PDA

View Full Version : which is better. using terminals or running wire direct to sub?

Pineapple
04-07-2005, 12:43 AM
i notice in some sealed subs, people dont use terminals, they have a wire directly connected to the sub and running out of a little sealed hole.

my friend says it slighty better to have a direct wire because its a pure connection to the sub, it doesnt need to run through a terminal. there wouldnt be any noticeable differance with using a terminal right?

JimJ
04-07-2005, 01:07 AM
I use terminals...if you wire it correctly, there should be no difference.

nismboy6986
04-07-2005, 10:04 AM
only problem i see with running the wires direct is you end up using alot of goop to get a good seal becuse when you bend the wires you create a hole. it might help if you use a bit every so slightly larger than the wire or one the same size and "ream" the hole a bit.

Ignatowski
04-07-2005, 10:18 AM
I drilled a tiny hole just big enough for the (10GA) wires to pass through the MDF - keep it snug and it should work fine - no sealent ness

monte_carlo97
04-07-2005, 10:23 AM
i use terminal cups when the wires are running out of the box are going to be seen. Just a cleaner look IMO.

But when they are not going to be seen i get the drill and caulk gun out and make a hole and seal the ***** out of it.

They both are going to perform the same.

One just looks better than the other.

lotas
04-07-2005, 04:06 PM
i hate terminal cups, i wouldnt use them unless you really love the look of them, or you are building an enclosure for someone who wants them.

its just added time, wasted money. I mean you have to cut the hole for them, fit them, screw or liquid nail them, caulk them. then you have to deal with air leaks, and you have to solder or connect the wire from the sub to the inside of the terminal cups, i mean its just added work.

I think it would look cooler to have a sub box with nothing on the side, wire going out the back, then a sub box with terminal cups and wire coming out. personal opinion though.

HAVINGFUN
04-07-2005, 04:19 PM
I like them because they look better and you do not have to unhook wires from the amp everytime you want to screw with it. If they are good terminal cups they will not leak and they only cost like 3 or 4 bucks. I think people are just lazy and impatient. It is the same reason people do not carpet boxes, it is a pain in the arse but it looks better. If you are worried about air leaks just take a bunch of bondo and cover the inside of the box where the terminal cup is.

your mom goes to college