PDA

View Full Version : Painting, please help

daveshore9
03-27-2005, 09:10 PM
I have tried searching, and I can't seem to find what exactly I'm looking for. I was wondering if anyone knew of a site or a thread that gives a summary of all the steps needed to complete a nice, glassy looking paint job? Thanks.

joeldirt
03-27-2005, 09:40 PM
I don't know of any sites... hoiwever you can go to your local library and check out a book on auto body repair. It will tell you how to use your HVLP gun, what types of primers and paints, body filler usage methods etc.

I can also give you some tips if you want.

mobileaudio219
03-27-2005, 09:41 PM
What are you painting? If we knew maybe we could give you some step by step instructions... Remember, google is your friend...

daveshore9
03-27-2005, 09:46 PM
I will be painting just a few pieces. Two are some fiberglass plates I made that go where my 6x9's were in my rear deck and now hold a component system, and the other is my ashtray that I fiberglassed and "shaved" it. All of my other pieces were painted by a professional painter, but I don't really have any more money to take these there, so I just want to rattle can them; but I want them to turn out good.

joeldirt
03-27-2005, 11:06 PM
I will be painting just a few pieces. Two are some fiberglass plates I made that go where my 6x9's were in my rear deck and now hold a component system, and the other is my ashtray that I fiberglassed and "shaved" it. All of my other pieces were painted by a professional painter, but I don't really have any more money to take these there, so I just want to rattle can them; but I want them to turn out good.

if you hot glue the back sides of them to a pencil, you can stick the pencil into a piece of foam or what ever to prop them up. after you sand them completely baby butt smooth, prime them with some primer and use 400grit sand paper to sand them down you can even wet sand them for a perfect smoothnes. then go over your pieces with about 4-5 light coats keeping the can aproximately 8 to 10 inches away. let dry in between coats. it can turn out well with patience.

THUNDERBIRD
03-27-2005, 11:18 PM
dont let the paint dry u let it get tacky, thats what u do when u paint a car. u never let the paint dry on a car u let it flash for like 30 min then do another coat. same idea for fiberglass if u want it to turn out nice

Randy Savage
03-27-2005, 11:19 PM
sand sand sand sand!!!

joeldirt
03-27-2005, 11:21 PM
dont let the paint dry u let it get tacky, thats what u do when u paint a car. u never let the paint dry on a car u let it flash for like 30 min then do another coat. same idea for fiberglass if u want it to turn out nice

good call my bad. should have specified more clearly

jellyfish420
03-28-2005, 12:00 AM
sand sand sand sand!!!
then you wet sand;)