PDA

View Full Version : need help with door deadening

iceteebone
04-01-2005, 07:36 PM
ok i already deadend my door but it all fell off. so i'm starting over. i'm thinking of getting some edead v.1se and using up some of the secondskin sludge i have left over. what is the best way to deaden a door? since my deadening is falling off i obviously don't know how to do it right. i'm thinking for the door panel behind the speaker, i'll put 2 layers of sludge. it's hard for me to get mat back there so the sludge will be much easier. i'm also thinking i should put some of that acoustic foam behind the speaker. my biggest problem lies within the fact of how to i cover up the big spaces in the door to make it totally sealed off? i'm thinking 2 layers of edead, then a coat of sludge over that. so basically how do i cover up the spaces and does what i said i'm gonna do sound like it will work pretty good?

Kali77
04-01-2005, 08:10 PM
If you don't mind me asking what deadener is falling off? It would be good to know so know one else uses it. Two layers of edead and the sludge should do the trick. As far as covering the big holes just go over them with a big enough piece of the edead, unless I am mis-reading that question.

Kali

swaptrex
04-01-2005, 08:12 PM
yes i would also like to know what brand deadener...........

iceteebone
04-01-2005, 08:12 PM
If you don't mind me asking what deadener is falling off? It would be good to know so know one else uses it. Two layers of edead and the sludge should do the trick. As far as covering the big holes just go over them with a big enough piece of the edead, unless I am mis-reading that question.

Kali

i was using edead. maybe that's why it's so cheap. it seems weird to strecth it over the spaces and have the sticky side with nothing to stick it too. the spaces are like 1 foot by 1 foot.

squeak9798
04-01-2005, 08:18 PM
. the spaces are like 1 foot by 1 foot.

That's fine....just as long as there is space on each side to stick the sound deadening to. You want to get those holes covered up.

Also, did you clean the area well before you applied the deadening to the door? Because the inner door can get quite dirty, and if you don't clean it first (or don't wipe off the cleaning agent if you did clean it), then the deadener isn't going to stick well. Or if you left massive air bubbles in it, I can see the deadener gradually pulling itself off.

swaptrex
04-01-2005, 08:18 PM
was it regular e-dead or v1se??? :uhoh: this scares me, if it was able to fall off in michigan when it is only 40 degrees out than imagine in mid summer! i was getting ready to buy 120 sq ft off v1se, but i am questioning it now.

Kali77
04-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Yikes edead :( I just used v1se on my doors I hope I don't run into this problem. I did just buy some SS from the groupbuy though to go over it.

The size of the hole is irrelevant as long as you have space on each side to attach the mat to it should be fine.

Kali

iceteebone
04-01-2005, 08:23 PM
i did put it on in febuary when it was like high 30's. i probably left to much alcohol on it and probably not pressed it down good enough. i noticed that edead isn't as sticky as dynamat. i really liked using dynamat but it cost too much. so does 2 layers of sludge behind and some foam behind the spaker, then 2 layers of mat and 1 layer of sludge sound like a good plan?

iceteebone
04-01-2005, 08:36 PM
what do you guys think of this stuff http://fatmat.com/kits/door%20kit.htm..? seems like a pretty nice deal. has anybody ever ordered from them?

also how do i deaden around where the wires come out of my door? here is a pic of my door

http://img163.exs.cx/img163/1252/86n0412911273iu.jpg

nosaj070
04-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Get a heat gun, I can promise you ti won't budge after that...

mattmcss
04-01-2005, 08:41 PM

2nd that , edead isnt sticky at all when its cold , but heat that up and theres no way its coming off again

iceteebone
04-01-2005, 08:41 PM

do i get the sheet hot before i put it on, or do i put it on the door, then heat it, and press it down with a roller?

swaptrex
04-01-2005, 08:51 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but i think you heat it up before you put it on. this gets the tar sticky and makes it much easier to work with.

iceteebone
04-01-2005, 08:56 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but i think you heat it up before you put it on. this gets the tar sticky and makes it much easier to work with.

**** it i'll do both. i'll lite the **** on fire if i have to.

mattmcss
04-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Just heat the Edead up a little , dont get it smokin hot but hot enough so its flexible , than it will be stickin like Glue

iceteebone
04-02-2005, 08:29 PM
what do you guys think of fatmat? i went to order 20 sq. ft. of edead v.1 and they wanted $18 to ship it from iowa to michigan :rolleyes: fatmat.com has a speaker kit that comes with roller and all that good junk for $32 for 32 sq. ft. so i think i'll get. anybody use it? and has anybody dealt with fatmat.com?

cappy72
04-03-2005, 12:10 PM
you can get those rollers at homedepot or something....

use a heat gun.... I heated it a little and then I blasted it with heat as I used the roller... those things help very much

iceteebone
04-03-2005, 04:27 PM
you can get those rollers at homedepot or something....

use a heat gun.... I heated it a little and then I blasted it with heat as I used the roller... those things help very much

i know i can get the roller for $0.99 at walmart but the fatmat is still cheaper then the edead plus they give me a knife and all that crap.

iceteebone
04-03-2005, 06:18 PM
well i went and ripped of my deadener. i'm thinking i might just use mat were the openings are, and then sludge the rest. i can do about 3 layers of sludge per door. what do you think i should clean my door with?

http://img23.exs.cx/img23/5700/156n05431865ig.jpg

sephiroth619
04-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Is a blow dryer hot enough to heat the Deadener? I have the eDead V1se.

squeak9798
04-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Is a blow dryer hot enough to heat the Deadener? I have the eDead V1se.

That's what I use on my Raammat :D

GCAdidas13
04-04-2005, 09:34 AM
**** it i'll do both. i'll lite the **** on fire if i have to.
That made me LOL

I'm using version one Second Skin... it's been known to not hold very well...

I put it on about 9 months ago, and i have had no problems with anything coming off. Layer/two layers on doors, three layers in trunk, one layer on rear deck... all fine.

I used a heat gun. They get 10x hotter than heat guns, will do the job much better IMO. I tried using a hair dryer on mine and i ended up sitting there for a few minutes for each piece to get it to stick.

Grab a $25-30 heat gun from Home Depot or equivalent and apply like so: Cut a piece from your roll, heat it up in your hands lightly, then stick it on, then take your roller in your favored hand and the heat gun in your other, and heat the spot you are just about to roll down.

Then, when you're finished, you can always lend out your heat gun to friends for like $5/day until it's paid off :-)

iceteebone
04-04-2005, 10:32 AM
my uncle has a heat gun so i can use that. i decided to go ahead and order the fatmat. i know ED is gouging me with shipping. why does 20 sq. ft. of v.1 cost $18 to ship ups ground from iowa to michigan? anywho after looking at my door, there is a lot of crevasses which might cause air pockets in the mat so i think i'll just use mat over the spaces and sludge over everything. does that sound like it will work? this sludge is some thick ****.

UndercoverPunk
04-04-2005, 11:01 AM
or you could cut the mat so it goes into the crevaces... or fill them with sludge then put mat over that...

iceteebone
04-04-2005, 11:06 AM
or you could cut the mat so it goes into the crevaces... or fill them with sludge then put mat over that...

they are like little 1' round holes where there are bolts. i guess i'll just use mat where there are flat areas and just sludge the rest.

GCAdidas13
04-04-2005, 11:14 AM
well the thing with deadening is that the areas around bolts and stuff are already held still and won't vibrate... it's the bigger flexible panels that have no bolts around them that resonate. this is especially true with the rear deck.

so basically if you have a few air pockets around the bolts it's no big deal :)

ighettoboyi
04-05-2005, 12:14 AM
icetee, i use fatmat, worth every penny. i used a hairdryer so doing 50sq ft in the trunk took me about 8 **** hours. i covered as many of the holes as i could.

iceteebone
04-05-2005, 04:32 PM
icetee, i use fatmat, worth every penny. i used a hairdryer so doing 50sq ft in the trunk took me about 8 **** hours. i covered as many of the holes as i could.
i went ahead and ordered fatmat. i e-mailed ED and asked why their shipping is so god **** expensive and even put urgent on the e-mail and they still haven't replied. :(

coolman91985
04-06-2005, 10:00 AM
what do you guys think of this stuff http://fatmat.com/kits/door%20kit.htm..? seems like a pretty nice deal. has anybody ever ordered from them?

also how do i deaden around where the wires come out of my door? here is a pic of my door

http://img163.exs.cx/img163/1252/86n0412911273iu.jpg
i used that fatmat in my car for the trunk, doors and rear panel. it worked very well. it worth the money (i got like 100ft off evay for like $75 shipped). u should heat the stuff up before applying it so that it goes on easier and it makes it much easier to work with.