PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer vs Alpine

drgthang
03-23-2005, 11:48 PM
Ok Im a car stereo junkie all of a sudden, doin my research. Just got a new ride and want a good stereo in place of the Sony MP3 cd player Im gonna sell off..Here's the deal:

Pioneer DEH-7700MP, looks stylish and I hear Pioneer is neck and neck for sound with Alpine. I read that this model can control TV or DVD is that true and what does that mean?

Alpine CDA 9851 or 9853 I've looked heavily at these as well because I hear Alpine is top notch sound and these let you control an IPOD (which I dont have but may get). Also I see it lets u adjust a set of subs from the deck.

Can some people direct me towards a deck (either those above or comparable 1) I should get for my new ride that is both stylish but sounds good? I dont need it to be an all out graphics display but would like something cool lookin that sounds good...Thanks, MC

bhsswrstlr
03-23-2005, 11:51 PM
alpine...case closed

drgthang
03-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Any particular Alpine deck you would suggest??

JAZN
03-24-2005, 12:17 AM
im gonna go with the 9853 out of all those. altho they all have crap preout voltages which is blah. the tv/dvd control means if u install a dvd player/tv tuner, u connect those to the head unit and u can control it from the head unit. the alpine is supposedly more user friendly with the ipods, but theyre still compatible with pioneers.

Expy2000
03-24-2005, 12:20 AM
Alpine

" rep yo' city mother ******!!!! "....

Twocool4u1
03-24-2005, 12:20 AM
alpine 9833 is $300 at crutchfield.com
its similiar to the 9855 but $150 cheaper. the 9833 it was last years model. it doesnt have that glide touch thing.
i just bought this yesterday. i also bought the kca420i IPOD adapter for $100

use this referral code and save $20.00

p4k97-i0xjc-rj48x

JAZN
03-24-2005, 12:22 AM
^probably the best deal as of now, unless u could find a premier 860 for <$300.

drgthang
03-24-2005, 12:29 AM
Thanks guys. JAZN, I see you have the Premier 860, any reasons u would suggest or not suggest it? What are it's best features? Also, why are people so high on the Alpine 9833 over the 9851 or 9853, arent the latter 2 more up to date models?

Finally, will the Alpines be able to integrate into any sort of mobile video/TV tuner/DVD system pretty well? thanks again..MC

JAZN
03-24-2005, 12:35 AM
Thanks guys. JAZN, I see you have the Premier 860, any reasons u would suggest or not suggest it? What are it's best features? Also, why are people so high on the Alpine 9833 over the 9851 or 9853, arent the latter 2 more up to date models?
i would suggest the premier 860 if u know wth ur doing. it has a lot of features but if u dont know how to use em, ur just wasting ur money and ur gonna get totally confused. people recommend the 9833 over the newer models because its cheaper yet still has just about the same(even some better) features than the newer stuff. seems like alpine is cutting costs this year, so i would recommend the 9833 (unless of course u want that cool touchslide strip on the 9853). newer models are also supposedly more ipod friendly.

drgthang
03-24-2005, 12:42 AM
I see what you mean about the Pioneer. Im not dumb when it comes to technology but at the same time Im not into tinkering with each little numerical value for this or that to make the sound perfect, so the Pioneer might confuse me. What features are you saying the Alpine 9833 has that the newer ones dont? Also I see the Alpine 9833 has something called "Mobile Hub ready"? What does this mean? Also it has a "Blackout display"? Im new to the terms..Thanks!

drgthang
03-24-2005, 12:46 AM
twocool4u1, does the alpine 9833 u got from crutchfield have the ability to control DVD/TV if hooked up? Thanks, MC

JAZN
03-24-2005, 12:54 AM
What features are you saying the Alpine 9833 has that the newer ones dont? Also I see the Alpine 9833 has something called "Mobile Hub ready"? What does this mean? Also it has a "Blackout display"? Im new to the terms..Thanks!
the 9833 has 4v preouts, a stronger internal amp(only important if ur gonna use it), umm not sure what else. im not really familiar with the 9853. mobile hub has to do with ur cell phone i think. blackout means u can turn the display off (altho the head unit is still running), which would provide a touch more voltage to spare.

drgthang
03-24-2005, 01:04 AM
Ok thanks for clarifying the terms. How tough is it to integrate DVD/TV in with the 9833? I have a new Accord, it has a spot for a monitor below the climate controls..

300m_on_xxx
03-24-2005, 02:22 AM
Alpine hands down

M@nJo
03-24-2005, 02:39 AM
pioneer premier DEH-p8mp

6.5v preamp out puts, front/rear/sub (non fade)
very nice OEL blue face display, customizable
ipod compatible
http://pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4041_76829766,00.html

Twocool4u1
03-24-2005, 02:50 AM
here is some detailed info with descriptions of some terms:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-s7KokkMNuBo/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=62700&id=detailed_info&i=500cda9833

i think with the AI net you can buy different adapters for different things. i'm not sure though. i didn't really buy it for dvd/tv stuff.

drgthang
03-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Looks like Crutchfield isnt carrying it any longer.. too bad. They had a scratch and dent one on there yesterday for $254..shoulda snatched it! (9833)..Ill try my luck with ebay..or the Pioneer..

g30ffr3y
03-24-2005, 01:11 PM
i dont know about all this alpine hands down stuff..

i had an admittedly cheaper alpine... the 9831 and it was a
b!tch to use and i didnt really like it at all...

i got a premier 860 pretty cheap on ebay and i like it A LOT
more than the alpine...

drgthang
03-24-2005, 03:32 PM
g30ffr3y what features do you like most about the Pioneer?, I am considering it, I do like its display and what Im reading about it. It just appears Alpine gets rated top dog for sound over and over. And customer reviews dont mention too many cons with Alpine..lemme know..MC

zachzchw
03-24-2005, 05:05 PM
I have a premier 860. Cant compare it to any of the alpine models listed (no experience with them) but I will say that I love the sound out of the pioneer. If you dont want to mess with all the settings, use the supplied mic and just use the auto eq to set everything. Seems to do a pretty good job of balancing sound, without having to adjust every little thing like you said.

99civicgurl
03-26-2005, 09:59 AM
i have one of each and i like them both but now its time to get rid of them. i'm upgrading soon. i'm tryin 2 let my pioneer system go for 370 and the alpine for 450

g30ffr3y
03-26-2005, 10:42 AM
g30ffr3y what features do you like most about the Pioneer?, I am considering it, I do like its display and what Im reading about it. It just appears Alpine gets rated top dog for sound over and over. And customer reviews dont mention too many cons with Alpine..lemme know..MC

the whole user interface is A LOT easier on the pioneer... especially making
adjustments while your driving which was nearly impossible with the alpine.
the pioneer is just more intuitive and ive got it sounding better than i ever
got the alpine to sound.

the screen on the premier is easy to read and even has 2 fonts in case you
dont like one. the movie thing does get old after a while so if thats something
thats enticing you on the premier it will quickly not be as beneficial as you
thought it would be... but it is a hell of a lot nicer than the alpines display and
a cool feature to have.

from what ive read the ipod thing for alpine is actually a big joke for anyone
with a ipod full of thousands of songs... im hoping the premier one will do
one better than the alpine... but i dont have it yet...

youll probably be happy with either on honestly. but even if the premier seems
to have more "confusing" features... they are easy to learn and once you get
it, tuning the premier is a breeze. on the other hand... even an alpine with less
features is going to be confusing for a long time... and frustrating if you cant get
it to sound all that good at all...

Ignatowski
03-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Alpine>Pioneer
I made the switch - unbeliveable

JAZN
03-27-2005, 12:44 AM
Alpine>Pioneer
I made the switch - unbeliveable
which models did/do u have?

JLCivic
03-27-2005, 08:28 AM
I would buy an eclipse over alpine or pioneer. If the ipod integration is THAT important to you, get the alpine(or check out clarion....they have an ipod controller available as well).

Good luck with whatever you buy.

drgthang
03-28-2005, 02:23 AM
Well I made the decision. I ordered a remanufact. Pioneer 860MP from Ebay for $310 shipped. Ive seen too much positive publicity from people here and other reviews on it to pass it up a the start for the center of my car's AV system. I like all its versatility and how it can be added on to. Plus it sounds like it has great sound quality and its easy to locate mp3's on a cd. I'll try to update again once I have it installed, it might be a while, because I know the Accord's a @$%( to get stuff into...Thanks for all your advice..MC

ntense702
03-28-2005, 02:33 AM
alpine pretty much has HU's on lock, but from what I've seen and heard Pioneer is on the same page of quality and popularity, either or you'd be good with any modern model of either brand

MetalMaxima
03-29-2005, 07:37 AM
Ok thanks for clarifying the terms. How tough is it to integrate DVD/TV in with the 9833? I have a new Accord, it has a spot for a monitor below the climate controls..

Not hard at all. There is a wiring adapter that you will need to purchase for an auxilary input on the 9833. It cost $15 and plugs in where the CD changer would plug in on the back of the unit. Adapter to DVD player, then DVD player to monitor. Not hard at all.