PDA

View Full Version : quick powered 4 sound question

nismboy6986
04-07-2005, 12:05 PM
isn't the double shot just a dual sub vented box with a really wide port? Rangerman's box looks just like this. isn't the company owned by steve meade or something. also where can i find info on building snailshells/TL's thats straight to point, ie doesn't give a history lesson on the design.

JimJ
04-07-2005, 12:23 PM
It's a folded horn...although the exact design of theirs is a trade secret for them, going on Audio Asylum or other DIY speaker forums and doing some research should give you the knowledge you need to build your own folded horn or TL enclosure.

tRiGgEr
04-07-2005, 12:27 PM
It's not a folded horn. And they have no exact measurments. Each box is designed around what speakers are going to be placed in it. Steve Mead in no way owns any ownership with powered for sound. I do belive he moderates there forum though.

It is basically a box with a large port and a baffle at a slant behind the speakers. Supposed to have the SQ of a sealed box but the output of a ported box if not greater. Waste of money IMO. A proper ported box will do just as good.

Contact them for more info. They do have a email for that reason.

Raven
04-07-2005, 02:39 PM
A folded horn enclosure for a 12 can take up to 24 cubic feet of space.

From the sound of it, a "doubleshot" is just an ABC enclosure. Long story short: It's two enclosures divided at a 1/3 - 2/3 volume ratio ported to your sub's free air resonance frequency (?) and connected by a third port inside the box.

tRiGgEr
04-07-2005, 05:36 PM
A folded horn enclosure for a 12 can take up to 24 cubic feet of space.

From the sound of it, a "doubleshot" is just an ABC enclosure. Long story short: It's two enclosures divided at a 1/3 - 2/3 volume ratio ported to your sub's free air resonance frequency (?) and connected by a third port inside the box.

Nope ;)

There actually is no tunning frequency. Just call Powered4sound up and ask them about it. They give you some usefull info. They also build standard boxes.

nismboy6986
04-08-2005, 02:14 PM
oh so you tune a abc box to the free are rensonance frequency (fs i think) i thought you would tune to what you would for a ported box. i would love to build a ABC but there is know way that i can get one to fit for a avalanche because if i'm not mistaken the post on how to build one in the sounddomain.com forum said you should double the reccomended ported box volume when figuring out its total net volume. but i may buy a idq 12 for fun and design one for it since they need very little volume ported.

Raven
04-10-2005, 09:29 PM
An ABC box takes a LOT of space to build. I think is was Req who did an ABC for a Tang Band 8", and it along was 2.4 cubes gross. Think huge for a 12.

9512ds
04-10-2005, 09:37 PM
i have a powered4sound snail shell....the company is owned by john nolte and brian johnson.....steve meade is just a good friend. the boxes are built roughly around the ts parameters