PDA

View Full Version : thinking of kicker SS series as subs replacement?

soccrstar
03-22-2005, 10:58 PM
OK, my current setup is as follows

HU: Pioneer P8MP
Front speakers: DA D661S
Rear Speakers: DA CM361

and i've notice that rear hits alot harder than the front, i guess its the way HUs are made, so bass drops and such are louder, more noticible in rear. so i was thinking would getting the Kicker SS Series SSMB8 midbass driver further increase the bass drops, (louder) as if they were subs? currently running everything off HU amp. has some nice bass but would like a little more without sacrificing so much trunk space. or maby put 8" RE subs in rear in place of rear speakers?... as thats all my rears are, like mini subs, all the highs n such are coming from front... sounds like it...

heres the specs of the 8" driver

Mid-Range Speaker Specifications

Size: 8
Sensitivity: 89 dB
Frequency Response: 30-500 Hz
Recommended RMS Power: 175W
Peak Power Handling: 350W
Impedance: 4 ohms

according to specs its capable of going down to 30hz? which is sub frequencies?

would this be a wise investment to drop my DA CM361 and put these big babies in place? i would have to enlarge the current opening to fit the 8" while keeping a factory look. and since speakers are in rear, it dont matter bout the depth in rear as it'll be dangling in trunk.

squeak9798
03-23-2005, 11:14 AM
according to specs its capable of going down to 30hz? which is sub frequencies?

That doesn't always mean it is actually capable of accurately reproducing those frequencies. I can show you some subs that have a FR that goes up to 2.5khz. Does that mean it would be wise to actually play them that high? Absolutely not. So, don't go just by the "rated" frequency response.

Honestly, I would call Kicker up or PM Polecat on here and ask them if the SS 8" would be able to be used as (and would excel if used as) a subwoofer.

I would also look into alteast amping whatever speaker you choose to use as a sub. Doesn't have to be anything monsterous....just something small like 100w or whatever.