PDA

View Full Version : how do you...?

bigdaddygb
03-30-2005, 09:19 AM
ok a couple of quick questions... ( I am new at this, but learning fast..) :help:

1. innie or outtie? what is the difference in the way the sub is mounted, in a box/enclosure, I mean weather it faces in or faces out?

2. How do you calculate the amount of RMS wattage needed in an amp to drive your subs? Do you add all the constant rms of your sub togather?, like if I have 4
1000 watt rms/max 2000 watt subs would I need 2x 2000 watt rms amps to drive them?

and lastly,

3. I know everyone has a favorite speaker/sub line. I am building up a '85 Dodge Ramcharger for myself/wife/son/show and will be installing subs, amps, receiver, dvd monitors and vcr/dvd players. I know a few guys go for pure power, I respect that, but I want it all. A complete package. I want power and clear sound. I have chosen a line I have heard good and bad about, but what company doesn't get bad reviews? I am going with Lanzars. I already have thier 6 1/2", 4" and boss tweeters. I know thier not top of the line but I am buying what I like and what looks good. They are from the heritage line. Really cool looking, nice grills.. ect...

Now I plan to run 2 pairs of thier 1000 watt rms/ 2000 watt max subs. I was wondering would a ported box with seperate ported chambers for each sub hit harder or a single elclosure with 2 subs facing in and 2 facing out?

Any helpful info greatly appreciated.

squeak9798
03-30-2005, 09:32 AM
1. innie or outtie? what is the difference in the way the sub is mounted, in a box/enclosure, I mean weather it faces in or faces out?

Audibly there is little difference.

The main difference is that, with the sub mounted "normal", the sub is displacing a certain volume of air within the box....so you need to make the box slightly bigger to account for this. You don't have this with inverted subs because the subs basket/magnet assembly is not in the box.

2. How do you calculate the amount of RMS wattage needed in an amp to drive your subs? Do you add all the constant rms of your sub togather?, like if I have 4
1000 watt rms/max 2000 watt subs would I need 2x 2000 watt rms amps to drive them?

Keep in mind, RMS is NOT a power requirement. If you have 4 1000w RMS subwoofers, you DO NOT need 4000w RMS to power them. RMS power is typically a thermal power handling figure. So, theoretically they should be able to thermally handle 4000w RMS.

But, mechanical power handling is box dependent. Put those 4 subs in a large sealed box, and it is doubtful that they will handle 4000w mechanically (i.e. you could physically damage them). 3000w or 2500w may be all that is needed to make them reach their full excursion.

Also keep in mind that it takes a rather large increase in power to notice a little audible increase in output. So, you don't have to give them exactly their RMS power. If you have a 500w RMS sub, 400w to it would not sound any different than 500w. It's very likely that 350w wouldn't sound much if any different than 500w to the sub. Plus, like I said earlier.....power handling is box dependent. In the right enclosure, 500w RMS may actually be too much power for the sub even though that's what it's RMS rating is.

but what company doesn't get bad reviews?

Every company gets bad reviews at some point or another. Nobodies perfect.

Now I plan to run 2 pairs of thier 1000 watt rms/ 2000 watt max subs. I was wondering would a ported box with seperate ported chambers for each sub hit harder or a single elclosure with 2 subs facing in and 2 facing out?

Should sound pretty much identical.

bigdaddygb
03-30-2005, 10:23 AM
thanks, very informative.