PDA

View Full Version : Building In-Trunk: Tips and Tricks

GCAdidas13
04-04-2005, 03:48 PM
^Title^

Procedures, hints, tips, tricks, it's all good here. Post your best ideas :)

Don't forget the AAA membership for your flat tire :D

tommyk90
04-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Put the box together outside of the car and predrill all of the screw holes.

I'll think of some more as a i remember old boxes i've done. :)

bonesninja
04-04-2005, 03:50 PM
well one of the easiest ways to get started is to make cardboard templates of what your trying to accomplish and put them in place to see if your going to like the way its shaped. always remember too that if you have to force the cardboard to fit then real wood is NEVER gonna fit.

ngsm13
04-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Well...to get every cubic inch possible...you could do a lot of stuff... :)

Hit me up on AIM, it's easier to talk...

NG

GCAdidas13
04-04-2005, 11:21 PM
Put the box together outside of the car and predrill all of the screw holes.

I'll think of some more as a i remember old boxes i've done. :)
So your bottom piece would be smaller, and be overlapped by the side pieces, so you can drill in from the sides, correct?

jellyfish420
04-04-2005, 11:43 PM
So your bottom piece would be smaller, and be overlapped by the side pieces, so you can drill in from the sides, correct?
plan ahead. some pieces might be easier to screw(by hand sometimes) from front or back. all depends on how tight of a space your working in. i put the glue on 1 piece outside of the car and waited a couple mins for it to get kinda sticky so when i put it in the car it didn't drip and run all over.

GCAdidas13
04-04-2005, 11:45 PM
plan ahead. some pieces might be easier to screw(by hand sometimes) from front or back. all depends on how tight of a space your working in. i put the glue on 1 piece outside of the car and waited a couple mins for it to get kinda sticky so when i put it in the car it didn't drip and run all over.
ooooooh jellyfish gotz the smartz :D

i figure you should be able to get the baffle, bottom piece, and rear piece assembled out-of-car, then push it in, and then mount the sides after that, then the top... but then the ports are difficult to do

bcarpenterfhl
04-04-2005, 11:53 PM
how the hell do you carpet in the trunk?

tommyk90
04-04-2005, 11:55 PM
how the hell do you carpet in the trunk?

It is possible, although it is a pain in the ***. :)

That is correct. I didn't do that on one of the boxes i've done in-trunk, and i kicked myself for it.

joeldirt
04-05-2005, 01:37 AM
I have said this more then once, and no one seems to be catching on and passing allong............ YOu can maximize the box in your trunk by buying one of these tools. You can make the walls as tall and as wide as your trunk will allow you to. since you are drilling your screws in from the inside of the box all the way arround. THIS WORKS BAD MOTHER F***ING ***! ! ! ! ! !

http://kregtool.com/pocket_hole_applications.asp

this is the best kit to buy if you plan on using it often. but you can buy the rocket jig too for much cheaper......

SOMEONE INVEST IN THIS TOOL AND PASS IT ALLONG PLEASE! ! !
http://kregtool.com/catalogbyprodid.asp?prodid=K2000-PP

singlesubsetup
04-16-2005, 12:19 AM

I spent a 2nd day and I'm soo glad I found this thread..... :crazy:

Can someone post a pic on how this looks exactly? I'm tryin to visualize this and am having a hard time... thanks

GCAdidas13
04-16-2005, 12:59 AM
yeah man, i'm still wondering.

if my port is vertical, what is the best way to attach the port piece?

lotas
04-16-2005, 02:02 AM
I spent a 2nd day and I'm soo glad I found this thread..... :crazy:

Can someone post a pic on how this looks exactly? I'm tryin to visualize this and am having a hard time... thanks
what its saying is if you want your box to be 16" long, you dont cut the bottom piece (and then, in turn, the top also) 16". you cut it 16" - (minus) 3/4" - 3/4" so you cut it 14.5". subtracting 3/4" twice is done to make up for the width of the 3/4" sides that will be added because the sides will be perpendicular to the end of the piece.

so it would look like this!

|_|

singlesubsetup
04-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Well I'm a complete putz and this is why I joined this forum... I'm sorry It's still not clear but I really wish someone could show us pics or links to sealing off the trunk of a car.... I have a project with an 18" that needs some help

GCAdidas13
04-17-2005, 03:09 PM
well if you want the whole trunk to count as airspace for your sub... what you have to do, is put down tape EVERYWHERE (every possible part of the trunk) and then fiberglass ALL of the tape. From there you can stretch fleece over other parts (the trunk opening to the cabin where you'll mount your 18" ring of MDF, and also the opening of the trunk)

singlesubsetup
04-17-2005, 04:03 PM
^^^ well not the whole trunk, a box will be built, in the trunk, but I was looking for ways to seal the front of the baffle (box) from the rest of the trunk, to eliminate cancelation

GCAdidas13
04-17-2005, 11:36 PM
ah, well i thought pretty well about this

i think the best bet is to situate the box as far forward as you can, and then glue some fleece to the baffle, leaving a lot of room on the outsides to stretch, then you can stretch the fleece to the edges of the trunk.

if temporary, you can use hot glue to glue the fleece to tape. if permanant, go ahead and glue right to the side wall or lip of the trunk-to-cabin hole.

after your glue all dries, pour resin and hardener all over all the fleece you just glassed. you might want to do both sides, but that's your call. from there, trim out your port(s) and mounting holes(s), and you're set.

if temporary, you should take the parts that are on the side wall and/or lip, and use a sort of temporary caulking (something that is not too adhesive) and make it air-tight.

any more questions, just ask :)

nismboy6986
04-18-2005, 12:03 PM
i think that really just depends on your box and car. that is a really good idea though. since i had to cut the pass through hole larger, i'm going to just make a 3 sided mdf structure that would connect to box go through the pass through and would be somehow connected to the pass through and expanding foam to fill in the gaps inbetween the passthrough. kind of like a funnel. the only flaw i see in your plan addidas is that fiberglass is brittle when its flat so you would have to build some type of frame to make it curvy

GCAdidas13
04-18-2005, 12:08 PM
well it's not exactly brittle when it's flat... it just takes more for it to become sturdy. i used five layers of 6oz fiberglass and it's rock solid, didn't bend at all.

fiberglass just flexes more when it's flat.