PDA

View Full Version : need help with box porting

el_chupo_
03-24-2005, 05:44 PM
My friend has an audiobahn aw1208t(the flame q that handles 1000 or 1500 watts RMS). He currently has it in a homebuilt 2.3ft^3 box, sealed. We are contemplating porting the box. He wants to tune it for sound quality, not for spl. I know that most of you will say to tell him to sell it or something, but he really likes the sub, ive tried to tell him sell it, but he wont.

That said, what frequency we should tune it to, and I found the port length calculator at the12volt.com. Is it an accurate calculator? we would like to use the box he as and put in round ports, probably using pvc pipe. Is this a good idea, or should we find a different material.

Thanks for the help

Matt

bcarpenterfhl
03-24-2005, 06:17 PM
i can design you a box... hit me up on AIM (screen name bcarpenterfhl) in you're interested. u can also PM me, but i'm less likely to answer.

InhumanAcura
03-24-2005, 06:20 PM
go to the audiobahn website...

el_chupo_
03-24-2005, 11:30 PM
bcarpenterfhl: we already have a box that fits the specs, we just need to poert it. Plus we already went through the process of building one that fit the back of his jeep and all, and dont care to do that unless we have to. Plus, we cant learn to do ported designs any younger. Thanks

InhumanAcura: went there, but for some reason I cant get the PDFs for specs and such, so i figgured i would ask here and see if anyone had the subs or did an install for them. Thanks though.

i read a thread that said pvc was ok to use, im wondering what wall thickness i need to get, as well as if the port calculator is accurate. thanks

Matt

Moe Lester
03-25-2005, 01:29 AM
more than likely you will need to build a new box. you need 2 4" ports minimum. Going from sealed to ported requires a change in airspace, and the ports displace airspace. the box will need to be larger to have the correct airspace with everything inside of it.

el_chupo_
03-25-2005, 10:45 AM
I got to the audiobahn web site and it said the recomended ported for everyay use was a 2.3 CF tuned to 38hz. It recomends a 4x7.25 port. this will drop my CF to about 2 with sub and port dispacement. Is this gonna be bad? sould i tune it lower?

Moe: i dont think he cares enough to build a new bos, at least not untill we get out of school. He just wants to mess arround and get some decent soud quality. We may decide to build a new box if using this one doesnt work, but we have 6 weeks till school is out, and are bored... Thanks for the info, and if this doesnt work, well look into a new box

Also, the box was built a while back, so i need to remeasure and check for sure about the volume.
Thanks

Matt

DFW40
03-28-2005, 11:47 AM
If you are going for SQ you will want to tune around 32hz or even lower depending on the sub but I would stay at 32 because when you get lower your port gets longer and you lose even more airspace. The 4 inch diameter pvc will work fine as long as you round off the edges to get it flared (router works well on the outside port entrance. I assume the 12volt calcualtor works fine but I have never compared it to any other calculators. I have my Brahma 12 in a 2.0 box tuned to 25hz with a 4 inch pvc port and get almost no port noise. But I'm told the smaller the box and higher the tuning the more port noise you will get per given sub and port area.