PDA

View Full Version : Box Bracing with L Brackets

kronik
03-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Was considering doing 2, maybe 4 of these, attached to the box and the frame of the car using sheet metal screws or something, to keep it from sliding around and whatnot.

Anyone got their box braced this way or have a better suggestion?

iceteebone
03-29-2005, 09:57 PM
i used 2x4's as beams inside the box.

kronik
03-29-2005, 09:58 PM
i used 2x4's as beams inside the box.

How would that help to stop it sliding around the trunk, didn't mean internal bracing.

xchaosx
03-30-2005, 09:25 AM
yea it works i've done it a few time a lag bolt though the inside of the box to the frame also works and looks better i done that a few times

iceteebone
03-30-2005, 09:37 AM
How would that help to stop it sliding around the trunk, didn't mean internal bracing.

my bad. i thought you were talking about internal bracing.

nismboy6986
03-30-2005, 09:40 AM
alot of people use the "sticky" part of velcro. i got a idea to use that and some skateboard griptape.

HAVINGFUN
03-30-2005, 10:18 AM

LOL.

I have used the bristly half of Velcro, try the idustrial strength type, this only works assuming you have carpet down in the trunk.
Bungee cords are rather bootleg but you can actually hide them pretty well if you want to. Some folks use zip ties and metal fasteners etc

kronik
03-30-2005, 01:32 PM
LOL.

I have used the bristly half of Velcro, try the idustrial strength type, this only works assuming you have carpet down in the trunk.
Bungee cords are rather bootleg but you can actually hide them pretty well if you want to. Some folks use zip ties and metal fasteners etc

I do have a carpet overlay (stock with the Camry) that I'll be putting back in once I've decided I'm done screwing around in my trunk. My concern is, if I attach the box to the carpet with Velcro, you don't think that the approximately 200 lbs would move the carpet around? :P 2 12" XXX's, an Orion 2500D, and a heavy *** 5.75 cu. ft enclosure.

HAVINGFUN
03-30-2005, 02:46 PM
There is a very good chance of that. You might have to velcro down the carpet pad to the metal trunk. There is nothing wrong with using L brackets and some metal screws to really hold that sucker down. Some people use a wedge type of contraption between the top of the box and the rear deck.

lotas
03-30-2005, 05:51 PM
i wouldnt use just velcro if i was you. Not only will bolting stop sliding but it will boost the security of your box. In my old setup i had my box bolted with L brackets from behind, so you couldnt tell where it was bolted. Pretty sneaky and would cause a thief some delay, but as always, if they really want it they will get it.