PDA

View Full Version : Is 3/4'' enough clearance?

the_noob
03-25-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm drawing out the plans for my box and I'm really pressed for space. I know its recommended to leave about an inch from the driver and the back wall for the proper airflow, but would 3/4'' be enough?

Moe Lester
03-25-2005, 01:02 PM
how wide is the pole vent?

the_noob
03-25-2005, 01:06 PM
how wide is the pole vent?

I'm not sure I know what that is (I'm new), but it would be a sealed enclosure, if that is what you mean.

THUNDERBIRD
03-25-2005, 02:49 PM
he means the vent at the bottom of the sub magnet i think

the_noob
03-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Oh, well I haven't actually bought anything yet, its just that I only have about 7 inches to work with (5.5'' internal with 3/4'' mdf), and I've been looking at either an ARC 10'' or a Soundsplinter Rl-i. Both have a mounting depth of 5.5'', which would give me 3/4'' clearance.

tRiGgEr
03-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Try to get at least 2 inches. Play it safe.

the_noob
03-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Try to get at least 2 inches. Play it safe.

Well, that would mean a sub with about a 4 1/4'' mounting depth. Do they even make them that small? Sorry, but I don't think it would work.

tRiGgEr
03-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Well, that would mean a sub with about a 4 1/4'' mounting depth. Do they even make them that small? Sorry, but I don't think it would work.

Yes they have shallow mount subs. You just wont find a super sub with a shallow mount.

the_noob
03-25-2005, 04:09 PM
Yes they have shallow mount subs. You just wont find a super sub with a shallow mount.

Thats fine, I'm not really looking for a ''super sub.'' Could you maybe give me some reccomendations?

takeabao
03-25-2005, 05:21 PM
What kinda car is this?

the_noob
03-25-2005, 05:23 PM
What kinda car is this?

'05 Chevy Crew Cab. Big truck, but very little space behind the seats.

takeabao
03-25-2005, 05:32 PM
'05 Chevy Crew Cab. Big truck, but very little space behind the seats.

Have you thought about fabricating a box under your rear seats?

the_noob
03-25-2005, 05:34 PM
Have you thought about fabricating a box under your rear seats?

...even less space there, thats where the amps will go.

the_noob
03-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Ok, I've been looking around and with everybody talking about Illusion Audio these days, I took a look at their website. They have some extremely shallow subs. The problem is, the ND 10i recommends 1.45 cu ft. I really would have liked to go with two tens, but if there's just no way, would Illusion be a good way to go?

BigPimpin18
03-25-2005, 08:31 PM
y don't u look into 2 8" subs?

rtd66stang
03-26-2005, 08:20 AM
I had a simillar problem with my box. I had to make it in the shape of a parallelogram. 12"x12"x39". The driver hit the bottom of the box. I built it out with two rings I made w/ MDF. It is about 1" from the bottom now.

the_noob
03-26-2005, 12:30 PM
I've decided now that I'm just going to go ahead and try fiberglassing it. Fiberglass seems to be much thinner, and will leave more room for the sub. I should get at least an inch and a half. Hopefully this will be good enough.

2wheeler
03-26-2005, 01:22 PM
How bout this, (what I'm doing). Use mdf for the front and sides, fiberglass for the back to get the extra clearance. Then look at Kicker 8" l7s. These subs are close to the output of 10s, pretty shallow (4 3/4 or so) and work in a pretty small box, .33 cu ft min sealed up to 1 cu ft ported. Check em out.

the_noob
03-26-2005, 03:55 PM
Well I was looking for more of a SQ sub, and if I fiberglass the whole thing, I'll have about 2.5ft^3. I'm probably going to go with a koda(4.75), a few RE 10's(4.75), or a couple IDQ10's(5.25). With the IDQ's, I should get a little over 1.6 inches and with the RE's or the Koda I'll get over 2 inches.

el_chupo_
03-27-2005, 12:33 AM
I dont know if you realize this, or if im just not reading your posts right, but when a sub mfg gives the mounting depth, they are assuming you are using 3/4 inch wood, and the mountind depth stated is beyond that. So a 5.5 inch mounting depth means the sub is 6.25" from the bottom of the mounting rind to the bottom of the magnet. If you already knew this, sorry

Matt

joeldirt
03-27-2005, 12:49 AM
http://www.thezeb.com/p-Audiobahn-AWP310T-10-inch-Subwoofer-100486.htm

not sure exactly what type of sound you may be looking for, but these subs are slim with high power handling. And if oyu leave 3/4" to 1" everything will be okay. you do want to give them as much space as you can but the pole vent is for voice coil cooling, so you wnat to make sure there is an ample amount of air going in and out of it. There are also things called bass transducers made by aura. Great for cars like jeeps or convertibles because it gives an impression of bass that you can feel rather then hear. Check those out as an option too. If you are looking for sound quality and not a whole lot of rumble you can get away with a good set of sperates in teh front, some six by nines in the back, and two of these trnasducers under the front two seats. you have alot of options.

the_noob
03-27-2005, 01:02 AM
I dont know if you realize this, or if im just not reading your posts right, but when a sub mfg gives the mounting depth, they are assuming you are using 3/4 inch wood, and the mountind depth stated is beyond that. So a 5.5 inch mounting depth means the sub is 6.25" from the bottom of the mounting rind to the bottom of the magnet. If you already knew this, sorry

Matt

OK, well then can u explain this diagram for me? IDQ10 (http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/website/tech/data_sheet_idq10d2v2.html) It shows that the sub is exactly 5.25 inches from the mounting ring to the bottom of the magnet. So did they just abbreviate this and the real mounting depth is 6 inches, or is it 5.25? Its real important that I figure this out.

As for the audiobahns, $320 is kinda steep for one sub, not to mention that I've heard horrible things about Audiobahn.

el_chupo_
03-27-2005, 01:10 AM
your right on those subs, and some others, but typically when a company gives a mounting depth they list the top mounting depth. Obviously not every one(as the picture shows), but i know my type r 10 was listed like that. Good luck on your project and finding subs that work.

For what its worth, i was looking into those subs, but some people on here said the new id10v.3 was almost identical to the idq in SQ. plus they are alot cheper. Just food for thought...

Good luck
Matt

the_noob
03-27-2005, 01:12 AM
Ok, thanks. You gave me a little bit of a scare there. Those IDQ's are probably what I'm going to go with. Should sound great. :D

joeldirt
03-27-2005, 01:13 AM
OK, well then can u explain this diagram for me? IDQ10 (http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/website/tech/data_sheet_idq10d2v2.html) It shows that the sub is exactly 5.25 inches from the mounting ring to the bottom of the magnet. So did they just abbreviate this and the real mounting depth is 6 inches, or is it 5.25? Its real important that I figure this out.

As for the audiobahns, $320 is kinda steep for one sub, not to mention that I've heard horrible things about Audiobahn.

Those subs are actually MUCH cheaper else where, I just found one on a yahoo search for a quick reference.... I guess those guys are claiming they can ask for alot sicne they offer full waranties or what ever. as for what oyu ahve heard about Audiobahn.... I don't know why Audiobahn is so thrashed all of the time and I say this ALL the time in these forums. Its because people are lazy and put the subs in random enclosures and premanufactured boxes... The subs are made for a specific purpose and the Box perameters should be followed exactly by what the sub was Designed to be operated in... People pay little attention to the manufacturers recomendations and are often on their own program.... Audiobahn is my brand, and I happen to love them. Never had any issues with their products. People are lazy and do alot of shotty work, and then they blame it on the products. I hear alot of bad things about Audiobahn but I pay no attention to it due to my own experiences with them, and I always get amazing results from them. I own an immortal 12" sub running at 2000 watts RMS in my civic. And it hits clean and hard as hell.

SPL140.2
03-27-2005, 01:22 AM
is the enclosure you building or buying has an angle for the front where you mount the subs? If you get one with an angle or buy one itll give you more space from the sub to the back of the enclosure.

the_noob
03-27-2005, 01:26 AM
Well, then you'll have to forgive me. All I really know about Audiobahn is what I've read on car audio forums(such as this one). So then, do you think that the Audiobahn would be a better buy than the IDQ? I'm serious, if you really think that it can outperform the IDQ's then I will gladly consider it. How is the SQ on this driver?

the_noob
03-27-2005, 01:28 AM
is the enclosure you building or buying has an angle for the front where you mount the subs? If you get one with an angle or buy one itll give you more space from the sub to the back of the enclosure.

Actually, yes, it will have a pretty decent slant, I just don't have any idea how to calculate how much more space it would give me. Is there a way of figuring this out, or is just kind of a ''put it in and then measure'' sort of a deal?

joeldirt
03-27-2005, 01:53 AM
Well, then you'll have to forgive me. All I really know about Audiobahn is what I've read on car audio forums(such as this one). So then, do you think that the Audiobahn would be a better buy than the IDQ? I'm serious, if you really think that it can outperform the IDQ's then I will gladly consider it. How is the SQ on this driver?

You know, on my computer they show to be somewhat similar. The only difference is the audiobahn sub is much louder.... Go figure it has a difference of close to 800watts.. The audiobahn sub runs at 1000 watts RMS where as the IDQ runs at 250....

The IDQ enclosure runs very small.... .6 ft3 at the largest for a sealed, and .3 for the space saver design........

the audiobahn sub space saver design is .5 ft3 and the larger box is 1.5ft

so the audiobahn sub is much louder and will produce a larger frequency range...

the only disadvantage of the Audiobahn would be finding an amp to run them....
such as........http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_60.html or http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_57.html

! ! ! !READ THE REVIEWS! ! ! !

by the way that isnt necesarily a disadvantasge, after all you do get what you pay for.... AUDIOBAHN AMPS AND SUBS KICK *** BOTTOM LINE!

just pay attention to detail and build the box to specs and you will be happy. being as though it would be a sealed box it would be too easy to get great sound from these subs.

SPL140.2
03-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Actually, yes, it will have a pretty decent slant, I just don't have any idea how to calculate how much more space it would give me. Is there a way of figuring this out, or is just kind of a ''put it in and then measure'' sort of a deal?

The subs should perform alright if there at a slant :D I wouldnt worry to much about it. :D

xplcitcustmz
12-10-2005, 05:17 AM
this thread is crazy old, i will have to take some pics of my setup in my 05 gmc sierra denali, same scenario with the space, i built a box, that holds 4 jl 10w1's, bumps hard, only cost me 340 bucks to build, including subs.

Vadude
12-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Went to tweeter a few nights ago and asked this same question, even though my box is finished. Basically the guy said that the space between the magnet and the box wall is only a heat issue if you are powering the subs with a lot of wattage. I dont even think half an inch would be a worry with an amp distrubuting 300 watts between 2 subs.

Then again this is just what Ive read and heard on and off line. I guess I'll find out when my amp comes in.

Chevyaudio
12-10-2005, 04:34 PM
Im gonna be running 2 Rl-ps in a single cab (12's). I will have one inch behind each of them, and I was told more than once that, that was plenty of room for ventilation.

Vadude
12-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Im gonna be running 2 Rl-ps in a single cab (12's). I will have one inch behind each of them, and I was told more than once that, that was plenty of room for ventilation.

I think it also depends on if a only a portion of the subs magnet is .5-1" away from the wall, rather than the entire magnet itself.

sort of like

. /
/
-----

rather than

------
------

KnOkIn It 420
12-10-2005, 06:39 PM
If u do go with a shallow mounting sub I recommend the premier shallow mount subs, sound great seal and keeps up with full sized 12s,The audiobahn pro compressions or what ever are loud but sound like crap.

yz_gt69
12-13-2005, 01:40 AM
hey noob,
i fit 2 12" MTX thunders under my the seat in my 04 sierra. I achieved this by fabricating some 2" blocks to lift the back seat. pm me, i could probably give you some step-by-step's and when i get home next week, i'll get some pics for ya.

the_noob
12-14-2005, 04:03 PM
lol, this thread is a little old, but thanks for the (belated) help anyway.

yz_gt69
12-14-2005, 06:57 PM
holy $hit, lol it is an oldie....

Subz
12-14-2005, 09:23 PM
For what it's worth. My 8" had only about 1/4" clearance between to bottom-most point and the back of the box, but it still sounds good. I haven't had any problems with it. But I've got a sealed box, may matter more for ported.