PDA

View Full Version : glassing foam?

Insomniac119
04-06-2005, 02:49 PM
For the center concol I'm making, I tried wrapping fleece around it but all the weird angles and sharp corners made too many wrinkles. So I desided to fill it with expanding foam and carve the shap out of that.

So I'm asking if I can glass over the foam to fill in all of the little cracks and creveses, instead of using bondo. I'll prolly add one or two layers of fiberglass mat too. Think it could work?

XtrmAudioCncpts
04-06-2005, 02:55 PM
they make this stuff i dont knwo what its call that its kind of like bondo but its actually really thin fiberglass paste stuff. you can use that for little stuff or if you want to cover a larger area the have this stuff called kitty hair that works too

req
04-06-2005, 03:01 PM
just make your entire shape of foam, coat it with tape and foil, amybe some non-stick stuff

then fiberglass directly onto that. dont even waste your time with fleece. fleece is too thick for a center console anyway, use speaker grille cloth, or cheesecloth, and put fiberglass on top of that.

pictures are nessicary tho - i dont really understand you

Insomniac119
04-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Ok, I do have some pics so here yeah go.

This is what I tried wrapping fleece around. As you can see, it wasn't working real well becuase of all the sharp edges and corners.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/Insomniac119/cc1.jpg

So I got the great idea to fill it with foam. Heres what it looked like after one can.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/Insomniac119/cc2.jpg

And after a second can...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/Insomniac119/cc3.jpg

And thats where I'm at right now. I need to get some more foam to finish the job. Then I'll carve the shap I want and sand it smooth. I was just wondering if the foam wont work well with fiberglass, it looks like it could soak up all the resin like a sponge or something. But hopefully it wont.

BoomCrew
04-07-2005, 05:27 PM
i dont think it will soak it up, i used some of that stuff to fill up my rocker panels and then i bondo'd over it. and it didnt soak up andthing and the bondo stuck good. aslo Duraglass is good stuff to. it is a bondo/fiberglass mix

Moe Lester
04-07-2005, 05:44 PM
looks kinda like a brain with some stakes stuck in it lol.. cool idea, it should work fine.

smullen
04-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Holy crap, I thought you meant like buying a block(s) of sandable foam, putting them together and carving off till you had the shape you want, then apply fibermat and resin...

Also, I'd still use some fibermat or something... I don't think the resin is strong enough itself and will prolly crack, from the bass or leaning on it...

Insomniac119
04-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Holy crap, I thought you meant like buying a block(s) of sandable foam, putting them together and carving off till you had the shape you want, then apply fibermat and resin...

thats what i wanted to do but i couldn't find any.

smullen
04-07-2005, 11:28 PM
thats what i wanted to do but i couldn't find any.

Select Products

http://selectproducts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page29.html

Right coloum, third from the bottom....

bcarpenterfhl
04-07-2005, 11:40 PM
this is an uhhhhh...interesting idea (for lack of a better term). good luck. curious to see how it looks.

THUNDERBIRD
04-08-2005, 12:22 AM
yeah good luck and have fun cutting that stuff! interesting use of materials cardboard and a nail tray. nice

theCybe
04-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Jo-Ann fabrics, if you have one nearby, has 5" foam @ $30/sq'yd.

Insomniac119
04-08-2005, 05:15 PM
this is an uhhhhh...interesting idea (for lack of a better term). good luck. curious to see how it looks.

Yeah, I had to get pretty creative. There was this big space in between the seats and plenty of room on the floor for, the perfect place for a center concol. But there was none, so when I couldn't find the right size HU mounting kit I desided to make my own.

It took me forever to make the top part. I cut out cupholders from some plastic thing I bought at autozone. I used a nail tray, and my old HU mounting keep peice. Lots of bondo, kity hair, epoxy, cardboard, tape, etc. I'll put up all the pics when I'm done.