PDA

View Full Version : new subwoofer

PV Audio
04-19-2005, 11:53 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-490

i think i may get 2 of those to use with my PE 250 watt amp. i would put it in a "dipole" setup (sub on either side of the right angle) with the amp on the top of the box. what i need from u all is how big do u think i'd want it to be for an average bedroom? nothing large, but not small. however, it has a HIGH ceiling on one part, then slopes down to be at about normal "story" height. what size box and tuning do you think would be appropriate for 2 of these babies? :up2somet: :up2somet:

JimJ
04-21-2005, 01:26 AM
Any particular reason you want to go dipole?

Other than the bidirectional pattern you get with it, there aren't a whole lot of benefits.

Neostar63
04-21-2005, 01:55 AM
Just make is down fire and it will work well for you. I agree with frost the dipole is not going to be all that great for you.

JimJ
04-21-2005, 02:23 AM
(sub on either side of the right angle)

I'm a little confused by this...

When you have a dipole setup, you simply have one driver in an open baffle - the front and back waves are allowed to mingle, but you control the woofer by the baffle size. Because of the mixture of front/rear waves, you lose 6dB/octave in frequency response, plus whatever you lose from the new pattern.

Two drivers front to front would be a clamshell isobaric, a completely different game...

PV Audio
04-21-2005, 07:41 PM
I'm a little confused by this...

When you have a dipole setup, you simply have one driver in an open baffle - the front and back waves are allowed to mingle, but you control the woofer by the baffle size. Because of the mixture of front/rear waves, you lose 6dB/octave in frequency response, plus whatever you lose from the new pattern.

Two drivers front to front would be a clamshell isobaric, a completely different game...
yeah i got a lil confused with the definition of dipolar. its really just a sub box with a sub on either side of a right angle. AKA, you put it in a corner and facing the wall, theres a sub facing u and a sub on the right side. i dunno if i wanna go sealed or vented.....i did however buy some port tubes to fck around with :up2somet:

Ray21
04-22-2005, 01:22 AM
A single Dayton DVC would displace more than a pair of those and require a smaller enclosure...

PV Audio
04-22-2005, 05:03 PM
A single Dayton DVC would displace more than a pair of those and require a smaller enclosure...
perhaps you did not pass math class? i fail to see how two tens move less air than one 12...and i decided to just make the enclosure with one on top of the other (think JL fantom). will i have alot of canceling?

PV Audio
04-23-2005, 12:42 AM
ok, i got it all assembled. it looks fcking mean lol. its 4.7 cubes ported to 30 hz. wired in series-parallel so each sub is getting 90 watts, 80 is rms.

PV Audio
04-23-2005, 03:50 PM
ok so i went to fire it up, and the **** slams. the only problem is this. somehow, i decided to cut one panel 2 short so that i couldn't screw it in. i didn't think it'd be a problem, but it is now. that panel has the xmax of the subs lol. the bass is incredible, but the vibration is annoying as heck. what can i do to fix this? some braces perhaps? anything is helpful!

PV Audio
04-23-2005, 06:18 PM
ok nm, i went and bought some corner braces. that fixed the problem like none other. now when i listen to it, its like night and day. thanks for the suggestions, and here's to a newly completed lemans23 project :cheers:

Ray21
04-25-2005, 02:32 PM
perhaps you did not pass math class? i fail to see how two tens move less air than one 12...and i decided to just make the enclosure with one on top of the other (think JL fantom). will i have alot of canceling?

Two tens? Umm.... your link lead me to the 12" Dayton Shielded woofer with 7mm of Xmax. The DVC has 15.1mm of Xmax. Sure the two subs have more cone area, but the DVC will move more air overall.

PV Audio
04-25-2005, 05:40 PM
Two tens? Umm.... your link lead me to the 12" Dayton Shielded woofer with 7mm of Xmax. The DVC has 15.1mm of Xmax. Sure the two subs have more cone area, but the DVC will move more air overall.
;) i had changed my mind

Ray21
04-26-2005, 12:15 AM
;) i had changed my mind

Oh, OK... :rolleyes: