PDA

View Full Version : how do you water proof mdf

nismboy6986
03-30-2005, 11:01 AM
i was wondering how do you waterproof mdf. i got this leak in the trunk that i can't seem to completely fix. i got it to the point where the inside isn't noticably wet but i removed the enclosure and saw some "swelling" from water. i was thinking maybe some thompson's water sealer, then go over the enclosure with bedliner(since i want that finish anyway) i want make my next box water resistant until i get that leak all figured out. speaking of which is underconstruction now. i need to get off the computer and get back to work on it.

DFW40
03-30-2005, 11:12 AM
You could use some type of sealant/protectant. Look at this site

http://www.minwax.com/products/protective/index.cfm

tRiGgEr
03-30-2005, 11:35 AM
You could fix the leak and not worry about it. Or fiberglass resin the sucka.

req
03-30-2005, 11:35 AM
just get some fiberglass resin and hardener and paint it on the box. use some acetone and a paint roller.

mix the resin with some acetone in a plastic *disposable bucket* (will prolly ruin the bucket)

this will thin it up so its easy to paint.

then mix in some MKEP hardener (little tube of clear liquid) and mix per directions. (the BEFORE acetone amout of resin is what you measure for the mixing ratio)

then pour it in a disposable paint trey, and get a paint roller, soak it up, and roll it onto the box. soak it up nice and get it nice and covered. try to do it all in one sitting if you can (not the bottom) and DO NOT do it sitting on the ground. put it on a paint can so it dosnt stick to the ground :)

and id suggest some news paper underneath, resin is some nasty ****.

it will waterproof almost anything :)

2wheeler
03-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Paint it. 2 or 3 coats of exterior wood paint is cheap and easy.