PDA

View Full Version : Crossover settings

dnosryd
03-29-2005, 05:27 PM
Okay have had the head unit in for a few days now and starting to really get into the functions and set my crossover to the fronts but am having a hard time figuring it all out and I have used the search function . It's all like a huge science project setting slopes and figuring out crossovers on the comps, head unit, and amps.

My question is if I use the head unit active crossover should I set the passive ones on the amp to flat or...? Or am I better off defeating the head unit and using the amps hp filters? Is 80 a good point to start hp'ing the comps up front, and where do I start hp'ing the ones in the back? What about slope, and where should I set that on the head unit?

Sorry for all the questions but I need to get this thing sounding decent. The comps up front distort so I'm sure the crossover needs tweaking for that. Any help in telling me a starting point for the crossover setting, and slope all around would be very much appreciated. Can't really pay for the info but anyone who helps if you ever have any questions on termites hit me up.

Head Unit: Alpine CDA-9855
Front: Boston Acoustics Pro50
Rear: Boston Acoustics SL80
Amp: Alpine MRV-F545
Sub: SI D2
Sub Amp: Concept CC-2002

squeak9798
03-29-2005, 09:36 PM
The hard part about this is that there is not set answer. It's basically just an "it depends" type of answer since the xover point and slope are going to be 100% install/setup dependent (if you searched, I'm sure you've seen that one hundred times by now).

I personally would use the HU's built in HPF, because the changes are within arms length....so there is no running back and forth to the trunk trying to change the settings.

80hz is a good place to start for both the front and the rear highpass filters. Turn your subs off, set the volume to the highest you'll ever listen to your stereo, and from there just start playin' with it till you find the setting that you think works best. Try decreasing the xover point while increasing the slope (with a lower xover point, you'll want a steeper slope). Try increasing the xover setting with a shallower slope. Try a "higher" xover point with a steeper slope. . Etc etc.

Just as a generality.....I probably won't take the highpass any lower than 50hz, and no higher than ~100 to 120hz. Not saying [i]nobody uses a HPF on their comps out of that range....that's sort of a general area to look for.

Can't really pay for the info but anyone who helps if you ever have any questions on termites hit me up.

LOL.......

dnosryd
03-30-2005, 12:05 PM
I personally would use the HU's built in HPF, because the changes are within arms length....so there is no running back and forth to the trunk trying to change the settings.

80hz is a good place to start for both the front and the rear highpass filters. Turn your subs off, set the volume to the highest you'll ever listen to your stereo, and from there just start playin' with it till you find the setting that you think works best. Try decreasing the xover point while increasing the slope (with a lower xover point, you'll want a steeper slope). Try increasing the xover setting with a shallower slope. Try a "higher" xover point with a steeper slope. [I wouldn't try a "lower" xover point with a shallower slope]. Etc etc.

Thanks for the help and exactly what I was lookng for. I'll set the amp to flat and tweak off the HU settings. Much appreciated!