PDA

View Full Version : Can a port be outside the enclosure?

2wheeler
03-30-2005, 11:20 AM
I'm building a box that will be on the large side of the sealed specs for my sub (S8L7) and the small side of the ported specs. I want to play with the sealed vs. ported thing. I am planning on building a port that I can attach to the outside of the box, or plate off the port opening, so I can compare the sound quality and output and decide what I like. Is there any reason this wont work?

squeak9798
03-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Other than the fact that a small ported box may not give desireable results, but a larger ported box might :) If you are working on space restrictions, and that is the largest box you can fit, and you want to see the differences.....then yes, that will work. Just be sure that everything seals up air tight still.

GCAdidas13
03-30-2005, 11:24 AM
there are a few window sealants/caulkings that you'd want to use to airtight it all, that won't make everything stick together.

look for rope caulk or a can of removable window sealer

DFW40
03-30-2005, 11:27 AM
Small ported will not sound very good with that sub IMO so like was said before it will not be a very accurate example of how that sub sounds ported. You can try it but you will lose some low end and gain some peaky notes. My ladyfriend has the L5 8 inch sub in the largest rec. sealed and it sounds good.

2wheeler
03-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the replies, when ported the box will be right at the volume kicker lists as the small ported enclosure. I know I would get better sound with a bigger enclosure but this is all the space I have and this way I can play with different port lengths, sizes etc. and just remove it and seal the hole to have a sealed box. Part of the learning process for me, and it just seems kinda fun. Caulk rope is a good idea, should seal well and be removable for changes. What about the placement and direction of the exaust of a port? Is this critical?

req
03-30-2005, 12:16 PM
flip the box around and play with it.

got a pic of where this box is going?

2wheeler
03-30-2005, 01:38 PM
No pics, but easy to describe. Behind the back seat in a Toyota Tacoma Doublecab. Very limited space, wedge shaped box, firing into the seatback. I can build the port to exhaust many directions and locations. A straight port could vent on the other side of the truck, or a labrinth could vent right near the sub. Venting up, down, front or back is possible.