PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

audiofanaticz
03-26-2005, 06:20 AM
The car is a 1990 Ford Thunderbird, my project car.

I came up to this problom. I want to run components, and get rid of my focals since there old and abused.
So far I been searching ebay, here, and all over for a decent company that can fulfill my needs, but nothing is even making me interested.

I have 5x7s in my front doors, and 5x7s in my rear quarter panels. I seen that Alpine has a 5x7 comp kit along with jl audio and kicker.

My front doors are easy a standard 2 way component set will do me just fine with the mids in the doors and the tweets someplace on the a-pillers.

There rear however gives me the problom. I want 3 ways. I would also put the midrange 5x7 in the rear side panel, Id like to put some 6.5s in the rear deck and tweets where I have two little dome lights on the rear pillers.

But I cant seem to find any comp sets that are a 3-way setup with 6.5s, and 5x7s.
I wouldnt mind having to buy a 3way system that has a 6.5 and like a 3 inch mid, then not use the mid and buy a seprate set of 5x7s, but it seems like all i can find are 2 way 5x7s which wont work unless i disconnect the tweeter on it becuase it would be crossed over too low by the other crossover.

So what should i do?
Id like to stick with the same company for all components

Thanks
Brian

Gauntlet
03-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Are you going to be in the back a lot or something? That's going to distract from the front stage a lot. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to find something that fits all your needs, and in the end it won't add much to your stereo/will distract from it. I'd say put a real nice component set up front and leave it at that.

analogkid
03-26-2005, 08:57 PM
you could just get a really good set of 6.5 comps for the front and fit them in the 5x7 holes. iv dont it before and it is one of the easiest jobs to do. same goes for the back although you might be better off with justa set of coaxils. but you should do what will make you happy. mixing speakers to make a component set is hard to cross over properly. if you do it passively you will likely have to try several times to get it to sound right. if you do it actively you will have to run a set of amp channels for each set of speakers. ex: if you do 3 way comps actively, you will need a six channel amp.

audiofanaticz
03-28-2005, 10:43 AM
Ok thanks. I just wanted 2 sets, because I want them to be loud. Im pushing 6,000 wrms to 2 12 in subs that are front firing into the cabin (with the trunk sealed off from the passenger area of the car). And I need my vocals to keep up with the bass.
Id just though Id go with a 3way in the rear so I get some bass along with the mids and tweets too when im rolling with the subs turned off on my eq. I dont need to be banging right through the city so people know what i have.
And for the record my polyglass focals couldnt keep up with 200 wrms to each channel :(

tRiGgEr
03-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Ok thanks. I just wanted 2 sets, because I want them to be loud. Im pushing 6,000 wrms to 2 12 in subs that are front firing into the cabin (with the trunk sealed off from the passenger area of the car). And I need my vocals to keep up with the bass.
Id just though Id go with a 3way in the rear so I get some bass along with the mids and tweets too when im rolling with the subs turned off on my eq. I dont need to be banging right through the city so people know what i have.
And for the record my polyglass focals couldnt keep up with 200 wrms to each channel :(

First, having two sets will not make you loud. Install and power are huge factors there. I could have one set that are louder than 3 sets. So get a good front set and just some coaxils in the rear.

Second, What amps and subs are you running. 6000rms I highlly doubt. (BS)

Third, Your "polyglass focals" probably couldn't keep up with 200 watts cuz there not rated for 200 watts...

squeak9798
03-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Horns are the answer to your problem.

Seriously; with a pair of horns under the dash, with ~25w on each horn, and a 8" or 10" mid in the front doors, you will not need anything more :thumbupw: Right now I have ~15w going to each one of my horns, and they can get loud enough that it is unbearable to sit in my car :D They will have no problem keeping up with your subs.

audiofanaticz
03-28-2005, 01:07 PM
I was looking at the image dynamic horns already. I thought they may be a bit to much, but maybe not. I havent went to much for sq, or know too much about it.

As for the amps. I am using 2 hifonic xx colossus, 1 amp per DD 3512. So thank you for calling my bluff. Have a nice day :yumyum:

Might want to add that I have 2 audiobahn hct2300s you can have if you are so deprived of watts trigger :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . They use to bump the dd's til it wasnt enough power, and i got sick of the clipping.

tRiGgEr
03-28-2005, 05:09 PM
I was looking at the image dynamic horns already. I thought they may be a bit to much, but maybe not. I havent went to much for sq, or know too much about it.

As for the amps. I am using 2 hifonic xx colossus, 1 amp per DD 3512. So thank you for calling my bluff. Have a nice day :yumyum:

Might want to add that I have 2 audiobahn hct2300s you can have if you are so deprived of watts trigger :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . They use to bump the dd's til it wasnt enough power, and i got sick of the clipping.

Pics, electrical upgrades. Must only be for comps...

audiofanaticz
03-28-2005, 11:38 PM
I have no pictures as of yet, although I got a few crappy pics of the old dd box in the mazda on the hct2300 amps, but that is when the dd's where 15s, I had a smaller clearence and wasnt able to do the setup in the thunderbird the way I wanted it, now the dds are 3512s dual 2 ohm instead of 3515 dual 4 ohm.

Im running all 1/0 gauge power wires all the way around, also upgraded all stock grounds to 1/0 gauge too. and from the distro block to the amps is 4 guage. 8 gauge speaker wire for the subs.

Its not a comp vehicle, im just a bass head. I competited at local comps however tho, but not having a valid drivers liecense its not worth driving all over

justsayk
03-29-2005, 01:00 AM
Its not a comp vehicle, im just a bass head. I competited at local comps however tho, but not having a valid drivers liecense its not worth driving all over

are you serious?

audiofanaticz
03-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Why would I want to compete? I got cheap amps. Ill get laughed at just as much as i did when I used audiobahn amps. these amps aint to much better considering i bought them for 400 bucks each and that was cheaper then audiobling.

I forgot to add last night that I am having ohio generators build me a 16 volt, 200 amp alt.

The pics i also have are in my photo alblum.

squeak9798
03-29-2005, 08:38 AM
I forgot to add last night that I am having ohio generators build me a 16 volt, 200 amp alt.

Hope you don't plan on runnin' your whole car with that........

audiofanaticz
03-29-2005, 10:09 AM
no, its just a 2nd one, im using the stock one for my electrical system, and the one im having built is dedicated to just the amps.

another reason I dont compete is because my box is tuned way low. I mostly listen to rap, and alot of lil jon beats, and them beats are low, so my box is low, 18 herts lmao.. :laugh: :rolleyes:

tRiGgEr
03-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Hope you don't plan on runnin' your whole car with that........

:word: X infinity.

I'm still saying :bsflag:

audiofanaticz
03-29-2005, 10:13 AM
whatever hate all you want. My buddys in car audio that have assisted me are jemery weber and josh mertzig. there both national competitors and both hold very high spl records.

The pic in the avatar is one of joshs setups in his blazer consisting of 6 15" image dynamics, and 6 us amps

tRiGgEr
03-29-2005, 10:16 AM
whatever hate all you want. My buddys in car audio that have assisted me are jemery weber and josh mertzig. there both national competitors and both hold very high spl records.

Yeah while my uncle is Richard Clark and my great great great great grandpa is Abe Lincoln.

Now way you can even run one of those current hogs on a stock electrical system for more than a burp. Even if you had 6 deep cycle batteries...

If you knew me I don't hate on people I could care less about your setup, I'm just allergic to bullshit...Have a nice day.

audiofanaticz
03-29-2005, 10:20 AM
whatever, you need to grow up! The only bullshit is comming straight out of your mouth. So why dont you find someone that gives a **** and start some crap with them, because I dont want to hear it.
n00b

LoudCrownVic
03-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Use horns in the front, domes in the back. This way the louder part of the system remains in the front, yet you still have vocal imaging (but not as much) in the back.
Plus, with that much bass (even if it is Pyramid 6000 watts max/80wrms) you will need awful loud highs to compensate. Horn tweets are just the stuff to cut it ;).
Plus, don't bother defending yourself for stupid things you said... Even if your mom is a master SPL competitor that still means you arent and still need to learn.
Or refuse to learn and have a crummy system...

Neostar63
03-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Where in wisconsin are you?

tRiGgEr
03-29-2005, 10:42 AM
n00b

Did you just say that...

Never mind you are now not worth my time...block...

audiofanaticz
03-29-2005, 06:43 PM
Sheboygan

Neostar63
03-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Just wondering. The horns would definitely kick more *** than anything that you could put in the front. Like they said a set in the front should not drown out in the bass. If that is the case then the components or whatever you aer using are no good. You can use multiple sets, but you lose the flexibility in the imaging as stated before.

audiofanaticz
03-30-2005, 12:11 PM
ok, thanks neo. Milwaukee is a close drive from me. about 40 minutes. we could go on a bump-A-thon one of these days once I get some tweet action going on in my car. :up2somet:

Neostar63
03-30-2005, 10:28 PM
yeah once i get my sub back from the manufacturer i will go.

audiofanaticz
03-31-2005, 02:01 AM
awesome!