping this amp forever. I got it for cheap and may sell it on ebay later on. I know CDT is a good brand but how is this particular model with midbass in a stock door? Can you give me an exact price and how to get ahold of this guy.

Im going to go to Magnolia Hi Fi right now and check out their Diamond comps. Who knows, maybe I might even like their cheaper models. I am also going to stop by the other car audio shops and see what they have. Otherwise, any other suggestions would be great.

Johnny Drama
04-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Djdilliodon
islandsound1@yahoo.com
AIM: djdilliodon

I have the HDs in my stock doors, mid bass is great in a IB setup, gets even better if you can make or buy baffles. With 150 rms to each side they get very loud and stay very clean. I love the 1" silk tweets.
I cant tell you exactly how much because the set I bought is the '04 model, they may have gone up. Just contact him and talk to him he is a great guy and has lots for feedback on this forum.

Cheap baffles. add polyfill and your set
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=1582&cat=0&page=1

SirSyko
04-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Hey thanks so much dude, you are very helpful. Im going to buy the baffles for sure, no one even told me about those. About the polyfill, how much do I stick in there?

Johnny Drama
04-21-2005, 06:01 PM
A good handfull will work. Use your best judgement, do not over pack them, you can get the fiber stuck in the coil and cause damage. Like I said a good handfull in each will work fine.

Ignatowski
04-21-2005, 06:09 PM
DO BAFFLES MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE?
I was thinking of added them to my HEXs - will they improve?

Johnny Drama
04-21-2005, 06:13 PM
DO BAFFLES MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE?
I was thinking of added them to my HEXs - will they improve?

Is your subwoofer in a box? or do you run it free air?

Some brainds work in a IB setup, but the box (baffle) allows for a deeper mid-bass.

jujumantb
04-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Any decent set of 6 1/2 components have potential to have plenty of midbass, its just that midbass is EXTREMELY install depedent. It like if you just set a JLw3 in your trunk with no box, then complain it doesnt have enough bass and upgrade to a W7, guess what, still wont have bass. You need to put work into your door to seperate the front and rear waves and I guarantee you will be much happier with those speakers.

cdj
04-21-2005, 06:50 PM
DLS UR6 and UR6S are the ones I would be looking at. But what are the prices and where to get them?

The DLS speakers are very nice. The set that might be close to what you are looking for would be the Reference Magnesiums:

http://www.dls-america.com/Magnesium.htm

http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=DLSMS6

There are also some dealers on the forums if your interested.

I sent you a PM on a source for some Rainbow speakers that might be worth considering.

Ignatowski
04-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Is your subwoofer in a box? or do you run it free air?

Some brainds work in a IB setup, but the box (baffle) allows for a deeper mid-bass.

my subs are sealed Y?

SirSyko
04-22-2005, 04:27 AM
CDJ I sent you a pm about the rainbows.

SirSyko
04-22-2005, 04:32 AM
I checked out a few comps today. I listened to Focal Utopia 165W and a model below them. The both sounded very similar to mine except got waayy louder with the same power to them as Im giving. Then I went to another place and tried out the Diamond 600s. I liked the sound of these better than the $850 Utopias but the midbass was just as described, lacking. I tried turning it up on the HU but it ended up being to much for the diamonds. If I had to choose between these brands I would get the Diamonds.
Im looking into the rainbows at this time.

newb
04-22-2005, 04:44 AM
my hex's are in a baffle. The midbass is really good. Although I havnt really heard any other setup with good midbass, I consider mine very good.

limitkid7
04-22-2005, 08:06 PM
get something that is sufficient enough for hte amp meaning w/in the power range of hte amp's rms...
you said 70 watts so look at
alpine type r
infinity kappa
cdt cl's
crystal

i'm suprised that the speakers you have aren't holding up.... you really might need to look into upgrading your amp OR letting someone else take a look at your system and maybe can help you tune it better

SirSyko
04-22-2005, 08:59 PM
No the speakers hold up fine. I think they do quite well for their price ($150). But specifically for me they simply arent loud enough.

Berry47
04-22-2005, 10:34 PM
I'm running my HD-62cf's off of 75 watts (underrated) and they sound amazing.

Today yes today i went and bought some baffles for the second time (I threw my first ones away when I put the daytons in the doors) and I will say that they made a huge difference in the overall tonal quality of my speakers. I cut a hole in the bottom of the bafles to allow air to freely move while still separating the front and back waves as well as providing an adequate amount of air pressure on the back of speakers increasing thier overall accuracy.

2kchevy06civic
04-22-2005, 10:49 PM
I too have focal 165A's and yes they do lack in midbass as far as rap goes. I think they sound very good for rock and metal music. But how something sounds is different to everyone. My focals get loud enough for me when I want them to and I'm only giving them 60 watts. I am going to upgrade to Iridiums soon but going to use baffles this time, hopefully it will have more midbass and not be so harsh(I think the sound is harsh) this time.

2kchevy06civic
04-23-2005, 02:50 PM
:crap: :crap: :crap: :crap:

stillfeelme
04-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Djdilliodon
islandsound1@yahoo.com
AIM: djdilliodon

I have the HDs in my stock doors, mid bass is great in a IB setup, gets even better if you can make or buy baffles. With 150 rms to each side they get very loud and stay very clean. I love the 1" silk tweets.
I cant tell you exactly how much because the set I bought is the '04 model, they may have gone up. Just contact him and talk to him he is a great guy and has lots for feedback on this forum.

Cheap baffles. add polyfill and your set
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=1582&cat=0&page=1

jntar,

Would you still need to use a sound deadner with the baffle and polyfill? Or would the baffle and polyfill be enough?

kronik
04-25-2005, 12:42 AM
jntar,

Would you still need to use a sound deadner with the baffle and polyfill? Or would the baffle and polyfill be enough?

Yes. The speaker produces sound with or without the baffle. The door will vibrate whether or not the midbass is tighter. Deaden the door, you'll be happy you did.

Johnny Drama
04-25-2005, 01:32 AM
Yes. The speaker produces sound with or without the baffle. The door will vibrate whether or not the midbass is tighter. Deaden the door, you'll be happy you did.

Uhhhhhhh.......yeah x2 :D

limitkid7
04-28-2005, 12:10 AM
i'll buy them focals you're selling the 165v2's right?

limitkid7
04-28-2005, 12:10 AM
or **** we could trade too