PDA

View Full Version : Computers VS HUs

Bigrick31
03-26-2005, 11:32 PM
Ive just hooked up my carputer and attached a Rca to headphone converter. and i was listening to some mp3 from the conputer in my car. all the while thinking Hmm this sounds pretty clean. so i put a cd in my cars HU and listen to a song then put the same cd in the carputer and listen to it. now it did sound better in my pioneer 6500 but the soundcard that is in the comp isnt spectacular or anything. im wondering if i were to get a pretty nice soundcard. with all the options available to you on a computer would a HU even have a chance. or even with a bad *** soundcard will a HU still sound better? if the computer will take the cake here ill just install an external cd drive in my dash and sell my pioneer. i already know a guy that will give me $150 for it.

Bigrick31
03-26-2005, 11:47 PM
ttttt

DoubleR
03-27-2005, 02:55 AM
Just get the Soundblaster Audigy ZS 2 its a real good souncard probably one of the best and its under 100$ at newegg.com. Or go to creative.com and get all the specs!!

Black_Jesus
03-27-2005, 03:15 AM
yea a top of the lien audigy 2 would probably hand all the headunits out there their ***...

Bigrick31
03-27-2005, 03:23 AM
nice. i think ill do it just to have something different. but ill just have to figure out how to hook up my amps and everything to a computer. and also add in some knobs for volume and such. i cant be messin with the computer controlls while im driving. anyone have any thoughts on that?

Black_Jesus
03-27-2005, 03:56 AM
the audigy has line level outputs.. some adapters at radioshack and ur good 2 go mayn!

DoubleR
03-27-2005, 03:57 AM
Go to mp3car.com they have all kinds of stuff about carputer's. Even a diagram of how to hook up multiple amps to a soundcard in the newbie forum IIRC. You know what since im feeling good tonight here you go http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32430 . And just get a wireless keyboard with a volume knob on it or something of that nature.

Randy Savage
03-27-2005, 04:10 AM
I think that phono connection could hinder the sound a wee bit...

AznRevlAzn
03-27-2005, 10:04 AM
well my favorite would have to be the Sound Blaster Extigy or Extigy 2. It's extrenal, easy to navigate th controls, you can even glass it on your dash.

Bigrick31
03-27-2005, 03:14 PM
the key board is a good idea. id like to find one thats smaller than normal and has a mouse pad built in (like laptops have) i think this should turn out pretty nice

DoubleR
03-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Newegg.com has all kinds of mini keyboards I dont know if any of them have any volume knobs but you could check them out.

Bigrick31
03-27-2005, 03:55 PM
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-102-181&depa=0

looks like this audigy 2 is better than the other ones. 7.1 surround sound.

anyone know about any eqs or somthing like it that i could adjust the volume of my speakers if all speakers were powered by an amp? because i found a keyboard that would work great but just dosnt have the volume controlls

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=23-166-005-01.JPG/23-166-005-02.JPG

Big and Loud
03-29-2005, 01:38 PM
does anyone know what the voltage is on a line level out on a sound card?

psycho72
03-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Audigy's are for gaming if you want an audiophile card then get one from M-Audio

Bigrick31
03-30-2005, 11:29 PM
really. ill have to look into ma audios then any one else know about this?

Black_Jesus
03-30-2005, 11:42 PM
ive never tried ma audio cards...

ive always stayed with audigy 2.. infact.. im not willing to even try anything else... its more than i could ask for.

DoubleR
03-30-2005, 11:53 PM
Actually dude M Audio cards are really good. My friend records local bands on his computer through the sound card. Didnt even think of it but Audigy cards are still good.

Bigrick31
03-30-2005, 11:58 PM
anyone know prices on Ma Audio

-JB
03-31-2005, 05:44 AM
It is not MA Audio, its M-Audio.

There is some on newegg. Check the M-Audio site find out what you need and then see where you can find it cheapest :)

Defiler
04-01-2005, 03:33 PM
If you are looking for music get a card with the VIA Vinyl-HT chipset. I have the Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1LT. Way better for music than Creative.

THX
04-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Creative cards **** for music. They resample everything to 48kHz, which is not good for your 44.1kHz music. Some people can't hear the difference, but it's there and if you do A/B comparos you can also hear it. M-Audio has DACs that stomp Creative's. Most just associate Creative with quality because they have really high priced cards and many features that are great for gaming.

Anyway the most popular consumer M-Audio cards are the Revolution 7.1 and 5.1 (the 5.1 is newer and has more modern DACs). They feature the Envy24 chipset which can bypass Windows' kmixer (the element that resamples everything to 48kHz) with either ASIO or kernel streaming. Other cards with this chipset are the Chaintech-AV710 and Auditotrak Prodigy 7.1. The Revolution 5.1 (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Revolution51-main.html) though may be your best bet because of its price (Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-121-116&depa=0)).

More information (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=364771) than you wanted but it will at least put your mind at ease wondering if Creative makes a music lover's card.

Defiler
04-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Creative cards **** for music. They resample everything to 48kHz, which is not good for your 44.1kHz music. Some people can't hear the difference, but it's there and if you do A/B comparos you can also hear it. M-Audio has DACs that stomp Creative's. Most just associate Creative with quality because they have really high priced cards and many features that are great for gaming.

Anyway the most popular consumer M-Audio cards are the Revolution 7.1 and 5.1 (the 5.1 is newer and has more modern DACs). They feature the Envy24 chipset which can bypass Windows' kmixer (the element that resamples everything to 48kHz) with either ASIO or kernel streaming. Other cards with this chipset are the Chaintech-AV710 and Auditotrak Prodigy 7.1. The Revolution 5.1 (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Revolution51-main.html) though may be your best bet because of its price (Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-121-116&depa=0)).

More information (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=364771) than you wanted but it will at least put your mind at ease wondering if Creative makes a music lover's card.

AMEN, BRUTHA!!!!

jakl27
11-22-2005, 05:05 PM
rise from the grave!

well i know this topic is old but im going to install a carputer and here are my choices. what do you recomend.

well i have one set of components in front with a kicker kx350.2 and a re se 10" with a kicker kx600.1. no rear fill since its a single cab f-150.

now i have a few ideas but dont know what to do.

get a m audio pci car 5.1 and split the 1/8 jack for front and sub. what do i do since i dont have rear fill. is this enough preout power to my amps?

or use a soundblaster live 24bit i have on another computer then split its one line out jack to two rca's. then feed those rcas to a kicker kx2. which will convert to high pass rca and low pass rca. is this enough power to my amps?

well what would you do to sound the best. also im running without a head unit. (maybe run a hu for radio but regardless signal should be strong to the aux in a hu right?) thanks guys

Defiler
11-22-2005, 05:23 PM
If you have to chose between the two cards you listed go with the M audio. If you can add a card to the list you have go with an AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1LT. Yes I know you are only doing 2.1 technically but the Prodigy has a way better DAC than either one of the cards listed. Also. I think you can do a 2.1 out put so you don't need to split the 1.8 jack out.

But to add something else. What I did in the past was get a half din pre amp/5 band EQ (Clarion) to get instant volume control and EQ settings. It also had a bass control on it as well. It took 2 sets of AUX inputs and 6 Ch. out with 7V each. Sounded very nice when I had it.

Good luck!

rise from the grave!

well i know this topic is old but im going to install a carputer and here are my choices. what do you recomend.

well i have one set of components in front with a kicker kx350.2 and a re se 10" with a kicker kx600.1. no rear fill since its a single cab f-150.

now i have a few ideas but dont know what to do.

get a m audio pci car 5.1 and split the 1/8 jack for front and sub. what do i do since i dont have rear fill. is this enough preout power to my amps?

or use a soundblaster live 24bit i have on another computer then split its one line out jack to two rca's. then feed those rcas to a kicker kx2. which will convert to high pass rca and low pass rca. is this enough power to my amps?

well what would you do to sound the best. also im running without a head unit. (maybe run a hu for radio but regardless signal should be strong to the aux in a hu right?) thanks guys

jakl27
11-23-2005, 01:57 AM
k i checked out that card, would i need the prodigy or go with the mayas? 7.1 isnt a overkill? also ill need to split the jack regardless, it doesnt have rcas to go to an equalizer , line driver, etc.

Defiler
11-23-2005, 02:17 AM
It's not the number of channels it supports it has to do with the chipset and DACs on the card. It doesn't matter if you use it in a 2.1 or 5.1 or 7.1 setup it the quality you want/get with the hardware.

///M5
11-23-2005, 09:59 AM

If you only want 2 chn's get an E-MU 0404 or if you have the cash an E-MU 1212. The Audigy is crap (for music) and so is the Blaster live (again for music). THX's other recommendations are good to M-Audio Revo 5.1 (don't get the 7.1 as the 5.1 has a better analog output stage), the Audiotrak Prodigy, or if you are cheap and you can be here use the Chaintech AV-710 it is like $25 at Newegg. Beware with the Chaintech though, it only has 2 good D/A's and they are on the rear channels. Don't know why they used cheap ones elsewhere and Wolfson on the rears, but they did. Still IMO $100 for the E-MU 0404 is a great deal, $200 for the E-MU 1212 is even better and if you are cheap $25 on the Chaintech.

Oh, then do yourself a favor and rip all your music again, this time Lossless using Exact Audio Copy. As a reference, the D/A on the 1212 will rival $1000 HU's

EdMuse
11-23-2005, 10:03 PM
...and i was listening to some mp3 from the conputer in my car. all the while thinking Hmm this sounds pretty clean. so i put a cd in my cars HU and listen to a song then put the same cd in the carputer and listen to it. now it did sound better in my pioneer 6500...

Hey, one thing nobody seems to have mentioned is that mp3 files, by nature, don't sound as good as CDs. Remember that the reason you can fit so many mp3 files on a CD is that they are compressed. Now, some methods of compression are better than others, and as far as quality vs. file size goes, mp3 is pretty ****ed good. But any compressed file, be it audio, video or graphics, will not decompress at as good quality as an uncompressed file.

So, before you go gutting your computer, make sure you're comparing apples to apples, here (and I don't mean the OS you're running). Toss a wav or aiff file on the computer, and compare that to the CD. Then, adjust the equipment from there.

-EdM.

amartin_72
01-06-2006, 01:10 PM
I was also considering a carputer but does anyone know if the HD will skip from daily driving conditions or will it be fine?

lubetek
01-06-2006, 01:38 PM
I've been planning this for awhile now. I have been building custom pc's for years now and I decided recently i would put a mini pc in my car (after I'm done building my system)

I will use a 15" touch screen LCD mounted under my hu and angled out a bit for easy access. this way a keyboard is not needed at all nor a mouse. Winxp has a built in keyboard that will pop up on the screen.

If your hu has a aux input then you can just hook your sound card up to it via rca interconnect cable (and all the top end sound cards either have composit, component, optical and fire wire/USB ports)

I just haven't decided if I want the pc mounted in the trunk or fabbed in under my dash. Maybe under the center of the dash console.

lubetek
01-06-2006, 01:39 PM
no the HDD will not skip.

Shinobi
01-06-2006, 09:17 PM
An intresting idea with a car puter would be wireless internet with the mini pc im sure it could be done .

lubetek
01-06-2006, 10:55 PM
yes it could be. just need to install a wireless ethernet card and be in an area where a signal is present. (like a starbucks parking lot)

jrpro130
01-06-2006, 11:31 PM
computers will always sound better...there is a thread about this on mp3car.com

think about where music origionally comes from...computer

when burned to a cd it is drastically reduced in quality 320kb/sec

on a computer you can get a crazy amount like 900kb/sec or something.

just get an ology s/c and be done. on the atx-m1 there is the amp power turn on (remote) lead on it. just hook this to the ology s/c which does have rca outputs and be done w/ it

don't run a h/u..i'ts not worth it. This is my next big project after my 5" lift w/ 33's (3" spinle 2" t bar) for the ranger guys who know what i'm talking about

lubetek
01-07-2006, 01:05 AM
once you rip the music from a cd and compress it into a mp3 or ogg, or wma file you lose some of the quality. Thats a fact. CD quality from the SOURCE will always be better than a compressed file taken from the disc that was created off the original studio sourse. If you think you will do a carputer and that it will be of higher sq than a good hu cd player then you are sadly mistaken. Also you will need a hu for the PC to run through anyway.

oh and its an Audigy not an ology

jrpro130
01-07-2006, 01:57 AM
once you rip the music from a cd and compress it into a mp3 or ogg, or wma file you lose some of the quality. Thats a fact. CD quality from the SOURCE will always be better than a compressed file taken from the disc that was created off the original studio sourse. If you think you will do a carputer and that it will be of higher sq than a good hu cd player then you are sadly mistaken. Also you will need a hu for the PC to run through anyway.

oh and its an Audigy not an ology

you definetly don't need a hu for the pc to run through. you are wrong about that. check out mp3car.com and post what you just said there...talk about a flame war :furious:

i'm not going to argue about this...but i know what the answer is. I wasn't talking about burnt cd's. I was talking about the quality of when you put a CD into your h/u or rip it to your hd on your carputer. Generally...you can find (online, legally) songs that are above cd quality ( greater than 320kb/sec ) therefore your audio SHOULD have more SQ.

on the M1-ATX or ATX-M1 I'm not sure the order of it...there is a spot for a remote turn on for the amp. You can use as many as you would like. Also, most modern and decent sound cards have RCA outputs. And especially as an audio guy and obviously computer, if you put on in your car you must like them, you would STRIVE to get RCA outputs because of pure SQ. Even if you compete in SPL I'm sure you would not want to run through a HEADPHONE JACK. Thats a little off the wall. Carputers are a lot more modern than that.

Just save yourself...don't ever run your RCA's through a headphone jack...it will absolutely destroy the purpose of every basis of SQ through a carputer.

So the answer is...NO you do not have to run a H/U... <http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40351> please read post number 3. Take your time and read through the whole thread...it's pretty intersting. Most of these guys know their stuff. And most of them are either computer engineers or technical engineers.

What do I know...

:edit: I messed my link up

Ctminime
01-07-2006, 02:43 AM
no the HDD will not skip.

are u completly retarded the hdd wont "skip" persay but if you hit a bump while it is reading the needle on the drive WILL screw up the drive... and that is a fact.... unless it is a solidstate hdd or a drive rated for alot of shock protection i can see this being a bad idea..... typically laptops have drives in them rated for shock protection.... but i dont know about drivin around in a car.... u might want to read up on that one and invest in a GOOD shock protection drive (no bobs hard drive company) grab a slimline mator x-shock drive good ****... kinda pricey tho...

concept11253
01-07-2006, 03:26 AM
Don't get the Audigy 2 ZS, get the Audigy 4....

DragonCub
01-07-2006, 03:37 AM
are u completly retarded the hdd wont "skip" persay but if you hit a bump while it is reading the needle on the drive WILL screw up the drive... and that is a fact.... unless it is a solidstate hdd or a drive rated for alot of shock protection i can see this being a bad idea..... typically laptops have drives in them rated for shock protection.... but i dont know about drivin around in a car.... u might want to read up on that one and invest in a GOOD shock protection drive (no bobs hard drive company) grab a slimline mator x-shock drive good ****... kinda pricey tho...
don't listen to him, he doesn't know what he's talking about. A regular hard drive will work fine with out skips. I been using a maxtor for 6 months now and not 1 skip. And this is on NYC roads. there really isn't a need to pay extra for a laptop drive or any other shock protection.
This is from experiece so don't come along telling me the hard drive is not designed for this. Well it's not but it works.

Bigrick31
01-07-2006, 03:44 AM
I had my carputer in my car for about a month and i never had any problem with it HDD skipping. another thing if your really into internet in your car you can get a card that is made by sony (someone else might make one as well) But it takes a sim card the same that go into all GSM cell phones. and if you have a data plan on that simcard through a cellphone provider like t-mobile or cingular than you can get internet anywhere you get cellphone reception. or another idea is to get a bluetooth hub for your computer and get a bluetooth phone that has internet on it and share the internet between the phone and the computer. I beleive only certain phone have this ability but i know that my nokia 6820 does.

lubetek
01-07-2006, 04:14 AM
you definetly don't need a hu for the pc to run through. you are wrong about that. check out mp3car.com and post what you just said there...talk about a flame war :furious:

i'm not going to argue about this...but i know what the answer is. I wasn't talking about burnt cd's.

So the answer is...NO you do not have to run a H/U... <http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40351> please read post number 3. Take your time and read through the whole thread...it's pretty intersting. Most of these guys know their stuff. And most of them are either computer engineers or technical engineers.

What do I know...

:edit: I messed my link up

ahh I thought you were talking about ripped cd's. I have never heard of running a pc in the car and not running it through the hu. I'll have to read that thread and see what thats about. Thanks.

lubetek
01-07-2006, 04:18 AM
are u completly retarded the hdd wont "skip" persay but if you hit a bump while it is reading the needle on the drive WILL screw up the drive...

Last I checked I wasn't retarded. I'm A+ certified though so that should stand for something. (should lol)
as for a normal HDD skipping. I do not see that being a problem. Maybe your car has crap for suspension and every bump jars you badly. I have no idea. Most cars ride fairly smooth these days. Skipping will NOT be an issue.

lubetek
01-07-2006, 04:20 AM
Don't get the Audigy 2 ZS, get the Audigy 4....

I have to agree with you on that one.

lubetek
01-07-2006, 04:22 AM
don't listen to him, he doesn't know what he's talking about. A regular hard drive will work fine with out skips. I been using a maxtor for 6 months now and not 1 skip. And this is on NYC roads. there really isn't a need to pay extra for a laptop drive or any other shock protection.
This is from experiece so don't come along telling me the hard drive is not designed for this. Well it's not but it works.

Thank you. and trust me I wasn't listening to him. He starts by asking me if I'm retarded and then admits it wont skip persay....it would take a big bump.

takeabao
01-07-2006, 05:12 AM
Okay, I hate to be the one to break it to you folks, but a carputer with a simple soundcard (external OR internal) will NOT sound as good or better than a good HU (and by good, I mean something with a 24-bit DAC) -- regardless of the sound card you use. The reason? I'm not going to get too technical (there's quite a few articles out there about it), but just know that the preout voltage on a computer sound card is extremely low (check out the Creative website for exact specs... you'll be a bit surprised) and is very sensitive to distortion...

Don't believe me? Go listen to a "n00b" carputer setup with something like a SoundBlaster Audigy NX (external) connected via RCA to amplifiers. Then listen to decent transport >>> amplifiers setup (something like an Eclipse CD8053). The difference is DRAMATIC.

If you want to do a carputer, please, for Christ's sake do it right and use an outboard processor/DAC.

The easiest way to accomplish this is build a carputer using a motherboard with a digital coaxial output. That particular signal is particarly easy to convert into Toslink (what most people associate with "optical") which would be connected to your amp or processor (in my case, an Alpine H701).

Don't you see? The computer is just another transport, albeit a VERY versatile one. But all it is, is your preamp. Nothing more. Your outboard processor/EQ/crossover will handle the rest. If you want to achieve the ultimate in sound quality with your carputer, don't even think about using headphone outputs converted to RCA -- you will be very dissapointed.

Digital is the ONLY way to go.

Here's some food for thought (something I will probably do in an upcoming install in my father's car):

Carputer with digital out >>> toslink >>> Alpine MRA-D550 5.1 Dolby Digital amp >>> sub amp

A simple, and TRUE, 5.1 in-car system.

lubetek
01-07-2006, 05:29 AM
I for one don't think (like I posted) that a carputer would be better sq than a hu. thats just my two cents though. Also I don't want a "carputer" I plan to build a full pc (mini) and use it for multimedia purposes (DVDmovies, music, and what ever else I want. The uses are endless. its a PC. I wouldn't be aiming it at high SQ though. The hu would handle that.

I'm into computers like you guys are into car audio. for me it would just be cool to have a mini pc with touch screen 15" lcd.

jrpro130
01-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Okay, I hate to be the one to break it to you folks, but a carputer with a simple soundcard (external OR internal) will NOT sound as good or better than a good HU (and by good, I mean something with a 24-bit DAC) -- regardless of the sound card you use. The reason? I'm not going to get too technical (there's quite a few articles out there about it), but just know that the preout voltage on a computer sound card is extremely low (check out the Creative website for exact specs... you'll be a bit surprised) and is very sensitive to distortion...

Don't believe me? Go listen to a "n00b" carputer setup with something like a SoundBlaster Audigy NX (external) connected via RCA to amplifiers. Then listen to decent transport >>> amplifiers setup (something like an Eclipse CD8053). The difference is DRAMATIC.

If you want to do a carputer, please, for Christ's sake do it right and use an outboard processor/DAC.

The easiest way to accomplish this is build a carputer using a motherboard with a digital coaxial output. That particular signal is particarly easy to convert into Toslink (what most people associate with "optical") which would be connected to your amp or processor (in my case, an Alpine H701).

Don't you see? The computer is just another transport, albeit a VERY versatile one. But all it is, is your preamp. Nothing more. Your outboard processor/EQ/crossover will handle the rest. If you want to achieve the ultimate in sound quality with your carputer, don't even think about using headphone outputs converted to RCA -- you will be very dissapointed.

Digital is the ONLY way to go.

Here's some food for thought (something I will probably do in an upcoming install in my father's car):

Carputer with digital out >>> toslink >>> Alpine MRA-D550 5.1 Dolby Digital amp >>> sub amp

A simple, and TRUE, 5.1 in-car system.

I would never chince on my soundcard. That is the basis of your "system"

Somone around mp3car forums said that your system is only as good as your carputer/head unit.

Basically if you can't play audio well, your definetly not going to produce it well.

If you buy one of the top soundcards...you will get that quality sound (w/ proper equipment)

If you buy a crappy soundcard or just use a noob stock one w/ headphone jacks...your going to get just that...crappy sound

Ctminime
01-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Last I checked I wasn't retarded. I'm A+ certified though so that should stand for something. (should lol)
as for a normal HDD skipping. I do not see that being a problem. Maybe your car has crap for suspension and every bump jars you badly. I have no idea. Most cars ride fairly smooth these days. Skipping will NOT be an issue.
i have A+ and mcse cert too buddy its nothing special..... and i didnt say that an hdd would skip.... not like a cd skips anyway.... cuz that is not the case with that situation, i said that if u might hit a bump while the thing is reading/or writing the needle on the drive CAN remove the film it records data on, it does happen and nobody can tell me that it dosent... what do you think causes the deathof many ipods SHOCK while it is reading or writing.... and just for the record when it comes to computers i DO know what im talking about so as far as im concerned ure opinions on what i know or dont can eat me!
!have a nice day!:D

lubetek
01-08-2006, 12:13 AM
i have A+ and mcse cert too buddy its nothing special.....

so what are you saying? that you wasted your time getting certified? I guess anyone can do the things you and I can do? Not sure where you were going with that.

anyway. our opinions differ. Good enough. I understand how a HDD can be damaged. I'm not saying its impossible to happen in a vehicle either. I just said I don't think it will be a problem. I bet I'll have no problem running one either.

Others have had no problems as well.

You do make a good point about lap top HDD's being shock resistant. That would only make things less likely to go wrong.

M5AM
01-08-2006, 01:41 AM
I had a carputer and it was alright, but after 4 months it became more a novelty that for the cost of it I could replace with a few different things that I would actually use more. Things would happen that would be verrrry annoying.

Computer freezes while playing a song and kept replaying a certain part over and over untill the computer was turned off hard.

Boot times.

Bugs and glitches in software.

There are a few other things but all the reasons why I said I would get the CarPC were almost not used at all. I think anyone considering getting one should think about a touch screen unit or something. Mabye the alpine IVA-310 with an iPod or something like that.

If you do decide to go with a CarPC I would suggest the M-Audio sound cards, much better for music than the audigy cards, plus some if the nicer ones have RCA out on the card since they are used a lot in studios.

Ctminime
01-08-2006, 01:59 AM
You do make a good point about lap top HDD's being shock resistant. That would only make things less likely to go wrong.

after this stuff that we argued about i respect u more 99.9 percent just because u didnt carry it on anymore cuz to a point we were both right and i think just misunderstood the reasoning, the difference of it being a problem and the possibility that it could happen are pretty different... way to be

DragonCub
01-08-2006, 03:26 AM
Also I don't want a "carputer" I plan to build a full pc (mini) and use it for multimedia purposes (DVDmovies, music, and what ever else I want. The uses are endless. its a PC.
what do you think a "carputer" is??

DragonCub
01-08-2006, 03:28 AM
I had a carputer and it was alright, but after 4 months it became more a novelty that for the cost of it I could replace with a few different things that I would actually use more. Things would happen that would be verrrry annoying.

Computer freezes while playing a song and kept replaying a certain part over and over untill the computer was turned off hard.

Boot times.

Bugs and glitches in software.

There are a few other things but all the reasons why I said I would get the CarPC were almost not used at all. I think anyone considering getting one should think about a touch screen unit or something. Mabye the alpine IVA-310 with an iPod or something like that.

If you do decide to go with a CarPC I would suggest the M-Audio sound cards, much better for music than the audigy cards, plus some if the nicer ones have RCA out on the card since they are used a lot in studios.
Its been said carputers are not for everyone, espcially not for the novice.
I've had mine in my car for a long time and have never expericed any of the problems you've stated. I think it was probably a bad setup on your part.

and boot times?? What boot times? who reboots everytime when you start the car? This proves you didn't know what you were doing.

M5AM
01-08-2006, 04:02 AM
The computer usually reboots when you have an automatic start up and shut down power supply, and the gliches were caused most likely by the stiff suspension in my car and the bad roads in my area. You are right that they are not for everyone, but to discredit my input makes you seem uncreditable. Go back to mp3car.

DragonCub
01-08-2006, 04:25 AM
The computer usually reboots when you have an automatic start up and shut down power supply, and the gliches were caused most likely by the stiff suspension in my car and the bad roads in my area. You are right that they are not for everyone, but to discredit my input makes you seem uncreditable. Go back to mp3car.
I use a power supply that has automatic start up and shut down and I never reboot. and your roads can't be worst then NYC roads.

Go back to mp3car.
fine I will. :crying:

lubetek
01-08-2006, 06:17 AM
after this stuff that we argued about i respect u more 99.9 percent just because u didnt carry it on anymore cuz to a point we were both right and i think just misunderstood the reasoning, the difference of it being a problem and the possibility that it could happen are pretty different... way to be
:cool:

lubetek
01-08-2006, 06:25 AM
what do you think a "carputer" is??

yeah you are right. I should have explained myself better. I do not like the term "carputer" sounds stupid to me. I prefer PC.

I really don't want it for music all that much. more so for DVD and games. Once a week before my class i sit in my car for two hours from when I get off work till class starts. I usually sit there and read (working on "The Da Vinci Code" but i wouldn't mind watching a movie or playing madden 2006 or something. Plus I have a map program that would come in handy on it. Wireless internet would be cool if i'm in a un secured zone...some music, maybe music video's ( i have a large collection of them)

sure the novelty might wear off but then again maybe not. A pc in my car would in no way take the place of my hu though. it would just be an addition. Not to mention I have all the pc parts laying around. The only thing I'll need is a touch screen LCD

DragonCub
01-09-2006, 03:31 AM
my setup does all that and more. and a PC can for sure replace a HU. Name me one thing you can do with a HU that you can't with a PC.

lubetek
01-09-2006, 01:20 PM
you talking to me? Because if you are you are barking up the wrong tree. a PC can do anything a HU can do and more. I wouldn't argue that.