PDA

View Full Version : Help with XXX6.5's

jiggyman
04-20-2005, 11:29 AM
I know because tweeters are generally gonna be 4 ohms and these speakers are 2, that I can't just use a single amp right? I heard I need 1 for tweets and 1 for speakers correct? I'm just wondering if I could get some help to make this all work. I've never really understood how the whole crossover thing will work either. Can anyone recommed me some options to get this up and running?

Amp(s)?
Tweets?
Xover? or will an amp have one?
I have an alpine 9831 hu

I'm gonna use the speakers for midrange and midbass, with no rearfill.
So after I get this done, i'll be rdy to get my stuff installed, so help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not looking for the highest quality amps, but not **** either, but something that will get the job done.

Thanks a lot

squeak9798
04-20-2005, 11:41 AM
I know because tweeters are generally gonna be 4 ohms and these speakers are 2, that I can't just use a single amp right? I heard I need 1 for tweets and 1 for speakers correct?

Ok, the reason you can't use a single 2-channel amp to power them has nothing to do with their impedences. It's because you do not have a passive crossover for them. In which case, you need to run an active crossover setup, which would require you have one channel per speaker (i.e. you'd need a 4-channel amp or two 2-channel amps so that each speaker could be on it's own dedicated channel).

So, you need to get a nice quality 4-channel amp that puts out the power you need into each impedence. You will also need an active crossover that has a built in bandpass crossover. For this, I'd recommend the Coustic XM6...not too expensive, and a great unit for it's price.

You run the front RCA outputs on the HU to the inputs on the active xover. You then wire one speaker to each channel of the amp (i.e. one tweeter to one channel, one tweeter to another channel, one mid to the 3rd channel, and the other mid to the last channel), and run the RCA outputs from the active xover to the appropriate inputs on the amplifier (i.e. the highpass outputs from the xover to the inputs on the amp tweeter's channels, bandpass outputs from the xover to the inputs on the amp for the mid's channels).

Now, you need to be very careful when using an active xover. It is possible to choose an inappropriate crossover point for a speaker, which could possibly damage the speaker. If you do not feel comfortable setting up the active crossover and crossover points, have a local professional aid you.

jiggyman
04-21-2005, 02:46 PM
alright cool, thanks alot man, i know i've talked to you about this before