PDA

View Full Version : Location of dedicated midbass...

rollininstyle04
03-29-2005, 12:01 AM
I am thinking about getting a set of XXX mids as a dedicated midbass. My only question is does it matter where midbass speakers are placed? I dont think they will clear the window to put them in my rear doors (maybe with some serious spacers...) would I be able to put them in the trunk deck lid. I was thinking about doing a small sealed FG enclosure for the trunk lid. When the trunk is closed they would end up firing towards the trunk floor. Would this work or would I encounter problems with the sound???
Sorry if i sound like a complete n00b...
Thanks in advance
-Jordan

JAZN
03-29-2005, 12:03 AM
u want em up front somewhere. midbass is directional. maybe kicks if u can?

rollininstyle04
03-29-2005, 12:11 AM
u want em up front somewhere. midbass is directional. maybe kicks if u can?
Yea...i didnt really want to loose my dead pedal...I may be able to do a set of kicks though. Would that be the BEST location? If so, what would be the second best?

JAZN
03-29-2005, 01:34 AM
i was gonna do kicks too but found out i cant live without my dead pedal. second best place would be in the front doors i guess. if theyre too deep, make spacers till they fit. do ur front doors have OEM holes for speakers?

Berry47
03-29-2005, 01:38 AM
Another option would be to glass some new pods for the front doors...

audiolife
03-29-2005, 09:22 AM
I am thinking about getting a set of XXX mids as a dedicated midbass. My only question is does it matter where midbass speakers are placed? I dont think they will clear the window to put them in my rear doors (maybe with some serious spacers...) would I be able to put them in the trunk deck lid. I was thinking about doing a small sealed FG enclosure for the trunk lid. When the trunk is closed they would end up firing towards the trunk floor. Would this work or would I encounter problems with the sound???
Sorry if i sound like a complete n00b...
Thanks in advance
-Jordan
totally depends on x over points and slope. if not 200ish hz and under with at least an 18 db slope then rear deck is a bad idea. another draw back would be output vs the subs from the rear location.

squeak9798
03-29-2005, 09:41 AM
If you are running a 3-way comp set (which, it sounds like you may be since you said "dedicated midbass", which makes me think you may also have a dedicated midrange), then what is typically done is to have the midbass in doors (since midbass frequencies are less sensitive to aiming than midrange frequencies), and midrange and tweets in kicks. If this is just a 2-way setup, then either doors or kicks will do. If you do kicks, just be sure to give them enough airspace. Mids are just like subs....with inproper airspace, performance will suffer.

rollininstyle04
03-29-2005, 05:53 PM
If you are running a 3-way comp set (which, it sounds like you may be since you said "dedicated midbass", which makes me think you may also have a dedicated midrange), then what is typically done is to have the midbass in doors (since midbass frequencies are less sensitive to aiming than midrange frequencies), and midrange and tweets in kicks. If this is just a 2-way setup, then either doors or kicks will do. If you do kicks, just be sure to give them enough airspace. Mids are just like subs....with inproper airspace, performance will suffer.
I was thinking of doing it as a set of 2-way 6.5'' comps + the XXX mids, i guess that would be like a 3-way then. Use the 6.5 in the comps as the midrange and the XXX as the midbass, is that correct???

squeak9798
03-29-2005, 09:24 PM
Yup. Put the "midrange" 6.5's and tweets in kicks, and XXX mids in the doors.

rollininstyle04
03-30-2005, 12:46 AM
Yup. Put the "midrange" 6.5's and tweets in kicks, and XXX mids in the doors.
Cool thanks!!!