PDA

View Full Version : Resin and Plastic cups

XDrkmanX
04-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Is it normal for the plastic cup to start smoking and melting?

InhumanAcura
04-06-2005, 06:45 PM
yes...it'll get really hot as well, hot enough to burn you...

i use paper cups

saywhat?
04-06-2005, 06:48 PM
hahaha yah, the hardner makes a chemical reaction with the resin and makes it extremely hot, compared to what u would think. the resin will definately go through the cups. use little dixie's.

bcarpenterfhl
04-06-2005, 07:41 PM
u used way too much hardener i think. its pretty typical to use plastic cups, you just over hardened it.

InhumanAcura
04-06-2005, 07:54 PM
u used way too much hardener i think. its pretty typical to use plastic cups, you just over hardened it.

no, if you just pour resin in and let it sit there it will eat through the cup...

bcarpenterfhl
04-06-2005, 08:13 PM
no, if you just pour resin in and let it sit there it will eat through the cup...

hmm, i've used plastic cups may a time before for mixing resin and mekp, and have never had that problem. it just sits until it hardens.

CntInjaDisNinja
04-06-2005, 08:38 PM
I have always used plastic cups, never had a problem. I always doudble layer them just in case

XtrmAudioCncpts
04-06-2005, 09:32 PM
i use a plastic cup as well. the best thing about it is the ones that i use are flexible so i can reuse them and take the resin hardener combo out in the shape of a cup

bcarpenterfhl
04-06-2005, 09:37 PM
yea, i just think you two are over doing it with the hardener. anyone here ever make their resin combust by mixing too much hardener?

Buckshot
04-06-2005, 10:29 PM
yea, i just think you two are over doing it with the hardener. anyone here ever make their resin combust by mixing too much hardener?

Hehe, maybe! You can get **** to catch on fire with hot *** resin :up2somet: :laugh:

Magmanta
04-06-2005, 10:43 PM
yea ive used plastic cups before too. i only had one instance where the cup actually melted though, it might be the type of plastic the cup is made out of, i dunno. right now im using one of those dishwasher-safe tupperware bowls, and this works really good.

NeverEnuffBass
04-07-2005, 11:25 AM
***** when you don't realize that it will eat threw a plastic cup and let it sit there only to find it is all over your driveway....

XtrmAudioCncpts
04-07-2005, 12:00 PM
***** when you don't realize that it will eat threw a plastic cup and let it sit there only to find it is all over your driveway....
LOL :laugh:

monte_carlo97
04-07-2005, 12:14 PM
one time i used the bottom half of one of those 20 oz. gatorage bottles and the bottom got really hard an exploded. Scared the ***** out of me cause an air bubble got in there or something. All i know is i thought the roof was coming off my garage with the sound it made. Sounded like a d@mn bomb blew in my garage.

But as far as cups i also use the plastic cups and after a while they will melt through if you add to much hardner. so don't add as much or work quicker.

JAZN
04-07-2005, 12:18 PM
wow ive never had this problem before. although i use it up pretty quickly so maybe i havent left it in there long enough. sounds scary, so i guess i'll be using paper cups from now and and save the red cups for drinking :D

monte_carlo97
04-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Yea. I started using paper cups also for the very reason they like to melt.

XDrkmanX
04-07-2005, 09:25 PM
I'm having a problem with the base of my fiberglass mold not wanting to come off of my door.

I've heard people talking about releasing agents. Wd-40, Vaseline are a few I believe that were mentioned.

Do I spray the masking tape with WD-40 before apply the resin and fiberglass mat?

Or will my next thread be Resin and WD-40.....?

crhye250r
04-07-2005, 10:19 PM
I like aluminum foil and vaseline. Always worked well for me. As redneck as it sounds (Im a bit of a redneck, but hey, im from KY, im entitled. LOL) duct tape works pretty well also.

To the orginator of the thread...Take it easy on the hardener next time. Glass with too much hardener can tend to be brittle. Take er easy man.

NeverEnuffBass
04-08-2005, 11:33 AM
so i guess i'll be using paper cups from now and and save the red cups for drinking :D

x2. Beer pong anyone??? :D

monte_carlo97
04-08-2005, 11:41 AM
x2. Beer pong anyone??? :D
I am up for a few rounds

as far as fiberglass release from a mold i like to use aluminum foil and some petroulem jelly.

req
04-08-2005, 11:45 AM
resin is just like gasoliene, pour it on some materials and it will\can melt it. just the nature of the chemicals.

those red\white plastic cups (aka, party cups) melt really good with the resin i got... but meh, i resin up really quick. maybe ill venture to the store and get some plastic cups so that i can peel it off and reuse it.

as for mixing too much harnener, id suggest cutting back on that as well... it hardens up quicker, but it is also MUCH more brittle. so id be VERY careful about that whole ordeal.

XDrkmanX
04-08-2005, 01:28 PM
So I take it it's tape/aluminum foil, vaseline, resin?

InhumanAcura
04-08-2005, 04:32 PM

i say it'll eat through the cup w/o out hardener, then you say your using too much hardener..mmkay :confused:

bcarpenterfhl
04-08-2005, 04:36 PM
hmm...maybe its just different types of cups. i used ones from one of those alhamra water dispensors, and never had a problem.

crhye250r
04-08-2005, 05:35 PM
I agree with you it will melt through without the hardener. I was just advising the man that if he uses too much hardener, the fiberglass tends to become brittle. Just a little word of advice.

XDrkmanX
04-08-2005, 06:51 PM
So I take it it's tape/aluminum foil, vaseline, resin?

Yes/No

I could of used to much hardener.....it's 14 drops of hardener per 1 oz or resin if I remember correctly.

XDrkmanX
04-09-2005, 02:15 PM
What's the order?