PDA

View Full Version : Car system in house....

acornstu
04-07-2005, 03:38 PM
I know you guys have heard this a million times..... i don't want to do it. i want to get a good home system. problem is that car audio just kicks so much more ***. i want to do this right and not "rig" it if at all possible. Can anyone help me figure out how to put car audio in my house?????? also would there be any way to hook it up to my in home stereo. maybe some rca-wire adaptors??

ok, kicker's website won't work, but i would like to get 2 12" new compvr's and a mono amp to mach them..... thanks

swimfreak26
04-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Car audio products react differently in home audio situations...the reason for cars being louder is cabin gain. Your best bet is to get a sub designed for HT use...then build yourself a ported enclosure tuned LOW...like 15-20Hz, which will emphasize the low end enough to make some impact.

I do find that home amps are more expensive too, but there is no real "non-jimmy-rigged" way to hook up a car amp inhouse. Check out the threads I've created and find the one with my dorm setup...that was just unsafe, but is one way you can do it.

JimJ
04-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Your best bet is to get a sub designed for HT use...

Most "car" subs are also home audio drivers...for example, the Shiva, Tempest, 13W7, etc, etc.

The enclosure is the biggest thing you should change going into the home.

req
04-07-2005, 04:49 PM
your biggest problem is getting a solid 12v~14v source that REPLENISHES itself and has more than 20 amps of current. you can get 5amp 12v power supplies on the internet for cheap, but they will power a single channel on a 4 channel amplifier if you understand that.

i got a 15 amp power supply from a computer that runs a pair of 8's @ 150w a piece and it hits pretty well for under $100. id suggest looking in to adires tempest, or shiva - or ascendant audio's atlas series.

imo - if you can afford it, get a 200~500w plate amp that is stable at 4ohms and use that. then there is no niggsta-riggin or anything. build the box big with a really low tuning (the atlas has a resonant frequency in the mid-teens, great for HT) and 200~300w will wang it in a big box.

theres LOTS of threads in here about this stuff, use the search button :)

Quart2000
04-13-2005, 01:31 AM
I know you guys have heard this a million times..... i don't want to do it.

You're right you DON'T want to do it, I know from experience. a while back I built a "car" home stereo for the fun of it once using multiple different setups with the many car stereo components I had laying around. I tried a few different setups and it wasn't worth the trouble. I've been into both car and home audio for over 15 years and the "car" home system didn't measure up, especially for the trouble I had to go through to "do it right". I had a couple friends at a stereo shop and we examined the power supply to their sound board , i ended up using 12 volt car batteries with 2, 1 farad caps and a DC converter to get a good solid power supply. I used 100% car audio parts from deck, EQ, amps, component speakers, and subwoofers, also all "car audio cables and wires"

It was a fun experiment, but the overall sound was nothing compared to a dedicated home stereo.

just my 2 cents, good luck if you decide to do it though.

:peace:

bean
04-13-2005, 10:19 AM
I have a 30 amp and a 50 amp DC power inverter to do this "right" anyone interested? PM me.

eddiem67
04-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Car audio should stay in car environment, buy home audio equipment for home audio, they are far superior than car audio anyway.

bean
04-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Car audio should stay in car environment, buy home audio equipment for home audio, they are far superior than car audio anyway.

agreed

JimJ
04-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Don't agree completely :)

The Shiva driver is an excellent example of something in common usage for both environments. It's all how you use it. 12VDC amplifiers in the home? OK, I agree there.

they are far superior than car audio anyway.

Yes and no.

B@SSAN8OR
04-13-2005, 09:39 PM
car audio is going to be of less quality for home audio.
the reason why a home audio system that is only maybe 500-1000 watts sounds soo good is that it doesnt have to cover up any other sounds.

in car audio you are automatically starting in a 60 db hole.
so you are trying to cover up the sound of your engine, the sound your tires make on the road, and other cars. which is about 60 db. if you are in a quiet room and then you hear 60 db it will be loud. so that is why you have to use so much more power in car audio.

with home audio you dont have to really worry about that your house is insulated and drowns out alot of normal noises. all home audio speakers are going to be 8 ohms some might be lower but you really dont see it.

with alot of high end speaker companys they only reguire about 100-200 of CLEAN power to make them sound awesome. that is also true with home audio subs. and you are working with something in a house and you dont have to really worry about things like resenant (sp?) freq of your car.

if you want you can do it you can use your car audio equipment in your house. but the main thing about home audio is the type of enclosure for what you are doing. it also depends on the type of setup you are doing either 5.1 6.1 or 7.1......
the best thing to do is have all of the same speakers to get the best sound out of it. i had the best system with a 7.1 system of all polk audio tower speakers that had 3 drivers in them. so he had 6 of the same tower speakers and a center channel that had the same divers in it but was not a tower.
then he had the top of the line polk audio sub that was a dual 12 rated at around 250 watts and he had neighbors complaing about the noise from over 100 feet away.

you will have alot cleaner sound from home audio designed speakers then you will car audio anyday of the week.

if you have ever been to ces you will notice that the home audio section is about 4 times as big as the car audio secting. home audio is alot more important than car audio.

alot of companys spend alot of money getting home audio speakers to sound there best. that is also why you can spend anywhere from 100-100,000 on speakers.

but if it works for you and your budget then go for it. your electrical bill might go up a bit though

pooksta
04-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Move your home theater to the garage or park your car in the living room. Just make sure you vent the exhaust outside so you don't die.

swimfreak26
04-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Most "car" subs are also home audio drivers...for example, the Shiva, Tempest, 13W7, etc, etc.

See, those are (excluding the W7) home audio drivers that happen to do well in car environments...much harder to make it work the other way around though...though it can be done and made to sound good.

JimJ
04-13-2005, 11:24 PM
all home audio speakers are going to be 8 ohms some might be lower but you really dont see it.

Still trying to figure out what this means...

you will have alot cleaner sound from home audio designed speakers then you will car audio anyday of the week.

Again, not always. Although you're right in saying that much more power is required, there's nothing that says car audio intrinsically has a "dirtier sound".

Wattage and quality are a different thing, yet you seem to equate one with the other.

Worlddre
04-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Well if anyone does try and do this i have a pair of ported boxes for 6.75 inch speakers that i built for my self but never used. PM me if interested

Bigrick31
04-24-2005, 12:31 AM
i had 2 gay 12s in a bandpass box in my room for a while. jut hooked them up to an old 300 watt home receiver that i picked up at a flea market for about $20 didnt sound to bad in my room.

Vega
04-25-2005, 08:23 PM
I hooked my TS-W2000SPL in a ported box to a home reciever that only puts out like 50W RMS the cone doesn't move that much but it shakes the whole house . I still can't figure out what my box is tuned to though. I hooked the same sub and box up to a more powerful reciever at a friends house and it really slams. The only problem I have is I can't figure out how to hook the sub up to the subwoofer pre out so I have to hook it up to the speaker terminals and it plays the words of the songs. So is there anyway to stop my sub from playing the words? Is there some type of program I can use to find out what my box is tuned to?

JimJ
04-25-2005, 08:25 PM
so I have to hook it up to the speaker terminals and it plays the words of the songs. So is there anyway to stop my sub from playing the words?

This is why you need some sort of crossover or external subwoofer amp to provide an Xover function.

cobra133
05-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Go buy some bass blockers and attatch them to your subs.

JimJ
05-02-2005, 06:00 PM
Yeah, those will help with the amplification problem :) :rolleyes: :uhoh:

You need some sort of external amp; no receiver that I know of out there will properly power a subwoofer directly.

If there is one out there, please, prove me wrong.

blade44
05-14-2005, 11:59 PM
Just get a pro audio amp or a plate amp designed for home subwooofer use. and yes a crossover is needed, and not just some crappy 6 db/oct bass blockers. You need a good passive x-over 24 db/oct recommended. You could also get a decent pro audio powered x-over for under $100. This is what I use in my house.

12v amps are not worthwile in your house. Bad idea. Not a DC supply out there under $500 that could run any decent amp.

JimJ
05-15-2005, 12:36 AM
You could also get a decent pro audio powered x-over for under $100.

x2. Rane AC22's or DBX 223's can be both picked up for 75 bones used, or a little over 100 NIB.

Not a DC supply out there under $500 that could run any decent amp.

Also x2. Unless you build it yourself, you're not going to find a 100A supply for under $300-400...the market for them simply isn't there as it is for 20-50A supplies.