PDA

View Full Version : How thick?

PhatalOne
03-29-2005, 07:34 AM
I'm currently specing out an enclosure that I will be the centerpiece of my car I intend to show and there is a certain piece of the sub box that I want to do in Lexan or Plexi. I've already got pricing info on Lexan so I'm not afraid of the cost. The only thing is that I do not want to spend money for a thicker piece than I need.

How thick should my plexi or Lexan sheet be so that I do not have any issues with my sub box? The current design spec is 3 eD 16 Ov.2's sealed so having a strong box is important. I can purchase Lexan up to .5" thick and Lexan would be my preferred material.

HAVINGFUN
03-29-2005, 09:20 AM
I have never worked with that stuff but if it is like plexi then I would go with .5 min. Also depends on how large the panels are, obviously if it is a 6 by 6 inch panel you can get away with thinner walls but if you have a wall that measures 2 feet by 4 feet you will need thicker walls or great bracing. Better to be safe than sorry.

PhatalOne
03-29-2005, 09:40 AM
the base panel I am thinking would be 24"x36" . I found some stuff called Polycast which I can get up to 1" thick and I think that is just another trade name for plexiglass but am not sure.

RCwhat
03-29-2005, 09:43 AM
check out sounddomain, they sell it in all sizes and thicknesses.