PDA

View Full Version : sealed box volume for 15A ???

g30ffr3y
03-24-2005, 11:30 AM
right now ive got my 15A ported in 2.2^3 @ 30hz or so but
i wanted to try a sealed box for it since the flat cone O series
sounds so good sealed...

anyways... anyone know the recommended volume for this
**** beast???

JimJ
03-24-2005, 11:33 AM
eD recommended is 1.5cF.

g30ffr3y
03-24-2005, 11:44 AM
ever try an A sealed???

1.5^3 seems kinda small since the girlfriends 12" O is in 1.8^3...

hrmm...

JimJ
03-24-2005, 11:47 AM
Nope, never wanted to after hearing my A ported the first time :D

What alignment do you have that O in?

g30ffr3y
03-24-2005, 12:05 PM
alignment?

ngsm13
03-24-2005, 01:25 PM
ever try an A sealed???

Little smaller sub ;) but...

I had my e8a in .4 cubes sealed, threw 650 watts rms to that sucker...it WANGED...I'm for real. Wish I never would have sold it...the 8a's are the most potent production 8's I've heard...i'd put it head to head against an 8w7 any day. Can't wait for SoundSplinter's new 8's to come out (based on same design...)

g30ffr3y
03-24-2005, 01:32 PM
i love the sub... just want to experiment with different enclosures...
now that im crossing my sub at 63 and down i want to focus on
getting the LOWS instead of foolishly trying to gain midbass out
of a subwoofer...

having the SSF turned on with the ported box is hindering things
a bit me things...

those soundsplinter 8"s do look amazing... but ive got a lot of
interior work to do before i try changing out subs again...

DFW40
03-24-2005, 03:42 PM
you need to go to the site below and they have some calculators that can give you the qtc of a particular sealed enclosure so you have an idea of how it will sound. Look on 116 half way down and you can throw in your subs specs and get an idea. I have to go to a meeting right now.

http://www.bcae1.com/ look to the menu on the right #116

JAZN
03-24-2005, 04:16 PM
the 8a's are the most potent production 8's I've heard...i'd put it head to head against an 8w7 any day. Can't wait for SoundSplinter's new 8's to come out (based on same design...)
the e8a was the coolest 8" woofer ive ever seen, IMO. those prototype subs look promising too.

Str8Up
03-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Well,

I was wondering the same thing. BTW, mine is a 15AE. So, I called ED about 2 weeks ago and asked. Contrary to the sheet that came with it that said a MAXIMUM of 1.5 cubic feet, the tech told me that they recommend between 1.5 cubic feet and 1.7 cubic feet for maximum performance ;)

And as always, I called back a couple of dayz later to talk with a different tech and asked him the same to see if he gave the same answer. You'd be surprised how many companies have had different techs give me totally different answers...cough, cough, Eclipse. But yeah, the other tech said the exact same thing :) 1.5 - 1.7

Right now, the sealed box that my 15AE is in right now is larger than your ported box, lol. It's 2.3 cu.ft. :D It's ridiculously effecient in that box though, lol. But the lows are WAY more present than the upper bass notes. I guess an oversized box plus cabin gain will do that.

I've just been too lazy to get another box. That box was an optimum sealed box for one of my Crystal CMPx2 15's

I'm looking into getting a subzone enclosure for mine, it's 1.5 cubic feet. I want tight and puncy now, I'm burnt out on exaggerated lows with my oversized box. That's why I'm chosing the smallest acceptable size, 1.5 Though it'll probably be about 1.4 after displacement. If its too tight, i'll just add some polyfil, no prob.

But yeah man, 1.5 - 1.7 cubic feet ;)