PDA

View Full Version : hooking subs to home receiver?

noob with an RS
03-29-2005, 04:33 AM
hey i'm getting my 12" idMAX v.3 D2 tomorrow but don't have a box or amp yet. can i hook it up to my sony HOME/RECEIVER? i would put the left channel wire to one voice coil and the right channel to the other.. but is it possible this could damage the sub???? i just cant wait to see it perform and probably wanna leave it hooked up to my home theatre which is hooked up to my computer.. until i get my ported box tuned at 28hz and a 1000-watt monoblock which im in store for. :greedy:

Decipha
03-29-2005, 04:45 AM
If you have a low pass filter with only bass going to the sub it shouldn't hurt it but if you have full range frequencies going to it then yes it can hurt the sub, either way if you don't have a box its going to sound like ****. You can do it but i wouldn't i would just wait to get the amp and box, a little patience never hurt any one.

"a little patience never hurt any one."

I hear some people get scared for life that way.

^^
scar not scare

squeak9798
03-29-2005, 09:35 AM
Well, if you just want to test it briefly, then that might work. Depends on if your Sony receiver is stable down to 2ohm/channel (a lot of HT gear is only stable down to 4ohm/channel). If it is stable to 2ohm/channel, then it would work. If it is only 4ohm/channel stable, then I wouldn't even chance it.

And, don't expect to be able to blast it. Subs don't need much power to reach their mechanical limits when free-air, so you run the risk of possibly damaging the sub (depending on how much power your receiver has).

qwerty778
03-29-2005, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't do it. The possibility of causing damage outweighs the benefit.

gargoyle
03-30-2005, 04:00 AM
Unless you have a high quality Sony piece of gear, such as an ES, then the higher you turn the volume on the receiver the higher (exponentially) you turn the distortion which in turn increases the chance of damaging your subwoofer. So, with that said, I would suggest the hard process of waiting to mess with your new toy.

filtor1
03-30-2005, 02:33 PM
I would advise against this. The subwoofer is designed for lower freqeuncies. Playing other freqeuncies through the driver can cause damage to the driver. If you were using an external amplifier with a highpass and subsonic filter, I would say go for it. Otherwise don't risk it.

JimJ
03-30-2005, 03:18 PM
He wasn't talking about playing higher frequencies through the sub, just using a home receiver to provide power to the sub. It won't harm the driver if the impedances are correct - he's actually more likely to cause damage to the receiver because of the low impedance load.

noob with an RS
03-31-2005, 02:43 AM
hey why does this thread which i created considered BUMPED and like.. not have an icon?

EDIT: Oh nevermind, i see that it was just moved to the home audio.video section. uhh sorry and thanks mods.

JimJ
03-31-2005, 09:59 AM
np :)

req
03-31-2005, 10:06 AM
He wasn't talking about playing higher frequencies through the sub, just using a home receiver to provide power to the sub. It won't harm the driver if the impedances are correct - he's actually more likely to cause damage to the receiver because of the low impedance load.

thats what i was gonna say.

that sub can take LOTS of power, even in free air. they have been used IB in quite a few installs ive seen. so i dont see that becomming a problem, i see the reciever being ran at 2 or 4 ohm and not being stable that low and you breaking it all or frying a channel.

just go test it in somone elses car or get a 9v battery and tap it to one of the coils and see if it moves. but thats not a goo way to 'test the coil' i suppose. it still could be broken.

filtor1
03-31-2005, 05:52 PM
I stand corrected.

eddiem67
04-13-2005, 01:55 PM
If this is two channel audio, go for it, home theater? absolutely not. Hope that sony can handle the impedance already mentioned

PV Audio
04-13-2005, 05:44 PM
no muertes el sub, sino el Sony.

JimJ
04-13-2005, 08:43 PM
If this is two channel audio, go for it, home theater? absolutely not.

How does that have anything to do with the lack of amplifier power and impedance mismatch :)