PDA

View Full Version : is Acrylic a good material to build a sub box out of?

Pineapple
04-07-2005, 01:45 AM
my friend says acrylic is stronger than MDF, so would acrylic make a better box? assuming that it is airtight/ sealed correctly.

Black_Jesus
04-07-2005, 03:10 AM
make it 3/4" or thicker and ur fine

B@SSAN8OR
04-07-2005, 07:19 PM
if your in san jose go chek out guru electronics and he has alot of bobby gately boxes and you will be able to see the difference between the 2...... wood is going to be way cheaper but plexi is going to be stronger... will not warp or get wet and.. but it is alot more expensive.... so if your looking for something cool to show off go with plexi. but if you are under a strict budget go with wood....

if you are making it yourself i would not suggest it with plexi because of the fact, that is you mess it up or dont know what you are doing then you are wasting alot more money.

if it is wood you can fix your mistakes and you can learn from that.

hope it helps

Rawr-DQ
04-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Cutting plexi is a pain because the shavings will melt onto the sheet if the blade gets too hot. Gotta use some special blade or something, can't really remember...

B@SSAN8OR
04-10-2005, 08:40 PM
its a diamond cut blade i think.... we do it all the time and have no problems we also use a $5000 saw....

smurf
04-10-2005, 08:44 PM
I'd love to build my box out of plexi, but how much more expensive is it than wood exactly?