PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this?

marley1
03-30-2005, 01:22 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yd0t7xZtlx9/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=113KDCX789&g=62700&search=Kenwood+789

Its hte Kenwood Excelon 789. I have right now a 2003 Excelon and i love it.

Has everything i need. Sirius cap, aux in, mp3, 3 preouts, crossovers, and i just like the brand. Cost is about 200 shipped on ebay.

What do you guys think?

Spr0ket
04-07-2005, 02:24 AM
Go with the KDC-X889 if you are tweaker. The 789 is **** good, but does not have nearly the DSP settings of the 889.

Alpine2005
04-07-2005, 07:46 PM
yeah, go for it

i've seen the Kenwood KDC-MP628 at best buy. the new faceplate design looks nice.

i had an older kenwood excelon deck before and it sounded pretty good. Now i have a pioneer and it sounds cleaner but i think the new kenwood decks should sound better. the one you like has a 3-band parametric equalizer, my didn't have any equalizer

the only thing i didn't like about the kenwood is that it didn't pick up weak FM stations.

Spr0ket
04-08-2005, 01:45 AM
From Kansas City, MO, I'm picking up a small time radio station run by a college located just west of Columbia, MO. That's some seriously impressive distance on weak radio stations (two hour drive to the radio station). Then again, I've done some custom wiring but kept the OEM antenae. Personal opinion about the "Best Buy" line of HUs, they're horrid, you can find much better equipment for a cheaper price elsewhere. The Excelon line of Kenwoods offer some impressive imaging options, especially as you go up the line. I have had mine for about a month and I'm still finding new things that can be done. Cabin definition, freq cut off, rolloff db from 12 to 36, cabin placement, speaker set component type (front, rear, sub)... tons more. If you get the 889, you add things like SRS Wow effects, phase inversion on each speaker pair, speaker time correction, and loads of other options. I've left my equalizer completely flat and the quality of the audio is awesome. Man, then there's the navigation, loads better than previous years Kenwood 879 model. If you are going to go with Kenwood, start looking at the KDC-X589 as the very lowest model and go up from there. One of the best things about the new Kenwoods, no more 3D-Mask of death.

golfreak
04-08-2005, 05:11 AM
I agree 100%.
At first I was looking at the 589 for $160 shipped on Ebay.
Then I saw the 789 for $210 shipped.
- Color display
- 5v preouts instead of 4v
- Aux input added(very important to me)

I guess that was wroth an extra $50 to me.
I never thought to venture to the 889. I didn't research it to see if the 889 was worth the extra money.

The 889 is going for $285 shipped on Ebay....is it worth the extra $75 over the 789 ??