PDA

View Full Version : fiber optic cable?

PV Audio
03-25-2005, 09:10 PM
should i run one of these to my pioneer cd player? it has the connections and people keep telling me that its like night and day between FO and RCAs (i think bs personally, but i've never heard a fiber optic system), anyone use fiber optics?
:)

req
03-25-2005, 09:12 PM
um.

wouldnt the cables cost an assload of money?

and does the amp take in fiber optic?

Black_Jesus
03-25-2005, 09:24 PM
very very hard to run a optical system in a car that wasnt originally designed with one, you have to make SURE that the cable is in no way stressed or pinched because it WILL fck your signal and once the cable is fcked u need a new one... and optical can only go so far without needing to be amped, depending on the source unit how much power it is feeding into it of course...

mmmm DWM...

PV Audio
03-25-2005, 09:47 PM
to req: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-948 and yes the amp takes fiber optic

to BJ: it is in a home setup, hence the home audio forum

Black_Jesus
03-25-2005, 09:51 PM
sorry, car audio forum, didnt notice i was in the home section lol

and dam u for following me around =P lol :)

PV Audio
03-25-2005, 09:59 PM
sorry, car audio forum, didnt notice i was in the home section lol

and dam u for following me around =P lol :)
:up2somet: you know why i'm following you

req
03-25-2005, 10:03 PM
to req: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-948 and yes the amp takes fiber optic

to BJ: it is in a home setup, hence the home audio forum

so the amp will take it, it can be ran with no issues.

why the feck not? give it a try- and you tell us how you like it... but make sure you test the differences.

PV Audio
03-25-2005, 10:17 PM
so the amp will take it, it can be ran with no issues.

why the feck not? give it a try- and you tell us how you like it... but make sure you test the differences.
yah, i was wondering if anyone has one and could tell me if they like theirs. ima try it out. my test tracks are as follows (you NEED THESE if ur an audiophile):

John Coltrane - track three off Love Supreme Disc 1 (drum line in the beginning is INSANE)

Ellis Marsalis - entire Heart of Gold CD

George Albright - Georgia on my Mind (live at birdman(imo, my favorite jazz song))

Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, Tim Burton - Country Roads (like minds cd)

Franz Lizst - Hungarian Rhapsody II

Miles Davis - Jam

Fourplay - Can't it Wait 'til Morning (elixir cd)

Michael Jackson - Stranger in Moscow (a good system, and this song will make you cry)

Joshua Redman - Sweet Sorrow (BEAUTIFUL)

Thelonious Monk - The Columbia Years (entire set OWNS joo)

Beethoven - Sonata #8 Pathetique (i can play this track(i've played piano for 12 yrs) but nothing compares to a classical pianist on an 8ft grand piano OMG)

and of course...

Illogic - First Trimester

Illogic - I Wish He Would Make Me

nosaj070
03-28-2005, 12:33 PM
You will most likely notice a difference, but it has a lot to do with your amplifer and speakers more than the type of cable. Theoretically though the digital cable should be better than the RCA's.

JimJ
03-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Always run the digital/optical inputs if you have 'em...no reason not to.

bean
03-28-2005, 04:49 PM
What kind of gear are you using? You may or may not get better sound. The optical cable will bypass the digital to ananlog converter in the CD player and use the one in the reciever. If the reciever has a better D/A converter then you're in luck! It will sound better.

Also, it is a CD player right? Not DVD?

PV Audio
03-28-2005, 06:13 PM
cd player

cobra133
03-28-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm using optical cables on a kenwood reciever. They do sound better. How much better? hard to say. Honestly, its the las thing you want to upgrade. If you dont have good speakers, you'll never notice.

gargoyle
03-30-2005, 03:07 AM
If you're planning on running a digital cable between your receiver and your cd player, you should be using a digital coaxial cable as your primary choice and the optical only if you don't have that available to you. Optical cables produce something referred to as jitter, hence a reason that companies produce jitter reduction boxes, digital coaxial cables don't have this problem and have a stable signal up to 50feet. A digital coax. jack should look like an ordinary rca jack, except for the fact that it will be orange or black in color (and should say coax.) Keep in mind though, unless you have extemely expensive interconnects ($200+) then the optical cable is still going to be superior to the standard analog.

JimJ
03-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Keep in mind though, unless you have extemely expensive interconnects ($200+)

I would maintain that anything over $100 per meter inteconnects are past the point of diminishing returns, but to each their own...

193dBman
03-30-2005, 12:34 PM
Homegrown Audio pwnz joo!

JimJ
03-30-2005, 12:50 PM
40 bucks for a half meter...ehh, I can buy finished interconnects from http://www.diycable.com that would probably compare very favorably :)

193dBman
03-30-2005, 02:12 PM
pure silver braid cables are sweet, when my mom used to work with that company she always brought home lil sliver's of homegrowns cables and they were sick nasty. Def. worth looking into if ur serious about ur HT and what not.

JimJ
03-30-2005, 02:20 PM
Really? Know of any reviews or comparisons to other interconnects?

They're not out of my budget...maybe. I'd have to do the research.

193dBman
03-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Not sure about reviews n what not. But i believe that at homegrownaudio.com they might have a forum, i havent been there in a long time. Are you in VA, cause if you are, they are actually located in roanoke. I been meanin to go down to the office and say hi to everyone but havent so yea hahaha.

Here we go, i googled for reviews, seems like people who buy them love them.http://www.audioreview.com/Cables/Homegrown%20Audio/PRD_123942_1584crx.aspx

JimJ
03-30-2005, 02:56 PM
I'm a half hour away from Roanoke...it's right up 81 from me :)

193dBman
03-30-2005, 03:04 PM
I'm about to be back living in salem so i was thinkin about scooping up some cables. Since my mom used to work there and we're all good friends i get a pretty good cut. But yea, really cool company, really small. When my mom worked for them it was like 4-5 people. Really great to deal with because less company hassle you know. I was thinkin about usin them in my car. J/w but do you have any thoughts about that.

JimJ
03-30-2005, 03:09 PM
If they work well at home, they work well in the car :)

Shouldn't have a problem, although I shudder at what they could cost for those lengths...

193dBman
03-30-2005, 03:46 PM
I know i kinda jacked this thread but w/e. You ever thought about gettin a CA.com VA meet together. I've always wanted to see what people on here systems are like. Well thats the end of my posting for a while.

PV Audio
04-03-2005, 12:55 PM
i got the optical cable and my y interconnects w/ a new sub cable (all dayton). already, i can hear more punch and more crispness in the audio. good buy imo.

JimJ
04-03-2005, 01:08 PM
You ever thought about gettin a CA.com VA meet together.

I'd love to...and where I am on 81 is perfect, accessible to everyone on the East Coast :)

Or I'd be willing to drive a few hours, maybe up to Northern VA somewhere, or south to NC...I know there are quite a few NC members on here.

Quart2000
04-13-2005, 12:02 AM
Use the optical, at least give it a try, I prefer the sound I get out of optical on my system. Your system can only sound as good as your weakest link, which is usually cheap, low quality cables. In the end it's all about your preference in sound so since you got the cable you make the call.

:peace: