PDA

View Full Version : need some help with these components i got...

electronicsgeek
04-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Ok i just took these components off my old home stereo...the tweeter and midrange...and i was wondering if i could hook them up in my car...would i need an amp? this is just for temporary b/c rite now when i turn the volume up my speakers start to pop...i would just like to replace them with these components i have...
Specs on them are:AKAI 8ohm

im goin to get some real, new components once i get my real car this summer...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/Pinakin87/4343582_16005406_0.jpg
midrange
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/Pinakin87/4343197_16004092_0.jpg
tweeter
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/Pinakin87/4342942_16003196_0.jpg

squeak9798
04-21-2005, 01:19 PM
Well, you'd need a way to cross them over.

www.partsexpress.com sells passive crossovers. You'd want a 2-way passive xover. I believe all the passives PE sells are setup for 8ohm speakers, so you should be good there.

That, IMO, would be the best way to go if you were absolutely set on running those in your car till summer.

And you would very likely need an amp. I don't think your HU running @ 8ohms would supply enough power to make you happy.

electronicsgeek
04-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Well, you'd need a way to cross them over.

www.partsexpress.com sells passive crossovers. You'd want a 2-way passive xover. I believe all the passives PE sells are setup for 8ohm speakers, so you should be good there.

That, IMO, would be the best way to go if you were absolutely set on running those in your car till summer.

And you would very likely need an amp. I don't think your HU running @ 8ohms would supply enough power to make you happy.
couldnt i just the xover on the amp if i got one?

squeak9798
04-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Maybe, maybe not. #1, that would require you to get a 4-channel amp. #2, you'd need to be able to achieve the proper xover points (i.e. highpass the tweeters are a high enough xover point, and you need the ability to bandpass the mids at the appropriate xover points).

electronicsgeek
04-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Maybe, maybe not. #1, that would require you to get a 4-channel amp. #2, you'd need to be able to achieve the proper xover points (i.e. highpass the tweeters are a high enough xover point, and you need the ability to bandpass the mids at the appropriate xover points).
couldnt i just use a 2 channel amp? and im not trying to get the best possible SQL...i just wanna get some decent sound w/o poping when i turn it up...

im looking at the eD amp...would that suit these comps?9.4? or 9.2?

freshbondoscent
04-21-2005, 06:59 PM
thats why they pop because of the x over or lack there of with too much power

squeak9798
04-21-2005, 07:03 PM
couldnt i just use a 2 channel amp?

Yes you can....but only if you use a passive crossover with them ;) Otherwise you need to use a 4-channel amp and cross them over actively (expensive).

Those passive xovers at PE are only like $20 buck a pop or something. Check them out.

and im not trying to get the best possible SQL...i just wanna get some decent sound w/o poping when i turn it up...

As was said....they are likely popping because of the lack of crossover.

electronicsgeek
04-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Yes you can....but only if you use a passive crossover with them ;) Otherwise you need to use a 4-channel amp and cross them over actively (expensive).

Those passive xovers at PE are only like $20 buck a pop or something. Check them out.

As was said....they are likely popping because of the lack of crossover.
oh so if i just got a passive xover with the stock speakers they wont pop anymore?

electronicsgeek
04-22-2005, 12:58 PM
*bump*